What Should Training Be Like for These Goals?

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
See about the numbers thing, my numbers are nothing compared to almost anybody here, but at 170 lb, I can do 90 lb in each hand dumbell bench press 10 reps, 245 lb squat for 7 reps, 205 lb bench press 7 reps, 245 lb deadlift 7 reps, 70 lb in each hand shoulder press 7 reps, and finally 205 lb standing shoulder press 5 reps.
[/quote]

Wow 21 years old with three years training and you can only squat and deadlift 245 for 7 reps. You are well behind the curve man, especially to be criticising Cutler’s strength.

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
Alright looks like I have to lay out my training plan that I think will work. Spar4tee, thanks for at least giving some kind of advice. But here’s how I plan to train. Keep in mind I only have enough money to get whey protein and can’t really follow CT’s training because it is crowded as hell in my gym and I have no money to get a prowler.

monday-chest-tri

Ramping weight all the way to work set-once there, bench press 3 sets for 5-7 reps. Only last set will be to failure. I’ll just say it now, every single exercise will be trained with the same sets and reps. All reps will be done as explosive as possible, trying to use perfect form. I would think slowing down the eccentric could increase strength as per my goal, but somebody told me power is much more efficient, provided you’re actually giving forth effort to be explosive as possible as opposed to just lift the bar faster.
Incline bench
Dips
Standing French press
Tricep pulldown

Wednesday-back-bi

deadlift
pull-ups
rows
biceps
barbell curl
chin-up
Snatches

Legs

Back Squats
Front Squats
Dumbbell leg curls(on the ground)
Dumbbell Leg extensions(sitting on the hammer press machine)
Stiff-legged deadlift

Shoulders-
Dumbbell Shoulder press OR barbell shoulder press
Front raises
Power shrugs
Power cleans

I’m starting it this week. Anybody, feel free to critique. If you call me dumb for this routine, let me know what I can change.

I used to work out six days a week, but people told me that’s just too much, and strangely when I dialed it back, I started getting even stronger and a bit bigger. But if somebody thinks otherwise, let me know what I should do.[/quote]
What are your living circumstances like? If you have the open space, you can make your own sled. There’s a thread about somewhere on here.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
Alright looks like I have to lay out my training plan that I think will work. Spar4tee, thanks for at least giving some kind of advice. But here’s how I plan to train. Keep in mind I only have enough money to get whey protein and can’t really follow CT’s training because it is crowded as hell in my gym and I have no money to get a prowler.

monday-chest-tri

Ramping weight all the way to work set-once there, bench press 3 sets for 5-7 reps. Only last set will be to failure. I’ll just say it now, every single exercise will be trained with the same sets and reps. All reps will be done as explosive as possible, trying to use perfect form. I would think slowing down the eccentric could increase strength as per my goal, but somebody told me power is much more efficient, provided you’re actually giving forth effort to be explosive as possible as opposed to just lift the bar faster.
Incline bench
Dips
Standing French press
Tricep pulldown

Wednesday-back-bi

deadlift
pull-ups
rows
biceps
barbell curl
chin-up
Snatches

Legs

Back Squats
Front Squats
Stiff-legged deadlift

Shoulders-
Front raises
Power shrugs
Power cleans

I’m starting it this week. Anybody, feel free to critique. If you call me dumb for this routine, let me know what I can change.

I used to work out six days a week, but people told me that’s just too much, and strangely when I dialed it back, I started getting even stronger and a bit bigger. But if somebody thinks otherwise, let me know what I should do.[/quote]
What are your living circumstances like? If you have the open space, you can make your own sled. There’s a thread about somewhere on here.[/quote]
Here it is

and an article for the road

The Prowler is really just a sled with handles

Slowing down the eccentric will increase growth stimulus but it won’t make you stronger. In fact, it could have a negative effect on performance. Control the eccentric to maintain tightness, form, and bar path, but it doesn’t have to be slow.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

monday-chest-tri

Incline bench
Dips
Standing French press
Tricep pulldown

Wednesday-back-bi

deadlift
pull-ups
rows
biceps
barbell curl
chin-up
Snatches

Legs

Back Squats
Front Squats
Stiff-legged deadlift

Shoulders-
Front raises
Power shrugs
Power cleans

What are your living circumstances like? If you have the open space, you can make your own sled. There’s a thread about somewhere on here.[/quote]

It’s in a neighborhood. Yeah, I’d have to cut together the supplies. I’ll look into it. But if my dad doesn’t have supplies lay around(or his garage is so messy I can’t find anything), I have to do without a sled for the time being.

