What's the Best Home Gym System?

ok i have several questions for all the fitness pros on here

i go to an actual gym so i dont ever bother with these home fitness gym however a very good friend of mine is looking to invest in a home gym

price is not an issue for him he just wants to make sure hes getting what hes paying for …hes not really a beginner hes just looking to get back into shape.

now … with this said i have several questions for all u home gym pros out there…

1.)

i was looking at the Bowflex Xtreme Home Gym
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2643211&cp=&sr=1&origkw=bowflex+home&kw=bowflex+home&parentPage=search

$1,000

VS

the Bowflex Revolutions Xtreme Home Gym
$2,000

http://www.bowflexrevolution.com/bowflex_revolution/products/revolutionxp/prdcdovr~100081/Bowflex+Revolution+XP+Home+Gym.jsp

is the new “spiraflex” technology in the new revolutions bowflex machine worth the 1,000 dollar price difference? if so why? it looks liek all the same exercises!

are there any superior options to bowflex??

2.) can anyone reccomend a good stationary exercise bike? does Nordic Track make the best ones?

thanks guys!!!

Get a barbell, some plates and a power rack.

DO NOT BUY THE BOWFLEX!!! Unless you’re old (80+)and just want to stay active or you have a debilitating injury that prevents you from using iron save your money.

I had one for a year and actually got weaker, I know it sounds stupid but I did (probably lost stability muscle strength). Sold the bowflex, bought a cage,some olympic weights and couldn’t be happier.

Agree with these guys. Buy weights, not a bowflex.

ocsurfdude,
You’re probably not going to get anyone on this site to give you advice on a Bowflex, as you’ve probably already figured out. If you can talk your friend into an olympic weight set, he will be much better off and it will be cheaper starting off. Realizing that a lot of “mainstream” people won’t consider free weights, you’re probably better off going to Amazon or another non-BB site for advice on those types of products.

DB

A client of mine had the Crossbow and another the Bowflex. I didn’t like either of them.

Is space an issue?
If so, I’d go for the power-blocks (depending on what weight he needs).

but as mentioned barbell, plates, etc

Bowflex = crap. Buy a barbell weightset at modells or wherever and a power rack. It’ll be cheaper and more effective.

Contact Dr Ellington Darden… or go to www.drdarden.com and look around for topics concerning the Bowflex.

But I’d go for the rack, Oly set and a bench if I were you. You may think a Bowflex is a convenient space saver, but a barbell is the best and most versatile training tool you can buy.

another vote for power rack.

bowflex sucks ass dude and its so limited also. get some adjustable dumbbells too.

all you need is a bench, barbell, plates, dumb bells and you pretty much have a gym…oh and get an e-z curl bar too, its so much easier for close grip bench than straight bar.

the only thing i dont like about home gyms is lack of variety. especially for tricep movements because for me i cant do pullovers, or those 1 arm extensions or behind the neck with the DB because of shoulder problem. id suggest if your friend hasnt trained in a gmy he do that first so he can see what movements hes capable of before he indulges into a weight set.

Bowflex is all marketing. I know a lot of people prefer working out at home but has he even thought about a gym membership? My old home gym was a great laundry rack/dust bunny collector.

If it has to be at home then I agree with these guys. Olympic set, a bench and some dumb bells.

spiraflex technology? seriously?

Bowflex is pretty useless. The only thing I’d remotely consider from bowflex are there “select tech dumb bells” if you’re living quarters arent exactly huge.

But even then…that sht is expensive to get the adjustable weights up to 90lbs. Its around 800 dollars.

www.infomercialscams.com is ur friend.

iron will be cheaper.

My brother has a bowflex knock off he bought a Sears. I hooked up all the bands that were supposed to equal 180lbs. It felt like 100lbs. Granted the cable runs through about 10 pulleys which increases the mechanical advantage. They are a joke.

[quote]ocsurfdude wrote:
ok i have several questions for all the fitness pros on here

i go to an actual gym so i dont ever bother with these home fitness gym however a very good friend of mine is looking to invest in a home gym

price is not an issue for him he just wants to make sure hes getting what hes paying for …hes not really a beginner hes just looking to get back into shape.

now … with this said i have several questions for all u home gym pros out there…

1.)

i was looking at the Bowflex Xtreme Home Gym
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2643211&cp=&sr=1&origkw=bowflex+home&kw=bowflex+home&parentPage=search

$1,000

VS

the Bowflex Revolutions Xtreme Home Gym
$2,000

http://www.bowflexrevolution.com/bowflex_revolution/products/revolutionxp/prdcdovr~100081/Bowflex+Revolution+XP+Home+Gym.jsp

is the new “spiraflex” technology in the new revolutions bowflex machine worth the 1,000 dollar price difference? if so why? it looks liek all the same exercises!

are there any superior options to bowflex??

2.) can anyone reccomend a good stationary exercise bike? does Nordic Track make the best ones?

thanks guys!!![/quote]

A power rack from New York Barbell (great prices), and my personal favorite, an adjustable kettlebell (google it). Add in a good Oly set and that’s all you’ll need.

elitefts.com

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
My brother has a bowflex knock off he bought a Sears. I hooked up all the bands that were supposed to equal 180lbs. It felt like 100lbs. Granted the cable runs through about 10 pulleys which increases the mechanical advantage. They are a joke.[/quote]

This is very true. Not just of the knockoffs but Bowflex crap, too. The poundage you use on those pieces of crap won’t be at all equivalent to free weights and will give you a false sense of strength. It’ll be a real reality check to try to move the same weight with a barbell and plates.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
spiraflex technology? seriously?[/quote]

bwahahahahaha

its really good for getting cut muscles instead of putting on bulk mass, nawmean bro?

While watching WCL last night I discovered that the Total Gym is the best machine for martial arts conditioning. Maybe you should get one of those? It’s only $30! And Chuck Norris uses one.

1. Bench with oly bar and #300 plates: ~$300 on Craigslist

2. Extra plates ~$100

3. Band pack, prowler, blast-straps from EliteFTS: ~$500

4. Assorted dumbbells: ~$300

That’ll run you about $1,200 and get you wayyyy stronger than the Bowflex.