Twenty by 40 by 2020 - Journey Back to Where I Was 20 Years Ago

4/1

Church and brunch and 2 Mile walk home
Track session

1. Warmup - jog, skips, etc
  2. Shot put between leg forward throws by 6 (where you jump forward and throw as far as you can - forward with both hands). 16# Shot. Out to about 44’
  3. Shot put overhead backward with same thing except jump backward and throw behind your head. 4 throws out to about 48’
  4. Shot Put standing throws x8 out to about 37’ with most around 35’ and spinning throws out to maybe 39’ but not controlling them
  5. Discus throws - standing x7 between 95-105’ - spinning x5 all over the place all bad. One at 115’
  6. Acceleration - 14meters x 10 sprints
  7. Tempo - 140m x6 runs at about 23” per run w 1’30” rest

So it is all still rusty - shot between legs and overhead backward are good tests of overall power and you should be able to throw a full throw about as far as your between legs forward. Those numbers aren’t awful. Not great.

Discus - was a terrible headwind which shouldn’t hurt that much if your release is on point. Mine is not. So those were okay and more consistent than last time.

Acceleration felt pretty good. Amazing how all out short sprints hit pretty much every muscle in your body. I’m definitely as explosive or covering as much distance as I’d like per step. This is mostly due to increased body weight and body fat. As I stick to doing more of this work, I’ll make improvements.

Tempo - These felt all right, but really shouldn’t do fast sprinting and intervals on the same day - increases likelihood of an injury - but I am slow enough right now, it is not a huge deal - and I hadn’t gotten enough sessions in this week, so doubled up on this one. The 140’s in 23 seconds is actually not bad - and if I’m doing 10+ 200s in that pace in a couple months, I will be getting back into pretty good shape. Running is something where form really does follow function. As I get faster, I will get leaner.

All in all a good day, especially considering a pretty heavy meal not too long before the session.

1 Like

4/2

1. Banded mobility warmups plus light KB stuff (halos, goblet squats, rows)
  2. Squat - warm up to 8x3 at 295
    3A - Light KB press 4x2 at 53 and 35 (bad shoulder)
    3B - ring rows - body weight 4x8

Metcon
7 Mins AMRAP
7 deadlifts at 185
7 eccentric pushups
7 cleans at 185

I did 3 rounds. Took it pretty easy and worked on OL cues on both deads and cleans. Still a solid little workout.

1 Like

4/3

The workout at my local crossfit gym today is actually one that I really would have liked to do - and fits into the design of my current training design. But after sprints on Sunday, Heavy Squats and high rep barbell work (with cleans at 70-75%) - doing a bunch more snatch and clean work would have smoked my hamstrings - which are already sore from last couple of days.

So a recovery “tempo” day today - treadmill running/walking at a varied pace, with 15x30" runs built in at a 12.0 MPH pace. This is a lot faster than 12.0 on a track. On a track, 12.0 mph is 20" per 100m, which is a running pace, but not hard running. On a treadmill, 12.0 feels very fast.

Followed that with some light weight circuits working arms, shoulders, easy on legs, and some carries.

1 Like

4/4

1. Dynamic and static mobility warm-up
  2. Snatch and clean technique work - 25x2 about 35 on snatch and 15 on clean. Didn’t work up to more than 75-80% on either lift (135 on snatch and 195 on clean). Working on positions, timing, etc.
  3. Multi Throw - 5x5 throws for height with a 25# medball, targeting 15’ ceiling.
  4. Wall Balls - 5x15 with 25# medball to 10’ target.

Snatches felt heavier than they should have. Cleans felt really easy - hitting good positions, and waiting on the second pull - so I’m hitting the bar higher up my legs.

The Medicine ball work is fun. I like the explosive throws the best, and is good supplemental work for shot put and discus. Then the wall balls are a great cardio stimulus - do 15 reps Every minute on the Minute for a bunch of rounds is a great workout for shoulders, triceps, and quads - and very low impact, and good cardio.

The classic crossfit workout for that is 150 reps for time with a 20# medicine ball. That is brutal. I think I did that in 4’51" a couple years ago.

I’ve never received any coaching on my cleans other than on pulls. We never talked about bar position either. The bar hits my legs about four to five inches above my knee cap. It feels like my hips are more flexed than the stuff I’ve seen and read.

I’m better at deads than squats. I enjoy pulls more than squats too. I think I’m built better for those. Is there any variability taught in the technique? I think I get more out of my body with more reliance on hip extension instead of using the quads.

I also deadlift and power clean the exact same way lol! I don’t have a “clean” deadlift. It’s uncomfortable starting more upright and the first thing that moves is my ass. I figure I might as well start where my body wants to be with higher hips. This again points towards being better at pulling than pushing with the quads.

What do you think? Should I be worried and try to rebuild?

I decided to rebuild from scratch since my numbers were already 20% down on my high point pre knee rupture and 10% (maybe only 8%) on my numbers a year ago before I dislocated my shoulder.

I am very similar to you - like and am better at pulling - am learning from a Russian trained coach and basically redoing everything. Good news is he says I’m strong enough to do well over my previous bests even right now. Just need to grease the right movement patterns.

