T Nation

Training to Failure...


#1

...causes peripheral (muscular) fatigue not "CNS" fatigue.

You guys just had a 73 post thread about nothing.


#2

Todays lesson brought to you by the letter D, and the number 14.


#3

i thought i posted this in the bodybuilding forum but i guess not


#4

flatly all i do party


#5

[quote]belligerent wrote:
…causes peripheral (muscular) fatigue not “CNS” fatigue.

You guys just had a 73 post thread about nothing.[/quote]

Prove it.


#6

[quote]Fallen wrote:

flatly all i do party [/quote]

Pretty sure I wore that exact outfit more than a few times when I was a kid.


#7

[quote]Fallen wrote:

flatly all i do party [/quote]

HAAA!!!That just made my day. I’m gonna favorite that video. I’ve got a wedding to attend in June. I will be bringing these funky fresh moves with me.


#8

mstrkrft ftw


#9

I was wondering about that. All the CNS stuff I’ve seen around here talks about activity within the neuromuscular junctions, which are in the PNS not the CNS.


#10

Y’all can thank HolyMac for that gem…just dont get too close when he starts biting his lower lip


#11

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]belligerent wrote:
…causes peripheral (muscular) fatigue not “CNS” fatigue.

You guys just had a 73 post thread about nothing.[/quote]

Prove it.[/quote]

It should be the default inference because we know that, if forced to work hard and rely primarily on anaerobic metabolism, a muscle will fatigue rapidly and force production will drop off dramatially within a few seconds/minutes. We have no reason to assume that there is anything more to it than that. The burden of proof is on the “CNS” people.


#12

Why does special concern about “CNS fatigue” even register in people’s minds anyway? They’re willing to trash their muscles, bones, joints, cardiovascular system, etc. in the gym, but are paranoid about overworking their CNS?


#13

[quote]belligerent wrote:
Why does special concern about “CNS fatigue” even register in people’s minds anyway? They’re willing to trash their muscles, bones, joints, cardiovascular system, etc. in the gym, but are paranoid about overworking their CNS?

[/quote]
Because it makes them nervous.


#14

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]belligerent wrote:
Why does special concern about “CNS fatigue” even register in people’s minds anyway? They’re willing to trash their muscles, bones, joints, cardiovascular system, etc. in the gym, but are paranoid about overworking their CNS?

[/quote]
Because it makes them nervous.[/quote]

Lol, brilliant.

S


#15

It’s a strawman. Just another aspect of this business. Create a problem. Create, and sell (literally or not), solution to the problem.

Remember when a gym was nothing but barbells and dumbells and you just went in there and trained hard, recovered, and did it again trying to beat your previous performance?

Alan


#16

Link to thread?


#17

[quote]BantamRunner wrote:
It’s a strawman. Just another aspect of this business. Create a problem. Create, and sell (literally or not), solution to the problem.

Remember when a gym was nothing but barbells and dumbells and you just went in there and trained hard, recovered, and did it again trying to beat your previous performance?

Alan[/quote]

AMEN


#18

[quote]belligerent wrote:
…causes peripheral (muscular) fatigue not “CNS” fatigue.

You guys just had a 73 post thread about nothing.[/quote]

Yep…

While the neuromuscular junction IS part of the peripheral nervous system, the fact that the “signal” is partially inhibited at that point makes the central nervous system work harder to send a stronger impulse to the muscle, because the “regular” impulse is not strong enough.

It’s kinda like trying to send water through a tunnel at a certain rate. If the distal end of the tunnel is partially blocked you have to send more water at the start of the tunnel.

So while the “cause” of the fatigue might be peripheral, the CNS ends up being affected.


#19

This is a good thread. I would echo just about everything in it so far.


#20

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]belligerent wrote:
…causes peripheral (muscular) fatigue not “CNS” fatigue.

You guys just had a 73 post thread about nothing.[/quote]

Yep…

While the neuromuscular junction IS part of the peripheral nervous system, the fact that the “signal” is partially inhibited at that point makes the central nervous system work harder to send a stronger impulse to the muscle, because the “regular” impulse is not strong enough.

It’s kinda like trying to send water through a tunnel at a certain rate. If the distal end of the tunnel is partially blocked you have to send more water at the start of the tunnel.

So while the “cause” of the fatigue might be peripheral, the CNS ends up being affected.[/quote]

Unfortunately, we now have newbs afraid to “overwork their delicate CNS’s”. I think THAT is a larger problem than people falling out due to “CNS fatigue”.

It seems many actually believe they can not train to increase endurance or to “fortify their precious CNS”.

Bottom line, unless someone is training near the upper ranges of human ability or has some sort of chronic fatigue syndrome, I fail to see the relevance of even making this an issue.

Without specific context, people are lost enough as it is.