T Nation

Weightlifters are Minority

Today in Spanish class, we were asked, “Que te gusta?” which means “What do you like.” Everybody in class said either football or basketball. After a few minutes, I was asked, and I said, “Me gusta weightlifting.” Everybody laughed at me. They probably don’t know anything about weightlifting.

I don’t blame them. Weightlifting is more like a cult here in the Philippines. Anybody spending serious time holding a barbell is considered a “freak” which I am not. I don’t know anyone personally who has as much passion as weightlifting as I do. The only other Filipino I know who loves weights more than I is USCTrojan.

Do you have stories about how your weightlifting background gave you a feeling that you are part of a very small minority?

There is lesson in Spanish for you.

Quanto costa,guapa?

Che pasa cavrone?

yo Croato bruto!

^^^^That would be a hell of a lot funnier if I knew Spanish. Care to translate?

“How much does it cost, cutie?”

“What’s the deal, asshole?”

“I"m a brute Croat!”

[quote]BALBO wrote:
There is lesson in Spanish for you.

Quanto costa,guapa?

Che pasa cavrone?

yo Croato bruto![/quote]

That’s a strange mix of Italian and Spanish.

Looks like this thread backfired. Lol.

How have you made over 1300 posts since June last year? Go to the gym, man!

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Looks like this thread backfired. Lol.[/quote]
Haha. FWIW none of my acquaintances care much about my training. They find the amount of food I eat either terrifying or comical, though.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
How have you made over 1300 posts since June last year? Go to the gym, man![/quote]

I do somewhat religiously. I have a training log here. It’s easy to have that many posts if you ask many questions and make 1-liner comments.

[quote]DSmolken wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Looks like this thread backfired. Lol.

Haha. FWIW none of my acquaintances care much about my training. They find the amount of food I eat either terrifying or comical, though.[/quote]

Mine too, but whenever they hear about it, they laugh and tease me every single time.

[quote]SlammaJamma wrote:
BALBO wrote:
There is lesson in Spanish for you.

Quanto costa,guapa?

Che pasa cavrone?

yo Croato bruto!

That’s a strange mix of Italian and Spanish.[/quote]

I used to wander through Northern Italy and Catalunya.I also learned a bit of Russian and Morrocco Arabic on the way.

Damn, you’re filipino too?
And you take Spanish too?

Forget them, I tried writing about weightlifting for some of my essays (I’m in high school) and I put more effort into writing them than the other ones I do. They always seem to get somewhat decent grades (B), compared to my mainly everything else.

All else fails, I would just say “Putang ina”, to all of them.

[quote]HighVoltage wrote:
Damn, you’re filipino too?
And you take Spanish too?

Forget them, I tried writing about weightlifting for some of my essays (I’m in high school) and I put more effort into writing them than the other ones I do. They always seem to get somewhat decent grades (B), compared to my mainly everything else.

All else fails, I would just say “Putang ina”, to all of them.[/quote]

It’s easy to write about what you’re passionate about.

OP- fuck your buddies. Do what you like to do. If you try to keep yourself in shape over the course of your life, then you will inevitably be a minority! Don’t worry about it.

You should try to inform them more about weightlifting and why its fun for you. I always try to get some of my friends to try weightlifting I’ve gotten several of them into it.

f they laugh at you when you say you like lifting weights, chances are you are small and weak and its ironic.

Its probably not because they think your a freak.

But hey, what do I know.

[quote]Uber N3wb wrote:
f they laugh at you when you say you like lifting weights, chances are you are small and weak and its ironic.

Its probably not because they think your a freak.

But hey, what do I know.[/quote]

Is that kebab in your avatar?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

It’s easy to write about what you’re passionate about.

OP- fuck your buddies. Do what you like to do. If you try to keep yourself in shape over the course of your life, then you will inevitably be a minority! Don’t worry about it.[/quote]

Yeah, but I just keep wondering why my other essays keep doing better than my ones on weightlifting. It’s not like my English teacher is in bad shape too, she’s pretty fit but she just has a haphazard way of looking at weightlifting.

Also, now that I’ve thought about it more, there really isn’t a weightlifting minority in my school, well a smart one. I go to a geek school, ranked 19# in US, and it even shows in the weight room. We discuss weightlifting/nutrition during classes, PWO, and hit the iron hard (as hard as a teenager can).

Of course weightlifting is a minority OP. Most forms of committed exercise regimes are. I had a 20 year old college student tell me the other day the bulging muscles are “grotesque and ridiculous”.

[quote]HighVoltage wrote:
Damn, you’re filipino too?
And you take Spanish too?

Forget them, I tried writing about weightlifting for some of my essays (I’m in high school) and I put more effort into writing them than the other ones I do. They always seem to get somewhat decent grades (B), compared to my mainly everything else.

All else fails, I would just say “Putang ina”, to all of them.[/quote]

Yeah, putang ina nila (for those of you who don’t know, “putang ina” is a curse word that literally means “whore mother” but essentially gives the same feeling as “fuck”).

You’re in the US right?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
OP- fuck your buddies. Do what you like to do. If you try to keep yourself in shape over the course of your life, then you will inevitably be a minority! Don’t worry about it.[/quote]

They’re not my buddies. They’re just my classmates in Spanish. And no, they’re not affecting my thoughts in weightlifting. I will continue to do so even if I’m the last man on earth until I find a cure…

… wait, that’s Robert Neville.