Also add in some rear delt work for balance and injury prevention as well as some ab stuff

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
Also add in some rear delt work for balance and injury prevention as well as some ab stuff[/quote]

Ah lateral raises into the shoulder day then as well as some face pulls. Abs, to tell you the truth it’s the one thing I want to do for physique purposes, getting it down to 29 inches.

I’m pretty proud of myself right now because nobody, at least not within the first hour has said my routine is sh**.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
See about the numbers thing, my numbers are nothing compared to almost anybody here, but at 170 lb, I can do 90 lb in each hand dumbell bench press 10 reps, 245 lb squat for 7 reps, 205 lb bench press 7 reps, 245 lb deadlift 7 reps, 70 lb in each hand shoulder press 7 reps, and finally 205 lb standing shoulder press 5 reps.
[/quote]

Wow 21 years old with three years training and you can only squat and deadlift 245 for 7 reps. You are well behind the curve man, especially to be criticising Cutler’s strength.[/quote]

Ok I am way off bendthebar. That was broseph criticising cutler’s strength not you. My mistake.

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
I’m pretty proud of myself right now because nobody, at least not within the first hour has said my routine is sh**.[/quote]
It isn’t. You just need to figure out your rep/set schemes. I’d recommend 5x2-3 on the deads and cleans and 4-5x5 on the back and front squats. Bench press I’d say alternate between 3x5 and 5x3. Your other presses can be the same or have a slight higher rep emphasis. For the curls raises, stick to moderate to high reps. For the other lifts, it depends on what purpose you intend for them. I’m not telling you what to do just making suggestions based on my own opinion.

If you want to get better at fighting and arm wressling I suggest practicing and being trained in those two areas.

Simultaneously just lift to get big and strong. For the next six months, at your age, with where you are now in your development I don’t see either one of those two pursuits cancelling the other out. Um, unless you get injured.

Arm Wressling really IS alot to do with technique. If you want to win you’re going to need to learn the proper technique. Of course getting stronger will be of additional benefit.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
[/quote]

Wow 21 years old with three years training and you can only squat and deadlift 245 for 7 reps. You are well behind the curve man, especially to be criticising Cutler’s strength.[/quote]

Ok I am way off bendthebar. That was broseph criticising cutler’s strength not you. My mistake.[/quote]

Wow ladies, calm down. I’m not even criticizing Cutler’s strength. He’s a bodybuilder, there’s no reason why I should criticize it.

A) I said that I’ve seen pros lift very light pre contest. Someone asked for a video, and I did what I was asked.

B) I solidified the idea that strength and muscle mass aren’t necessarily linear, by comparing Cutler’s (claimed by another poster) 700lb squat, to someone’s exact same squat a whole 6 weight classes below.

Nothing against Cutler. He has achieved more in bodybuilding than I ever will in several lifetimes.
Now sheesh, I’ve learned my lesson. I’ll never NOT suck the shriveled balls of these prophets, less I be lynched again.

[quote]Broseph21 wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
[/quote]

Ok I am way off bendthebar. That was broseph criticising cutler’s strength not you. My mistake.[/quote]

Wow ladies, calm down. I’m not even criticizing Cutler’s strength. He’s a bodybuilder, there’s no reason why I should criticize it.

A) I said that I’ve seen pros lift very light pre contest. Someone asked for a video, and I did what I was asked.

B) I solidified the idea that strength and muscle mass aren’t necessarily linear, by comparing Cutler’s (claimed by another poster) 700lb squat, to someone’s exact same squat a whole 6 weight classes below.

