T Nation

Was this a Racist Comment??

County GOP official removed for remarks

By KATHLEEN HENNESSEY, Associated Press Writer

Saturday, September 27, 2008
Print E-mail
deliciousdel.icio.us
diggDigg
technoratiTechnorati
redditReddit
facebookFacebook slashdotSlashdot
farkFark
newsvineNewsvine
googleGoogle Bookmarks
Share Comments (44)
Georgia (default)
Verdana
Times New Roman
Arial
Font | Size:

(09-27) 20:34 PDT LAS VEGAS, (AP) –

The spokeswoman for the Republican Party in Nevada’s most populous county was removed from her post Saturday, after she said the Democratic Party made black people “dependent on the government.”
More News

* Sea turtles are back, noshing on jellyfish 09.28.08
* $700B rescue plan finalized; House to vote Monday 09.28.08
* 52 Somalis killed after drifting 18 days in boat 09.28.08
* Gebrselassie breaks marathon world record 09.28.08

Didi Lima, the Clark County GOP communications director, also was removed from her volunteer role as a Hispanic community liaison for Republican John McCain’s presidential campaign over the remarks made earlier in the day while working at a McCain campaign booth.

“We don’t want (Hispanics) to become the new African-American community,” Lima told The Associated Press. “And that’s what the Democratic Party is going to do to them, create more programs and give them handouts, food stamps and checks for this and checks for that. We don’t want that.”

“I’m very much afraid that the Democratic Party is going to do the same thing that they did with the African-American culture and make them all dependent on the government and we don’t want that,” she said.

In August, Lima was named co-chair of McCain’s Nevada Hispanic Leadership Team, which aimed to reach out to a crucial voting bloc in a state where polls show McCain in a dead heat with Barack Obama.

“Didi Lima is no longer a part of this campaign, her comments don’t reflect Senator McCain’s beliefs and are not tolerated on his campaign,” McCain spokesman Rick Gorka said after learning about her remarks.

Lima is the second Republican Party official to land in hot water this week over comments perceived as inflaming tensions between blacks and Hispanics.

The chairman of the Republican Party in New Mexico’s most populous county resigned Thursday, nearly a week after saying “Hispanics consider themselves above blacks” and won’t vote for Obama.

Fernando C de Baca had been urged to resign for days by members of his own party.

Clark County Republican Party Chairman Bernie Zadrowski said he was “appalled” by Lima’s remarks. Lima was appointed party spokeswoman in late July.

“She was speaking for herself, not the Clark County Republican Party,” Zadrowski said. “And she won’t be speaking for the Clark County Republican Party anymore.”

Obama campaign spokeswoman Kirsten Searer said the remarks were “proof of how out of touch John McCain and Republicans are with the issues facing all Americans today.”

I didnt take offense to it at all, I think she just told the truth and alot of people couldn’t handle it.

No.

They were dumbbass, stupid comments, that anyone who leads a Political Entity should know they should not make publicly.

(Save it for Internet Forums!)

Mufasa

Doesn’t matter if it’s the truth or not, you just can’t say that if you’re white. She is white, isn’t she?

There are much better ways of conveying damage the libs have caused POOR people. There are just as many, I believe more, white families with generations of dependancy. It may effect a larger percentage of the black community but it is not even close to being an exclusively black issue.

She may not be a racist but to me that was a stupid statement. And I am about as far from PC as one can get.

Racist? Possibly.
Stupid? Very.

Suggesting all black people are dependent on welfare is pretty offensive. No mention of other ethnicities that make use of it. I atually see the point that she was making but she did a horrible job of it. I agree with DHickey she could have made her point and said it in a much less inflammatory way.

She should have just said that there are no black people in America. Or crackheads. Or crime. In that order.

That would have made her a genius like P-Diddy instead of a stupid racist.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
She should have just said that there are no black people in America. Or crackheads. Or crime. In that order.

That would have made her a genius like P-Diddy instead of a stupid racist.[/quote]

Or she could have pulled a Kanye, and just said that Joe Biden hates blacks.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
Doesn’t matter if it’s the truth or not, you just can’t say that if you’re white. She is white, isn’t she?

There are much better ways of conveying damage the libs have caused POOR people. There are just as many, I believe more, white families with generations of dependancy. It may effect a larger percentage of the black community but it is not even close to being an exclusively black issue.

She may not be a racist but to me that was a stupid statement. And I am about as far from PC as one can get.[/quote]

No, she is hispanic. I have a different view on this I guess. I think liberalism has really messed up the black community and I really wish more people would be more vocal about it IMHO.

