Type 2 diabetes and lifting

Ok, I’m 51 diagnosed with non insulin dependent type 2 diabetes. I ignored it for a few years and my A1C is starting to creep up every year. I do NOT want to become insulin dependent. The first thing I’m doing is losing weight and cleaning up my diet, already started that, I know how to do that. However, here’s the thing, I’m on TRT, and after leaning out I want to put on a little muscle, being middle aged I have no illusions about getting jacked, just want more muscle. How do I eat an excess of calories to gain muscle without exacerbating the diabetes. I mean I could eat mounds of chicken, carbs, fats, and weight gainer and lift heavy, but I’m pretty sure that would lead to more insulin resistance. Is it just a matter of doing a very healthy clean bulk?

I imagine being 300cals surplus daily for a couple months is not going to exacerbate diabetes. This is really all you’d need to help aid muscle growth unless you’re VERY developed. Do yourself a favor and make sure your carb sources are not sugar based.

I think most who have exacerbated their diabetes ate a significant amount of sugars daily, and did so for years.

You may want to consider doing a 2-3 month bout of Keto to help you body adjust to lower insulin levels, but i wouldn’t recommend using this diet long term and i would definitely not recommend it during a bulk.