Biggest changes are around hip and shoulder positions during lift and elbow and shoulder rotation switches. Am already seeing difference with a higher contact point - at pelvis on snatch and high thigh on clean. My catch still not corrected but already pulling high enough to hit 225 snatch and 300 Clean.

I would. Not like you’re competing in OLs and moving massive numbers - learn them right and they will build the right muscles and patterns so when you are stronger you will be able to move more weight more safely. That’s my $0.02

Late night at Justin Timberlake show last night with my wife - working from home and then business meetings and dinner all afternoon and evening.

So…

Random mobility and dumbbell workout in living room between calls. Didn’t keep track of anything - just doing probably 15-20 minutes of moving around.

I think if I worked from home regularly, I would love to set up a schedule where every 2-3 hours, I did 20-30 minutes of exercise. Could alternate high and low intensity days and get a ton of good volume in.

1 Like

4/6

1. Aerdyne (Assault bike - is there a difference?) warm-up for a few minutes
  2. Dynamic warm-up - skips, etc
  3. Plyos 5x5 up to box (landing knees all the way extended as much as possible) to 20" box - 24" box - 30" box (a little flex here). These were with no running start.
  4. Power Clean work: Sets of Pull to knee, 2x knee to hip, 1x muscle clean from 45 up through 175. Then sets of 3 hang power clean at 175, 185, 195. Then 4x3 at 205.

Explosiveness felt pretty good for AM workout - box jumps felt quick.

Was planning on doing 8 sets at 205, but on 3rd rep of 4th set, I got in funk position on pull and saved it on the catch - but back tweaked a little bit. I don’t think anything more than a tweak/strain - but better safe than sorry. Did some light stretching and moving around.

1 Like

4/7

OL technique session with a coach. Continuing to really drill technique and positions throughout the lifts. Worked on overhead positions and muscle snatches today. I always want to push the numbers - which is probably why I stalled out. The guy I’m working with had me do full versions of snatch and clean today at 150 and 225 respectively which are probably 85-90% for me right now. And he pointed out all the things I was doing wrong throughout the lifts and then we went back to 95# on the snatches and worked through the places I was getting out of position.

I’m going to get to 3 plates clean and 2 snatch this year as long as I stay healthy.

1 Like

After landing, do you jump back down or do you step down and reset?

[quote=“JMaier31, post:411, topic:228627”]
After landing, do you jump back down or do you step down and reset?
[/quote/]

Step down and reset. Wouldn’t do a drop/depth jump for quite awhile and until lighter body weight. These are standing jumps. Will progress as able.

So was looking back through logs and pics over past 18 months. I regressed big time about a year ago and never recovered. Combo of shoulder and seizures and travel between May and December.

Seizures under control. Shoulder not good but improving. Travel still sucks.

Looking at what I was doing and am doing and am less than a year ago. So maybe that’s the first goal is get back to last year condition by June and figure out how to not regress.

1 Like

Good man! I seriously dislike and don’t understand why people do multiple jumps as fast as possible. I jump and land with a purpose. The only time I even jump on to a box is a depth jump or multiple depth jumps. I’ll step off, land/absorb/transition and explode to the next one. But it’s controlled and done with a purpose, unlike box jumps for reps as fast as possible.

Once progression is in shape - depth jumps are one of the best builders of explosiveness. One thing I like to program for sprinters end of year is big depth jumps - and low box explosive step ups.

Big = 48” and higher - but need to be fit enough and lean enough.

1 Like

Do you see a point in the training where it becomes more about rapid hip flexion and less about actual jump height?

Not necessarily - see it more about speed of rebound and second jump height vs drop. Stiffness jumps are actually better - repeated jumps for height x 5-10

And think I misread this at first. So simply trying to get onto highest box possible - don’t generally see the point - although it can be good carryover for quick drop after hip extension on clean and snatch. I like stiffness jumps - repeated for training eccentric strength and muscle “stiffness” (not to be confused with tightness) - but increased muscle stiffness can really help reactive strength for explosive running or jumping.

I interpret stiffness jumps as one where you’d try to spend the least amount of time possible on the ground between jumps. Is that what you mean?

I do plyos two ways. One focuses on speed like I mentioned above. The other focuses on emphasizing the landing phase. Think of jump squats where you land and drop the hips just like squatting. They’re slower but it helps me focus on the landing and deceleration phase.

Believe it or not, I think those actually helped me in basketball. I could do a rapid squat and jump completely flat footed and get close to my max vertical which allowed me to surprise some people and dunk when it appeared I was stuck in the post.

Yes - that’s what I mean by stiffness jumps. I have only just started doing plyos again - but assuming I stay healthy (big assumption) - but I’ll typically progress them as follows:

1. No contacts - Just vertical onto a box
  2. Horizontal - two foot contact. Jump and land - singles.
  3. Horizontal multiple contacts - 3-5 standing jumps in a row.
  4. Vertical - stiffness or small depth jumps
  5. Horizontal single foot contacts, hops and bounds .
1 Like