TRT - A Provider's Input

Would have a bearing if you’re a hyper metabolizer of test.
If your shbg is low, less is being bound. Therefore unless you Metabolize it fast, more will follow the normal half life of the meds.
If you have high shbg more frequent is better for the opposite of the above reason, but I’ve not seen any subjective difference in patients with low or high shbg and dosing

@pmatt

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions, much appreciated.

In your practice, have you ever come across DHT related BPH/prostatitis?

My Urologist said I have prostatitis. Bacterial culture came back negative. Non sensitive E2 is 25.

Kinda wondering what’s going on and interested in your thoughts

What is your psa?

0.59, up from 0.3 two months ago.

I’m taking 38mg test cyp EOD

Not to be insensitive, but do you use your ass for anything other than what it’s intended for?

Haha… Negative. My Dr does limited testing, here is everything from most recent bloods:

TT - 584 range: 300 - 1000
HTC - 45%
Prolactin - 11 range: 2.0 - 21
Estradiol (non sensitive) - 25.6 range: 0 - 60.7
TSH - 3.53 range: 0.400 - 4.100

My last SHBG reading 6 months ago was 31

Free t calculated is 13. So could go up depending on how you feel.
That bump in PSA is negligible.
Any urinary symptoms?
And saw palmetto has some great prostate effects also

I’m having a hard time peeing, so he prescribed alfuzosin, which helps but has it’s own side effects.

To increase free T, increase dose? I feel better that before trt, but think there is room for improvement.

Also having some ED/libido/arousal issues recently too. Do you think an increase in free T could help with recent issues?

Yes it can. If you have sub par results at your current dose, not just lab values, see how you do with a bump. What’s your dose now and how frequent. Do you take AI and when

I swear I’ve read the complete opposite in these forums a million times. What a gift to have actual medical professionals set the record straight and help kill all the misapplied bro-science.

I’m injectioning 36mg EOD. No AI.

I’ve gone up to 40mg EOD for a couple of months last year, but had back acne, plus needed to go lower to prescribed dose of 120mg a week for bloods.

Felt great at 20mg EOD… But thought I had high E2 symptoms… But guess not. Maybe I’ll head back up there to see what happens.

Thanks again.

Once again, you can’t apply a cookie cutter to this any more than any other medicine.
For a long time, 200mg every 2 weeks was the unofficial standard. It’s another evolving area of medicine.

To split hairs over once or twice a week dosing is a waste of time.
Using a med with a seven day half life (roughly) and testing trough at seven days makes sense and is convenient. Twice weekly dosing makes a less up/down trend in blood level. And I’ve seen, in myself, a better response.
My shbg was average (25ish) as was the majority of what my patients had.
You have to understand also, they used to prescribe IM test BASED ON SYMPTOMS ALONE. No regard for E2, prolactin, etc.
We’ve come along way.
Now to just get dudes to stop saying “im gonna cycle off bro” when they decide to stop treatment…

No sweat. Keep me posted on how it goes

1 Like

what kind of provider are you?

So, what would you say is the safe limit for hemoglobin/HTC in your books?
Cheers!

my cardiologist says he gets concerned when hmg gets to 18

Goes by lots of names… Advanced practice provider. mid level practicioner. Nurse practitioner

Agreed. But concerned based on what? No studies I can point to. It’s an acquired polycythemia but other than viscosity, what’s the concern.

The Red Cross cut off is 20. Personally I feel better at 15-16. Don’t know why but I tend to feel better after I donate.

if you know about thyroid hormones…

from my research if i take a low dose desiccated thyroid (or any regular t3/t4) it will not suppress my own production. In order to suppress my own production i would need to take the amount equivalent to what i would produce.

correct?
Btw dr started me with 15g of NP thyroid. being am at most subclinical hypo, i believe this amount will only supplement my own production. now if i was hypothyroid i know this does would be small.

Thanks