Trouble Figuring Out Carb Intake

I’m 27 years old (in 3 weeks), 6 foot tall, and weigh 168 (no colon…please don’t judge).

I lift on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sat using the 5/3/1 bodybuilding training template. Then on every “off” day I’m playing basketball anywhere from an hour to two hours. Other than that, I shoot hoops every day (by myself) for 20-45 minutes as additional cardio. I also do core work and/or corrective exercises every day.

I’m curious as to the amount of carbs (per day) you think that type of effort deserves given my vitals. Wanting to see if I’m undervaluing my needs with what I’m currently doing, which is basically 200-250 carbs per day plus two cheat meals each week (which raises it to about 400-600 on those days). Using this method I’ll either shoot up to 174, or drop to 166. My body is…odd. But like I said, no colon. Really hard to knock down consistency without one (at least for me, anyway).

For the record…the only carbs I eat (excluding cheat meals) are oats, rice cakes, rice, sweet potatoes, bananas, and malto/dextrose powders or granola bars post weight training workouts.

You didn’t mention what your goals were. Are you trying to gain weight?

I’m trying to gradually add weight/strength over time while keeping fat in a state of maintenance (or even loss at times given the high activity).

What is you protein and fat intake look like?

For protein I always try to shoot for 250g per day range (lowest I’ll go is 215ish). Fat tends to be between 55-70 grams (and higher on the two cheat meal days).

So basically, on average…

Protein: 250
Carbs: 200-250
Fats: 55-70

• 2 cheat meals a week, with a spike in carbs and fat on those days

[quote]Master Amino wrote:
For protein I always try to shoot for 250g per day range (lowest I’ll go is 215ish). Fat tends to be between 55-70 grams (and higher on the two cheat meal days).

[/quote]

That sounds appropriate for your body weight.
Specifically what do you mean about the weight flucuation? After a re-feed your weight rises to 174 and then returns to 168-165; or it seems that inspite of the fact that your calorie intake is the same your bodyweight varies without explanation.

[quote]Master Amino wrote:

[/quote]

I really like it. If your weight starts to stall too long or even drop each week, add 50g carbs. If it drops again, add 50 more, etc. etc. until you find the “sweet spot.” And even then the body constantly changes, so it might only be your sweet spot for 4 weeks or so, then you have to add more later.

I’d typically be a little opposed to two cheats/week; however, you’re keeping fats pretty low so I think it will suit you. It will also help you keep your sanity and be able to manage this long term.

Well done.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

That sounds appropriate for your body weight.
Specifically what do you mean about the weight flucuation? After a re-feed your weight rises to 174 and then returns to 168-165; or it seems that inspite of the fact that your calorie intake is the same your bodyweight varies without explanation. [/quote]

After cheats I don’t usually gain anything. The rapid change in weight just sort of happens. This is probably just due to dropping a lot of water faster than normal because of having no colon. Just makes it harder for me to ideally judge progress at times.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

I really like it. If your weight starts to stall too long or even drop each week, add 50g carbs. If it drops again, add 50 more, etc. etc. until you find the “sweet spot.” And even then the body constantly changes, so it might only be your sweet spot for 4 weeks or so, then you have to add more later.

I’d typically be a little opposed to two cheats/week; however, you’re keeping fats pretty low so I think it will suit you. It will also help you keep your sanity and be able to manage this long term.

Well done. [/quote]

Thanks, and thanks for the feedback too.

In terms of the 2 cheats a week…yeah. I’ve been very back and forth on it. A good compromise would probably be to take away one of the cheats and simply make it a high carb day instead. Maybe like 400-500 grams or so and go from there.