[quote]GCF wrote:
Racist? Possibly.
Stupid? Very.

Suggesting all black people are dependent on welfare is pretty offensive. No mention of other ethnicities that make use of it. I atually see the point that she was making but she did a horrible job of it. I agree with DHickey she could have made her point and said it in a much less inflammatory way. [/quote]

This her comment didn’t bother me much because on a per capita basis black people are more dependent on welfare.

[quote]jawara wrote:
GCF wrote:
Racist? Possibly.
Stupid? Very.

Suggesting all black people are dependent on welfare is pretty offensive. No mention of other ethnicities that make use of it. I atually see the point that she was making but she did a horrible job of it. I agree with DHickey she could have made her point and said it in a much less inflammatory way.

This her comment didn’t bother me much because on a per capita basis black people are more dependent on welfare.[/quote]

Fair enough. And had she said that they are over represented as you say I wouldn’t have a problem with it either. But she didn’t, she used the old fear mongering, creating an ‘other’ technique:

“I’m very much afraid that the Democratic Party is going to do the same thing that they did with the African-American culture and make them all dependent on the government and we don’t want that,”

Really are ALL African-Americans dependent on the Govt? No. Some are. Just like some white americans are.

I’m just saying how I see it. It really isn’t a big deal to me. I just think it was a poorly worded and stupid thing to say.

[quote]jawara wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Doesn’t matter if it’s the truth or not, you just can’t say that if you’re white. She is white, isn’t she?

There are much better ways of conveying damage the libs have caused POOR people. There are just as many, I believe more, white families with generations of dependancy. It may effect a larger percentage of the black community but it is not even close to being an exclusively black issue.

She may not be a racist but to me that was a stupid statement. And I am about as far from PC as one can get.

No, she is hispanic. I have a different view on this I guess. I think liberalism has really messed up the black community and I really wish more people would be more vocal about it IMHO. [/quote]

It is a statistical reality that blacks represent a much higher % of social program consumption than their % of the population and as a % of that demographic.

This is not because they are black. It is because they are human. A very large % of human beings will take something for nothing when offered it without the wisdom or foresight to understand what it will do to them over time.

When the personal motivation and moral responsibility that this country was built on are removed from someone’s life in the form and name of socialist compassion the very disaster that we are now witnessing among blacks is the inevitable result.

If we were to wave a wand and reverse everybody’s ethnicity with white’s becoming blacks and vice versa the situation would be identical with a dependent white underclass and a predominantly black financial power structure. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the inherent and fatal flaws of socialism.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
jawara wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Doesn’t matter if it’s the truth or not, you just can’t say that if you’re white. She is white, isn’t she?

There are much better ways of conveying damage the libs have caused POOR people. There are just as many, I believe more, white families with generations of dependancy. It may effect a larger percentage of the black community but it is not even close to being an exclusively black issue.

She may not be a racist but to me that was a stupid statement. And I am about as far from PC as one can get.

No, she is hispanic. I have a different view on this I guess. I think liberalism has really messed up the black community and I really wish more people would be more vocal about it IMHO.

It is a statistical reality that blacks represent a much higher % of social program consumption than their % of the population and as a % of that demographic.

This is not because they are black. It is because they are human. A very large % of human beings will take something for nothing when offered it without the wisdom or foresight to understand what it will do to them over time.

When the personal motivation and moral responsibility that this country was built on are removed from someone’s life in the form and name of socialist compassion the very disaster that we are now witnessing among blacks is the inevitable result.

If we were to wave a wand and reverse everybody’s ethnicity with white’s becoming blacks and vice versa the situation would be identical with a dependent white underclass and a predominantly black financial power structure. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the inherent and fatal flaws of socialism.[/quote]

Just like I said earlier, liberalism has destroyed the black community and it makes me sick.

[quote]jawara wrote:
<<< Just like I said earlier, liberalism has destroyed the black community and it makes me sick.[/quote]

I’ll tell ya what makes me even sicker and I’m sure you as well is guys like Obama who make it their life’s mission to see to that even more socialism is inflicted on people they call their own.

However be not deceived my friend and again I’m sure you’re not. Liberal politicians and professional ethnics have no interest in seeing this dependency end. They need people to need them or their power falls to the ground. I beat my head on my desk watching them interview black voters on TV.

It’s enough to make you cry watching a proud race that withstood generations of unspeakable hardship and injustice brought to it’s knees voluntarily at the hands of their most excellent compassionate government benefactors. It’s practically slavery v.2.0.

If they only realized that blond n blue white conservatives like myself have 1000 times more respect and hope for them than Barack Obama or that they have themselves.