Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis

[quote]trivium wrote:
I also wanted to add a special thanks to everyone who has taken time to read, and comment in my log. You have made logging my workout something I look forward to doing.[/quote]
It’s all in waves, man :wink:

[quote]trivium wrote:
I also wanted to add a special thanks to everyone who has taken time to read, and comment in my log. You have made logging my workout something I look forward to doing.[/quote]
Ahahahaha you’re welcome and here’s a fail pic. Oh well I tried.

Squat
5xbodyweight
5xbodyweight
5x45
5x145
5x185
3x225
5x230
5x265
7x300 (Almost got 8, but spot helped a bit. I didn’t take any rest after this set.)
5x265 (No rest.)
10x230 (20 seconds rest.)
5x230 (20 seconds rest)

Leg Curl
100 lbs for sets of 5/5/5/5/5/5/5/5 (My partner and I took turns getting 5 at a time. We did it this way to try to cut time.)

Gym closed on us, so we didn’t get to do the leg press. I will do abs today, and then I will make the leg press up on deadlift day. This is just for this week though. I wasn’t expecting this lift to be as brutal as it was. I got 6 decent reps at 300 today. I felt like I was falling forward on a few of them toward the end though.

Feeling real discouraged right now. There is a ton of work to do, and I already feel behind with school. I honestly think that I may have been meant for a more simple life. Hopefully I get to lift tomorrow. I don’t feel like my diet has been optimal. It has been mostly 2 meals a day consisting of chicken or steak and very few carbs. I was so nervous last night that I didn’t have an appetite. l am trying to eat about a pound of meat a day. This is straight estimation.

Get on top of your obligations first. You’ll feel better afterwards.

Felt tired, weak, underfed. Got my lift in today though.

Bench Press
5x45
5x135
5x160
5x185
9x210 (I just wanted 10 today because I got 11 last month and I was tired. I failed at the top of 10. Just died without warning.)
5x185 (Went straight into this with very little rest.)
10x160 (Again, with very little rest.)

Dumbbell Bench Press
70 lb dumbbells for sets of 10/10/10/10 (Lots of rest here.)

Dumbbell Row
100 lb dumbbell for sets of 10/10/10/10
(Paid very, very close attention to form and tried to dominate each rep. These felt easy. Lots of rest.)
Then I did a set of 5 with a quick pause at the top to focus on controlling the weight.

I did my orientation at the prison today. I hope that I am able to continue lifting, even if my diet and rest are suboptimal. I figure I will make some type of progress, even if it is leaning up, or very very slow.

Bodyweight at gym: 204.4 (If I remember correctly.)

I have to wake up early for surgery tomorrow. I will log today’s workout asap. Hopefully I get my deadlift session in tomorrow. I am quite possibly the biggest guy in this little town. People stare at me, and I max out all the machines for reps in our little gym. I bet that tomorrow is going to be the first time this little gym (the only one for 3 whole towns) has ever seen a guy pull 400 lbs. I hope I can be well rested after the day’s work for it. Hopefully I can catch up on reading some logs tomorrow as well.

Yesterday’s Lift

Pendlay Row
3x12 @ 145

Machine Supported Row
3x10 @ 185

Tricep Pressdown
10 @ 14 on stack
Then I did a super set. I would get 10 reps with close grip bench press, then do a set of 10 @ 15 on the stack. I did this 3 times, and then did an extra set of close grip.

One Arm Pushdown
6 on stack for sets of 10/5/10/5

Felt like I had an asymmetrical pump, and I wasn’t sure what to do. I have to get creative because I am limited with equipment here. I may have left out a set or so. I cannot remember. My upper body isn’t sore at all today.

Today’s Lift

Deadlift
5x135
5x135
5x225
5x275
5x315
10x345 (Had to do a little breathing and rolling the weight to get these. Struggled with the last rep or so. No fails.)
1x365 (Went up easy.)
1x405
5x315
7x275

I did the rest of the workout as a super set.

Leg Press
4x10 w/ 4 plates per side

Good Morning
4x10 @ 115

I didn’t know where to start with the good mornings. I felt like the bar was moving too much. I did feel like I was getting a good stretch out of the movement though. I think that it was a good choice to super set the last two movements. I hope I am doing the template correctly. Lots of people were staring at me having 4 plates on the bar haha. I am a little guy where I come from, but I am one of the biggest here. I am not sure how I like it yet. One of the girls that worked at the gym talked to me for like 30 minutes after the gym closed haha. Tomorrow I will do shrugs and maybe some abdominal work. I need to work on form for all of my lifts.

I weighed in at 205.0 today. I am not eating well, and I am exhausted from waking up at 6 and being in surgery all day. It will be nice tomorrow to have an easy workout. The surgeons are slowly allowing me to do more. Today I got to scrub in and retract/hold instruments/clip stitches/etc. I actually like what I am doing right now, but it makes for some long days haha.

I’m going to shower and eat dinner. Good night everyone.

12 hour day in surgery today. My hamstrings and traps are sore today, nothing else though.

Yesterday’s Workout

Smith Machine Shrugs
2 plates per side for 10 w/ no pause
2 plates and a 25 per side for 10 w/ no pause
3 PPS for 8 w/ no pause (I think this is the first time I have ever failed a rep on shrugs haha.)
2 PPS for 10 w/ pause
2 plates and a 25 per side for 10 w/ pause (Had to re grip at 8.)

