Trying to Squat, F'ng Up My Knees

So over the past two weeks I’ve tried to transition from a powerlifting squat to a oylmpic style squat, but i’m having lots of trouble.

I can’t get the depth easily at all, I have to slowly inch my way down and as a result I have no ‘bounce’.

It’s also destroying my right knee, only 3 squat sessions in and now I can barely put any weight on it. It used to be a hip pain on the right side in the powerlifting stlye but now its turned into a knee pain that i cant ignore.

I squat in do-win shoes, I’ve modified the heel so they are 1.25 inches now.

I turn my knees out, I try and keep my toes pointing forward, as per info on mobility wod: 10 min squat # 3 | Feat. Kelly Starrett | Ep. 90 | MobilityWOD - YouTube

I also can’t hold that asian style squat for longer than 40 seconds, it makes my knees hurt like fuck.

Any advice? Any particular stretches I should do? My ankle mobility is very good so I’m thinking it’s a hip issue?

Stretch your hips, psoas, ankles, softball your quads, calves, glutes.

Why would you increase the heel height if you experience knee pain?

[quote]bcingu wrote:
Why would you increase the heel height if you experience knee pain?[/quote]

I didn’t experience it at first. I increased it because I couldn’t get deep enough.

I squat with my toes point slightly out and everything feels better. I used to try to keep my feet straight, but I found it uncomfortable.

Well I would definitely stick with the no-bounce technique. What’s the frequency/volume/intensity of your squatting and OL’s?

I squat 5x a week. I usually work up to about 80-85% of my 1RM and then do from 5-15 sets of 2-3 reps in that area depending on how I feel.

I could handle that workload no problems using a powerlifting technique.

Clarification on depth & heel height:

Without the heel increase on my shoes, I could get the depth, but I could not keep my upper body upright at all and my lower back rounded.

Vids would help.

Maybe spend some time working on the movement with the bar before loading. Getting it smoother and more comfortable.

What feels painful in an asian squat? Do you do your foam rolling??

[quote]alexus wrote:
Vids would help.

Maybe spend some time working on the movement with the bar before loading. Getting it smoother and more comfortable.

What feels painful in an asian squat? Do you do your foam rolling??[/quote]

I spent like an hour warming up yesterday, as soon I put my shoes on and squatted the pain just flared up like a bitch, and I did about 10 sets with just the bar, the days before I did the same.

Its the front of my knee that hurts in the asian squat. I don’t use foam rolling but I roll around like a creepy pervert on a lacrosse ball for about 20 minutes a day.

I don’t think I’m doing enough hip/psoas stretching.

I’ll go get a vid now…

Knees were starting to hurt once I pass parallel. I was finding it hard as fuck getting down there, I usually can get down a bit easier once I have weight on the bar.

There is something majorly wrong if you have to force yourself into a full squat. I wouldn’t even try full squatting before everything is carefully fixed.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
I squat 5x a week. I usually work up to about 80-85% of my 1RM and then do from 5-15 sets of 2-3 reps in that area depending on how I feel.

Without the heel increase on my shoes, I could get the depth, but I could not keep my upper body upright at all and my lower back rounded.
[/quote]

How long have you been doing that much volume? What did it look like when you worked up to it, i.e., how long did it take you to work up to it? Why 5x/week? Why 15 sets? Neither seem necessary, nor especially sensible for someone with knee pain.

[quote]Wrah wrote:
There is something majorly wrong if you have to force yourself into a full squat. I wouldn’t even try full squatting before everything is carefully fixed.[/quote]

x2
Something is not right, there. Are you able to get into a proper receiving position for the OL’s?

[quote]bcingu wrote:

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[/quote]

How long have you been doing that much volume? What did it look like when you worked up to it, i.e., how long did it take you to work up to it? Why 5x/week? Why 15 sets? Neither seem necessary, nor especially sensible for someone with knee pain.[/quote]

Knee pain has only occured due to shit form. I’m squatting 5x a week to improve form (I’m actually not going to squat or deadlift at all now until I’ve got my flexibility problems fixed).

I can comfortably manage this volume normally and done it before.

[quote]bcingu wrote:

[quote]Wrah wrote:
There is something majorly wrong if you have to force yourself into a full squat. I wouldn’t even try full squatting before everything is carefully fixed.[/quote]

x2
Something is not right, there. Are you able to get into a proper receiving position for the OL’s?[/quote]

Hence the thread…

And no, I haven’t attempted them at any weight higher than 60kg because I can’t even sit comfortably in a squat.

Once I can manage squatting properly I’ll give them a honest effort.

point your toes out. try a slightly wider stance. and work on hip mobility.

you have to go slow on the way down and your knees hurt because your forcing them into a position they don’t want to go.

I’d say go back to a wide squat and slowly move it in, while doing mobility work.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[quote]bcingu wrote:

[quote]Wrah wrote:

x2
Something is not right, there. Are you able to get into a proper receiving position for the OL’s?[/quote]

Hence the thread…

And no, I haven’t attempted them at any weight higher than 60kg because I can’t even sit comfortably in a squat.

[/quote]

Not trying to have a go, mate. I just think that your issue transcends poor form/ foot stance / bar position / squatting frequency, etc. You seem incapable of moving in a way that humans should be able to move. I could be wrong, but I fail to see how squatting like that 5x/week could possibly benefit you. If anything, it could ingrain faulty motor patterns and possibly lead to injury.

Basically what Wrah said.

[quote]bcingu wrote:

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[quote]bcingu wrote:

[quote]Wrah wrote:

x2

Hence the thread…

[/quote]

Not trying to have a go, mate. I just think that your issue transcends poor form/ foot stance / bar position / squatting frequency, etc. You seem incapable of moving in a way that humans should be able to move. I could be wrong, but I fail to see how squatting like that 5x/week could possibly benefit you. If anything, it could ingrain faulty motor patterns and possibly lead to injury.

Basically what Wrah said. [/quote]

I’ll listen to you both.

I’m not squatting until I get it fixed. I’ll just do bulgarian split squats/romanian deads to maintain leg size while I stretch it all out.

one of the best ways to fix poor form in the squat is to do box squats
get you 3 boxes made up one 2’’ above parallel, one at parallel and one 1’’
below parallel start with the high box and squat and sit until your
hips relax then drive off once you have mastered this box and can
comfortably do 95% of your 1 rep max move to the next shorter box
and do the same until you can comfortably sit on the lowest box

when squating do not try to modify foot placement into what is
naturally uncomfortable for you if it feels good it’s right
rarely will you find two lifters that have the same foot placement
and descent and ascent