Weightlifters are Minority

[quote]shizen wrote:
You should try to inform them more about weightlifting and why its fun for you. I always try to get some of my friends to try weightlifting I’ve gotten several of them into it.[/quote]

Yeah. If I get lucky, I’ll be in a powerful position to initiate a fitness forum, not the “as seen on TV” shit, but I’ll bring many T-Nation ideas to it. Heck, I might even plan a strongman fitness challenge. Haha…

But I can’t seem to convince my friends to join me. They’d rather play basketball or frisbee as their physical activity, or they’re just too lazy to get in shape.

[quote]Uber N3wb wrote:
f they laugh at you when you say you like lifting weights, chances are you are small and weak and its ironic.

Its probably not because they think your a freak.

But hey, what do I know.[/quote]

Well, for caucatian standards, I am small and weak. However, we’re Southeast Asian and we are an ectomorph race, so for my height, I’m bigger and stronger than the most of the population. My friends say that I’m already “too big” but if you see photos of me, the first thing you guys will say is “eat more”. In any case, I’ll contnue my pursuit of getting stronger.

[quote]Dickie_B wrote:
Of course weightlifting is a minority OP. Most forms of committed exercise regimes are. I had a 20 year old college student tell me the other day the bulging muscles are “grotesque and ridiculous”.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s what they all say here. Lol.

Looks like everybody lost track of this thread’s purpose. This ain’t suppossed to be about me. It’s about your experiences that exposed the fact that weightlifters are part of a small subcultural minority. Or mabye it just not as prevalent there in the US?

Thanks for the kind words though.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:

You’re in the US right?[/quote]

Yeah, I go to Boston Latin School and even though I lift, I’m still smaller than most of the guys there. However, when there is an all filipino party, I stick out as a big guy.

To bring it back on topic, I actually do remember going to the Y. I asked a couple of my friends there if they wanted to spot me but just replied that if he wanted to get big, he would just play more basketball and eat.

I think it’s because they can’t see you lift weights instantly. Gain alot more mass, and then the teacher would instead have said “What do you li… oh you probably like to train”

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Uber N3wb wrote:
f they laugh at you when you say you like lifting weights, chances are you are small and weak and its ironic.

Its probably not because they think your a freak.

But hey, what do I know.

Well, for caucatian standards, I am small and weak. However, we’re Southeast Asian and we are an ectomorph race, so for my height, I’m bigger and stronger than the most of the population. My friends say that I’m already “too big” but if you see photos of me, the first thing you guys will say is “eat more”. In any case, I’ll contnue my pursuit of getting stronger.[/quote]

Iam now going to move to southeast Asian.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Makavali wrote:
How have you made over 1300 posts since June last year? Go to the gym, man!

I do somewhat religiously. I have a training log here. It’s easy to have that many posts if you ask many questions and make 1-liner comments.[/quote]

word

[quote]HighVoltage wrote:
undeadlift wrote:

You’re in the US right?

Yeah, I go to Boston Latin School and even though I lift, I’m still smaller than most of the guys there. However, when there is an all filipino party, I stick out as a big guy.

To bring it back on topic, I actually do remember going to the Y. I asked a couple of my friends there if they wanted to spot me but just replied that if he wanted to get big, he would just play more basketball and eat. [/quote]

Exactly! Haha. My cousins are actually asking me what supplements and steroids I’m taking.

Back on topic, in the gym, I am also part of a small minority. Only a few of us deadlift and I’m the only ATG squatter. There’s a MILF squatter as well, but she only does half squats, and there are no other squatters besides us. The rest are bench-press-curl-crunchers, high school gym rats, fitness boxers, upper body lightbulbs, or aerobics ladies. They all look at me as if I’m crazy whenever I lift, but hey, I’m stronger than most of them, even if I’m not as big.

And I intend to keep it that way.

I go to school in England and the only other people who lift are the rowers and the rugby players. The rugby players create their own programs which are inevitably…bench press, curls, situps and more bench and curls.

The rowers I’ve seen train have good programs that are balanced but very high reps and they don’t care about getting strong. But they’re just doing whatever is good for their sport so power to them really.

And undeadlift really isn’t joking 150lbs at 5’8’’ is actually a decent amount bigger then the average person in the Phillipines and similar parts of the world (hong kong for instance).

[quote]ah_dut wrote:
And undeadlift really isn’t joking 150lbs at 5’8’’ is actually a decent amount bigger then the average person in the Phillipines and similar parts of the world (hong kong for instance).[/quote]

I think I’ll move to the Philippines too…

[quote]ah_dut wrote:
I go to school in England and the only other people who lift are the rowers and the rugby players. The rugby players create their own programs which are inevitably…bench press, curls, situps and more bench and curls.

The rowers I’ve seen train have good programs that are balanced but very high reps and they don’t care about getting strong. But they’re just doing whatever is good for their sport so power to them really.

And undeadlift really isn’t joking 150lbs at 5’8’’ is actually a decent amount bigger then the average person in the Phillipines and similar parts of the world (hong kong for instance).[/quote]

My God,I am hugeee!!!

[quote]Fabius Cunctator wrote:
ah_dut wrote:
And undeadlift really isn’t joking 150lbs at 5’8’’ is actually a decent amount bigger then the average person in the Phillipines and similar parts of the world (hong kong for instance).

I think I’ll move to the Philippines too… [/quote]

Yeah, you won’t regret it. We’re a very hospitable people. The only problem is that you don’t have access to suits, chains and bands here.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
HighVoltage wrote:
Damn, you’re filipino too?
And you take Spanish too?

Forget them, I tried writing about weightlifting for some of my essays (I’m in high school) and I put more effort into writing them than the other ones I do. They always seem to get somewhat decent grades (B), compared to my mainly everything else.

All else fails, I would just say “Putang ina”, to all of them.

It’s easy to write about what you’re passionate about.

OP- fuck your buddies. Do what you like to do. If you try to keep yourself in shape over the course of your life, then you will inevitably be a minority! Don’t worry about it.[/quote]

QFT. I just snapped a slump recently and all I needed to do was stop writing fuckin’ haikus about squirrels and daisies and put down some of my thoughts about lifting on paper. Good stuff.

We weightlifters are indeed a minority. People at my work think I’m huge. They routinely call me a “freak”. I’m anything but big. When you look at my profile pics, you’ll realize how ignorant my coworkers are of weightlifting. To think I’m a “freak” or I’m “huge” is nuts.

[quote]BALBO wrote:
Is that kebab in your avatar?[/quote]

Ahahaha!

[quote]Chewie wrote:
BALBO wrote:
Is that kebab in your avatar?

Ahahaha!
[/quote]

When I hear word Texas I think about chainsaw and I dont know why.

[quote]BALBO wrote:
Chewie wrote:
BALBO wrote:

Ahahaha!

When I hear word Texas I think about chainsaw and I dont know why.[/quote]

:slight_smile:

[quote]Fabius Cunctator wrote:
ah_dut wrote:

[/quote]

I think Philipine girls are very interesting.

[quote]BALBO wrote:
Fabius Cunctator wrote:
ah_dut wrote:

I think Philipine girls are very interesting.[/quote]

Yes, they are. Yes, they are.

[quote]Chewie wrote:
BALBO wrote:
Chewie wrote:
BALBO wrote:

Ahahaha!

When I hear word Texas I think about chainsaw and I dont know why.

:)[/quote]

How about massacre?