Nothing against Cutler. He has achieved more in bodybuilding than I ever will in several lifetimes.
Now sheesh, I’ve learned my lesson. I’ll never NOT suck the shriveled balls of these prophets, less I be lynched again.
[/quote]
Like I said. Don’t sweat it. All that occurred was a difference in thought processes. You are entitled to your opinion. It’s just best to be mindful of your wording so that you don’t come across the wrong way.

My boy Spar4tee, how dare you approve that routine! lol. I agree with the set/rep rotations that Spar. recomended but honestly you need to cut out all the other bull shit isolation exercises for now. Build a base strength; focus on getting stronger and eating 6 times a day. 3 meals and 3 snacks. If you want to really look like a body builder but have some life applicable strength then

prioritze your time in the weight room around the core lifts ; bench over head press squat and dead lift. After reading about your strength levels, it sounds like it might do you some good follow Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program. Its simple, and produces resualts.

If you guys really wanted to help the guy you’d point him in the direction of power cleans. It’s full body strength. If I were you with your goals, I’d stick to lots of squats and power cleans with a ton of intensive abdominal and grip work. Idc what anybody on this forum tells you, the legs make a man.
Wanna learn how to fight? Find a boxing class. Who cares if you suck at arm wrestling, arm wrestling is a boys test of strength, not a mans. This is T-Nation, where nuts have been dropped and people love to lift heavy shit. Seriously, don’t over complicate this because youre not the only one in the world who is seeking more functional strength. Eat, sleep, train hard, nourish relationships and make the most of your life. Train your mind as hard as your body and you’ll get there it’s that simple. Work on your cardio, live long and prosper dude. When it’s all said and done and your old and gray it won’t really matter that every muscle in your body when visible and that you could lift x amount of weight.
What really matters is that your heart still beats like a champ and you can out last and edure more than most men.

Good luck

[quote]Chase44 wrote:
My boy Spar4tee, how dare you approve that routine! lol. I agree with the set/rep rotations that Spar. recomended but honestly you need to cut out all the other bull shit isolation exercises for now. Build a base strength; focus on getting stronger and eating 6 times a day. 3 meals and 3 snacks. If you want to really look like a body builder but have some life applicable strength then

prioritze your time in the weight room around the core lifts ; bench over head press squat and dead lift. After reading about your strength levels, it sounds like it might do you some good follow Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program. Its simple, and produces resualts.

If you guys really wanted to help the guy you’d point him in the direction of power cleans. It’s full body strength. If I were you with your goals, I’d stick to lots of squats and power cleans with a ton of intensive abdominal and grip work. Idc what anybody on this forum tells you, the legs make a man.
Wanna learn how to fight? Find a boxing class. Who cares if you suck at arm wrestling, arm wrestling is a boys test of strength, not a mans. This is T-Nation, where nuts have been dropped and people love to lift heavy shit. Seriously, don’t over complicate this because youre not the only one in the world who is seeking more functional strength. Eat, sleep, train hard, nourish relationships and make the most of your life. Train your mind as hard as your body and you’ll get there it’s that simple. Work on your cardio, live long and prosper dude. When it’s all said and done and your old and gray it won’t really matter that every muscle in your body when visible and that you could lift x amount of weight.
What really matters is that your heart still beats like a champ and you can out last and edure more than most men.

Good luck[/quote]
Lulz Reminds of Doug Hepburn stills being able to deadlift 500+ with a club foot in his 50s (or was it 60s). The problem I have is that the OP hasn’t really declared a concise short term goal so getting to the knitty gritty is a bit of a shot in the dark for me (just a tad).

[quote]Broseph21 wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Broseph21 wrote:

I’ve seen some videos of pre-contest pros where they’re piss weak.[/quote]

Links?[/quote]

Here’s Jay pushing some sissy weight for the next Olympia: - YouTube

If you don’t need to be strong to get as big as (or close to) Cutler, why haven’t you done it? If you are even of average strength, surely you are about as big as he is, right?

OP you are stupid if you think that making your entire body bigger and stronger somehow DOESN’T translate to being strong “in real life.”

who cares if the guy can’t make up his mind about a short term goal yet. The overall goal should be to look lift and live strong.
If he always does what he’s always done he’ll always get what he’s always got. WORD lol

Okay. Strength is king and longevity is its Excalibur.

Thank you!