Upper Back Weaker Before Presses

I did some superheavy pendlay rows (for the first time in my life) before my pressing movement. (Flat DB presses). The weight that I usually use for a very easy double went straight down the fucking floor. I thought it was because I have swine flu (and I probably do) but i realized that I usually don’t do any direct upper back work BEFORE my pressing exercises.

Is this normal?

Plus, I have also noticed that my upper back struggles ALOT everytime I set up for my Max Effort DB presses. I have to bend over and pick them up, and then slightly pull the so that they can rest on my lap. This was noticeably MUCH more difficult after doing Max Effort pendlay rows.

Thanks.

How did that happen, are you not an olympic lifter? Fuck man if I had an olympic lifter there, he would’ve done the rows, done some deads and maxed out the dumbbells while doing backflip snatchs on a bosu ball.

Well lets think. Shoulder stability can have an affect on pressing strength. Your upper back and lats were tired from the rows, thus your shoulder stability went down, and your pressing strength went down.

Doesn’t that make sense?

Its like doing back extensions before squatting.

Upper back work and lat work will lower what you can press; the harder they’re worked, the less you’ll press. It’ll affect overhead pressing too. If you plan on pressing immediately after back work, lower your expectations so you get your reps and don’t get hurt.

[quote]nik133 wrote:
How did that happen, are you not an olympic lifter? Fuck man if I had an olympic lifter there, he would’ve done the rows, done some deads and maxed out the dumbbells while doing backflip snatchs on a bosu ball.[/quote]

LMAO

No, I’m not an olympic weightlifter. I’m a “jobber”.

[quote]nik133 wrote:
How did that happen, are you not an olympic lifter? Fuck man if I had an olympic lifter there, he would’ve done the rows, done some deads and maxed out the dumbbells while doing backflip snatchs on a bosu ball.[/quote]

This is fucking fantastic, I was going to make a similar comment, but decided it wasn’t witty enough.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
nik133 wrote:
How did that happen, are you not an olympic lifter? Fuck man if I had an olympic lifter there, he would’ve done the rows, done some deads and maxed out the dumbbells while doing backflip snatchs on a bosu ball.

LMAO

No, I’m not an olympic weightlifter. I’m a “jobber”.[/quote]

Your not a “jobber” your a tool.

TYPE2B,

Basically since you know the two will affect eachother you have to train based on priority. If your pulling is more of a priority, then do it first, if the pressing is more important, do it first. If they are both a priority think about switching the order each time, or doing them on seperate days.

Also, if you are going to do pressing first, its a good idea to do your warm-ups for pulling, then do all of your pressing and then come back to the pulling.

[quote]dankid wrote:
TYPE2B,

Basically since you know the two will affect eachother you have to train based on priority. If your pulling is more of a priority, then do it first, if the pressing is more important, do it first. If they are both a priority think about switching the order each time, or doing them on seperate days.

Also, if you are going to do pressing first, its a good idea to do your warm-ups for pulling, then do all of your pressing and then come back to the pulling.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion.

What’s a “tool”?

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
dankid wrote:
TYPE2B,

Also, if you are going to do pressing first, its a good idea to do your warm-ups for pulling, then do all of your pressing and then come back to the pulling.

Thanks for the suggestion.

What’s a “tool”?[/quote]

Tool

A person, typically male, who says or does things that cause you to give them a ‘what-are-you-even-doing-here’ look. The ‘what-are-you-even-doing-here’ look is classified by a glare in the tool’s direction and is usually accompanied by muttering of how big of a tool they are. The tool is usually someone who is unwelcome. The tool is alwasys making comments that are out-of-place, out-of-line or just plain stupid. The tool is always trying too hard to fit in, and because of this, never will.

What are “superheavy” pendlay rows? The more I tried with pendlay rows is about 135, otherwise I bent-over row 225 at ~45°.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
I did some superheavy pendlay rows (for the first time in my life) before my pressing movement. (Flat DB presses). The weight that I usually use for a very easy double went straight down the fucking floor. I thought it was because I have swine flu (and I probably do) but i realized that I usually don’t do any direct upper back work BEFORE my pressing exercises.

Is this normal?

Plus, I have also noticed that my upper back struggles ALOT everytime I set up for my Max Effort DB presses. I have to bend over and pick them up, and then slightly pull the so that they can rest on my lap. This was noticeably MUCH more difficult after doing Max Effort pendlay rows.

Thanks.[/quote]

You shouldn’t be training singles and doubles with dumbbells in the first place… Use them for sets of 6-10 reps. You can’t really set your lats on DB presses like you do on the flat bench since you must kick them into place.

Usually, anytime you blow your load on something heavy, you’ll be weaker for the next movement in the session.

The funny thing is, most people on this site are tools, trying to impress other members.

“someone who is a complete idiot/ one who is used by other people, and usually dosen’t even realize it/ someone who can’t think for themselves/ an asshat.”

“someone who tries too hard. a poser. one of those chic’s who holds the sign saying “Carson Daly is Hot.” the asstard who goes to a rock show because they heard one of the songs on the radio or mtv. or someone who insists on wearing velour sweat suits. Avril Lavigne.”

Tommy - your avatar makes me think you are a tool as well.

[quote]dankid wrote:
The funny thing is, most people on this site are tools, trying to impress other members.

“someone who is a complete idiot/ one who is used by other people, and usually dosen’t even realize it/ someone who can’t think for themselves/ an asshat.”

“someone who tries too hard. a poser. one of those chic’s who holds the sign saying “Carson Daly is Hot.” the asstard who goes to a rock show because they heard one of the songs on the radio or mtv. or someone who insists on wearing velour sweat suits. Avril Lavigne.”

Tommy - your avatar makes me think you are a tool as well.[/quote]

Why might that be?

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Usually, anytime you blow your load on something heavy, you’ll be weaker for the next movement in the session. [/quote]

You could be on to something there…

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Pinto wrote:
Usually, anytime you blow your load on something heavy, you’ll be weaker for the next movement in the session.

You could be on to something there…[/quote]

Not if you take Extenze!

Guys!! Listen up. Pay attention very carefully. Try to read Dankid’s posts…

Done?

Noticed how he actually refrained from attacking me? And even insulted one of my attackers (tommytoughnuts)?

THAT’S EXACTLY HOW YOU MANIPULATE PEOPLE!!!

LMAO!!

Anyway, back to the topic…

I really love the fact that when one of my muscles get weak, others get weaker as well. It’s a testament about the fact that the body is one piece.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:

I really love the fact that when one of my muscles get weak, others get weaker as well. [/quote]

what are you doing on T-Nation??

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
nik133 wrote:

LMAO

No, I’m not an olympic weightlifter. I’m a “jobber”.[/quote]

Jobber!