TRT - A Provider's Input

I guess I’m at a loss as to why they started treatment? You have a lot of normal values if I’m reading it right? Was it to optimize?

Yes to optimize. I though with lowish free t4 and low end totals I had subclinical hypothyroidism. TSH mostly overv2.5.
And I had cold sensitivity. Cold hands mostly in afternoon. That resolved soon after I started levo.
Endo did not want to give but she gave because I asked.

You think I should leave alone and not treat?

Maybe I got the pain cause I was heading to hyper with 25 mcg?

Honestly, I’d it were me?
If take tyrosine and eat seaweed.
Try that way first

Ok I can try. If I wanted treatment is it good with low dose dissecated thyroid or will it create trouble?

And what does tyrosine do? And how much to take and when?
That’s my last question. Thanks.

It’s a common nootropic but it also mixes with iodine in the body to make t3 and t4.
Iodine from seaweed (don’t have to Harvest yourself, they sell dried at the store)

1 Like

First, I’d be hard pressed to put a 20 year old on TRT.
Second the issues you’re referring to, I saw very infrequently as a provider. Sure can be sited as side effects. Just saying I didn’t see it.
And are you suggesting age specific free t numbers? If that’s the case why not accept decreasing overall T levels as “age related” and just move on?
I had a handful of guys out of hundreds who needed donations.
Also if thyroid is monitored as a baseline and there is no issue, I’ve seen no change in a euthyroid situation from TRT.
Good points. Just outliers

Great vid. And I agree
Here’s my point… we’re in TRT. The object is to optimize levels so we fee l better.
The other side of this is we have to play nice with other medical providers, meaning family doctors. They shit their pants at high hemoglobin levels. It does change viscosity but that’s not a 1+1 = 2 scenario for blood clots.
As I always told my patient, you don’t want blood too thin or too thin. Maintaining a normal hemoglobin level through even use a phlebotomy is OK.
Honestly the majority of time of a patient came in with a high hemoglobin, I would have them re-test in a week after properly hydrating and it was normally well within nornal limits.

2 Likes

I’m a walking case study to that fact. I have yet to need an AI and have had a very smooth travel on TRT with just 100mg Test Cyp per week. Nothing else. I believe that my experience has been this smooth explicitly because I got off my ass did something about the excess fat, and made a full lifestyle change with regard to my diet. I can’t speak for everyone obviously, but for me, TRT gave my body the tools it needed to become better and balanced. It was my effort and willingness to use those tools and go to work that made the difference.

TRT is definitely not a magic pill. It’s a means to correct a deficiency. It takes a lot of work on our part to reap the full benefits.

Jack pot.
Work + T correction = results.
You can get some benefit from T alone for sure but suboptimal for most folks

1 Like

@pmatt

You mentioned SHBG. Mine is appx 19, which is on the lower side, so I inject 30 mg EOD. This gets my FT high, but also my e2, which was 49 high. TT around 750.

So I tried lowering my test amounts to get the e2 down. But really, with my SHBG levels, I would need to get TT down to the 500 range or lower to get e2 in check. My FT would still likely be high side of the range.

Wouldn’t that somewhat defeat the purpose of trt altogether? I guess I’m asking is it OK to have a low TT reading (400-500ng/ml) as long as FT is high? Will I still feel libido and kick in the gym?

I’m afraid to lower TT too much.

Yeah I get this. Although I was already putting in the work well before I started TRT with no rewards for my effort. It wasnt until I got on T that any changes took place. Now they come fast and furious and I couldnt be happier.

1 Like

@pmatt
This is great time to get your take on what you think about frequency of Injections in general.

How do you feel with a estrogen of 49?

Personally I’m getting ready to switch to subq. But IM twice a week Is ideal for cyp or enth.
In the office it was weekly or biweekly based on patient needs

I ask because there a couple of folks that are telling guys if their shbg is 17 for example to inject ED or EOD. Strictly by looking at shbg and to start new people on.

From my research I think that more than 2x a week is not necessary. If they want everyday they should really get gel or a testosterone with a shorter half life.

Shbg has no bearing on frequency. Only on free t.
Once a week is adequate
Twice a week is my preference

1 Like

I don’t feel bad. Just some anxiety and insomnia. No itchy nips etx.

BUT also no sex drive or arousal. I get great morning wood but just no arosal w gf. Never need to
Masturbate etx.

So
I am thinking e2 being where it is should come
Down a bit. Maybe I’ll feel libido if it’s lower.

So E2 is a squirrelly bitch. Some guys have no sides at an estrogen of 100. Some guys lose the effects of T at 20.
I’d lower it and see how you feel.
We can do labs all day and “Maximize” numbers but at the end of the day, If you aren’t benefiting then what are we doing.
I used to tell guys that I’d try to keep their E2 a little less than twice the free t where you feel best.
E2 is important and you need some. How much is individual

1 Like

Wow.

Thanks for the response Matt.

I am dosing a little arimidex to see if I feel different. So far a little more mental clarity since starting it.

Again thanks.

Would love for you to discuss this a bit. As previously mentioned we often hear that if you have low SHBG you should inject frequently, if high possibly one massive shot would do. Thinking back, I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say SHBG has no bearing.