Traps are pretty sore today. Hamstrings are still sore. I am going to wait a day because I came home for the weekend, and I don’t think that I am going to be able to squeeze it in today with the long drive and all. It shouldn’t be a problem tomorrow. Plus I have a lot of work to catch up on, so this will give me the opportunity to make some of that up.

I am hoping that the small changes I made to my form on various things help me out this week. I want to have good workouts. I am really impressed by how sore I am on this template at times. I would have thought that the soreness would have been much worse on BBB, but it is almost the same.

Today’s Workout

Press
5x45
5x95
3x110
3x125
9x140 (New PR. All paused. Failed a quarter of the way up number 10.)
3x125
10x115
5x115

Dips
14/6/5

Pull Ups
8/5/5

Dips (again)
5 reps then a five second pause followed by 5 reps.
5 reps then a five second pause followed by 4 reps.
Then a set of 5

Pull Ups (again)
5/5/5/4/5 (Took my time here.)

Bodyweight of 206.4. The scale at this gym is the same model as I had access to at college. I didn’t really eat too well today or sleep well last night. I was nodding off during part of the day, but never got to nap. I really wish my pull ups would go up. It may have to do with the fact that the bar I was using wasn’t anchored well and was rotating in my hands, or that I just set two other PR’s right before that lift. Time to go make dinner and log patients. Last week dips made me so sore. I am enjoying this template so far, even though my personality wont let me get out of the gym in any time period that could be considered short. Oh well.

Curl
40 lb dumbbells for sets of 10/7/3/7/3/5
45 lb dumbbells for a set of 3
20 lb dumbbells for sets of 10/10

Concentration Curl
20 lb dumbbells for a set of 10

Face Pull
5x10 @ 15 on stack

Rear Lateral Raise
20 lb dumbbells for sets of 15/15/15/15

Face Pull (again)
10 @ 15
10 @ 12
10 @ 10
10 @ 10

Rear Lateral Raise (again)
20 lb dumbbells for a set of 15

I really tried to keep good form today. Face pulls felt weak for some reason, but I have no basis for this as I have no idea how the settings on the stack convert to lbs. I never trust what they say on the machine either. My grip was going dead after curls, so that may have had something to do with it.

Squat
5xbodyweight
5x45
5x135
5x225
3x245
3x285
8x315 (No fail. See bottom for details.)
3x285
10x245
5x245
5x245

Leg Press
4 plates per side for sets of 10/10/10/5/5 (Really took my time here.)

The gym I have access to here doesn’t have a leg curl machine, so I will add that to one of my upcoming lifts. My squat set tied my all tie PR. I definitely fell forward on at least 3 of the reps. I took my time with the drop sets. I weighed in at 205 even. I didn’t eat all day. The surgeries got backed up, and I have been struggling to get to sleep at night because I have extra work to do around the house. I will definitely take this lift though.

The Docs gave me a reading day, so last night I came back and slept for 14 straight hours.

I’m gonna drive home, pound some food, and get ready to lift tomorrow. I am less sore today that I was last week. Hopefully I keep this little run of tying or beating PR’s. There’s a lot of uncertainty about my schooling at this moment, which makes be a bit nervous, but I am going to try to reach out to some of my classmates, and see what the consensus is and if I can get any advice.

I seem to be doing my best work on 5 and 3 week. The wheels seem to be coming off on 5/3/1 week because I am starting to handle weights that are heavier than I am used to. I can remember a time in the recent past, maybe 5 months ago, where squatting over 300 happened once a cycle, if at all. Now it is my top set every week. Maybe I just need to take it slow like I have been doing and slowly build.

Yesterday’s workout was severely rushed. Here it is.

Bench Press
5x45
5x135
3x185
3x200
8x225 (Tried for 9, but couldn’t lock it out. I don’t know why. I wanted a PR.)
3x200
10x185
5x185

Dumbbell Bench Press
75 lb dumbbells for sets of 7/7/7/7/7

Dumbbell Row
120x7
120x7
100x10
100x10
100x10

Today’s workout was also severely rushed. I had to superset the first 2 exercises.

Triceps Pressdown (With Straight bar attachment.)
170 lbs on stack for sets of 12/12/8/4/8/4
(The last 4 sets were really 2 sets of 12, but I was in a hurry so I paused to make sure I would get the reps and get out of there.)

Chest Supported Row
135 lbs for sets of 10/8/6
90 lbs for a set of 17 followed very shortly by a set of 3 to make a cool 20.

Lying Leg Curl
90 lbs on stack for sets of 10/10/5/5/5
(I had to make these up, so I decided to do them here, and take a bit of weight off and do 5 less total reps as I have a leg workout tomorrow and the gym tomorrow doesn’t have a lying leg curl machine.)

Tomorrow’s lift will consist of deadlift, goodmornings, shrugs, and pendlay rows. I didn’t want to do the pendlay rows and shrugs today, because they do actually work my lower back a bit, and I want to be fresh for tomorrow. The fact that I also had to make up my leg curls also played into this. I just wanted to play it safe. I would rather hit or tie a PR tomorrow, than get all beat up today for nothing on assistance.

I would like to lean up, but my heart wants to lift more weight. I don’t see how I can lose weight and make strength gains on that kind of diet. I have been told weight loss is the enemy of strength gains. Today, I weighed in at 199.4 on my scale at home after I woke up and was in boxers.

[quote]trivium wrote:
[/quote]
You may have needed to press it towards your face more

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
[/quote]
You may have needed to press it towards your face more[/quote]

The bar touches right at the tip of my xiphoid process on my sternum, about a bar’s length below my nipple line.