Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis

EDIT: The goal of this log has changed for various reasons (around page 24)! I am now after 1150 with good form, so I can’t necessarily call this my quest to 4/3/5 anymore for that reason. I figured the current name would be more appropriate.

I’ve been trying to post in my log for like 3 days now, and I cant do anything but edit a previous post. I don’t know why this keeps happening, but it happened with my first log, hence the second, and now the third. WTF?

Workout from 6/20/13

Press
5x45
5x95
5x100
5x110
11x125 (I had to clean the weight off the floor, and got a little distracted, so not all of these were paused perfectly. All were full ROM.)
5x125 (All nice and paused.)

Pull Up
9/6/6/5/4/4/5

Bench Press (Super set with the last 5 sets of pull ups.)
6x10 @ 135

Preacher Curl
60 lb ez par for sets of 10/10/10/5

Face Pull (These were rough haha)
140 lbs for sets of 10/10/5/10/5 then 100 lbs for 15 strict ones

Rear Lateral Raise (Super set with face pulls.)
20 lb dumbbells for sets of 10/10/5/10/5 then 15 lb dumbbells for 10

An hour and 15 minutes in the gym. Pre workout bodyweight of 208.4 lbs. I was absolutely beat by time I got to the face pulls because I had to rush this lift, I did biceps first for some reason, and I was exhausted from poor sleeping/eating and an exam. I am going to get a few things done around my apartment, and then hopefully go get a squat workout in. I drank a little last night at a friends birthday party, so I am going to try to slam a few more liters of water and grab some subway before I get to it. Finals week is next week, so my training is going to suffer. I have a test every day and a giant project due on Friday. My lowest test grade since the new year started has been an 88.5%. I think I can afford to relax a bit and bang it out. JULY IS GOING TO BE AWESOME. I have nothing to do but move into my new apartment, start my first rotation, and EAT haha. I think I am going to try to drop a few pounds though and keep my strength.

Squat
5 x bodyweight
5 x bodyweight
5x45
5x135
3x185
5x225
5x255
10x290
5x290

Deadlift (Double overhand grip)
225 lbs for 5x10 and then 1x5

Fell way forward on rep #4 of the big set today. I had to good morning the shit out of the middle portion of the rep. It is a good thing I squat low bar, because I don’t think I would have recovered from that otherwise. From there on out I focused on really sitting back into the reps, and I didn’t have any more problems with falling forward today. I love getting that little bounce out of the bottom of the rep. The 5x255 set felt real hard for some reason. It is weird because I feel like lighter weights are heavier than the weights I end up lifting later on in the workout.

Gym weight: 210.0 haha Awesome. I cant wait until July when I can clean up my diet and really get to work.

I am not even sore today. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I like being sore after my workouts.

I feel like shit for not being able to lift. I really feel like my squat was starting to move before this week. I really hope I can get a lift in sometime soon. Ive got 4 tests and a project left to do before I am done with my undergrad AND half of my grad student credits. July can’t come fast enough. If I don’t have to make up any ground from lost strength, I am going to devote my entire day to various strength goals.

Im gonna do 4 workouts a day. I am going to do the agile 8 to rehab some injuries I have, Boring But Big at noon to bring my powerlifting total up, low impact cardio at 6, and either skipping rope/strong man events/pull up death hour at night. I also plan on upping my caloric intake in that time, but going on a strict no junk food policy.

[quote]trivium wrote:
Im gonna do 4 workouts a day. I am going to do the agile 8 to rehab some injuries I have, Boring But Big at noon to bring my powerlifting total up, low impact cardio at 6, and either skipping rope/strong man events/pull up death hour at night. I also plan on upping my caloric intake in that time, but going on a strict no junk food policy.[/quote]
Hell yea

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
Im gonna do 4 workouts a day. I am going to do the agile 8 to rehab some injuries I have, Boring But Big at noon to bring my powerlifting total up, low impact cardio at 6, and either skipping rope/strong man events/pull up death hour at night. I also plan on upping my caloric intake in that time, but going on a strict no junk food policy.[/quote]
Hell yea[/quote]
hnghh

Just got done with my first semester as a grad student. I finish my undergrad on Monday. I am also half way done with my masters degree. I am going to celebrate by going to Sonic, and then try to pick up where I left off tomorrow. No sleep, no food for 36 hours.

Bench Press
5x45
5x135
5x165
5x185
12x205 (All beautifully paused. Didn’t fail either.)
5x205 (Extra set. All Paused. No fail.)

Kroc Row
110 lb dumbbells for 15/15/10/10

Press
5x10 @ 95

Chest Supported Row
135 x 8 (cheated like a mofo on the last 2. Kroc rows killed me today haha.)
115 x 8 (good reps.)
90 x 10 (Dominated these.)

Skull Crusher
3x10 @ 70

The chest supported row and the skull crushers were a super set. Little rest in between. I will do a few sets tomorrow just for kicks. Nothing serious. Felt good bench pressing today. I am hoping the rest of my lifts go like this one for a while. I feel good. I also just got my test scores back for the pretest for the boards. Average is around 110 out of 225 every year. I got a 161. I didn’t get to do traps today. They will be accessory work tomorrow.

[quote]trivium wrote:
Just got done with my first semester as a grad student. I finish my undergrad on Monday. I am also half way done with my masters degree.[/quote]
Is this a bachelors/masters co-op program?

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
Just got done with my first semester as a grad student. I finish my undergrad on Monday. I am also half way done with my masters degree.[/quote]
Is this a bachelors/masters co-op program?[/quote]

Yeah, I go to a 5 year PA school. It’s been the most brutal 4 years of my life haha.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

Next time I am about to slay some of my heaviest weights, I will have this pumping through my earphones.

Deadlift
5x135
5x225
5x255
5x290
11x335 (I tried for 12. Thought I had it, but unfortunately didn’t. See below for the rest.)
4x365 (Again, I thought I had one more in me, but I couldn’t finish it.)
0x335 (I had it ready to go, and just decided it wasn’t necessary. Didn’t even attempt it.)

Squat
5x10 @ 225 (All good reps. Took my time with these though. I was beat, and I got distracted after the third set.)
1x5 @ 225

Shrug
2x10 w/ 2 pps on the smith machine. Wish I could have done a few more sets, but they closed the gym.

The deadlift set may not count. I don’t know. I definitely felt like a couple toward the end were hitched, and I know that I had to stop to breathe for about 15 seconds before I could pull the last one. My hands never left the bar, but I still feel like I should have blasted 10 easy ones. The squats felt heavy today for some reason as well.

Bodyweight at the gym: 207.2

Today’s workout

Press
5x45
5x95
3x105
3x120
9x135 (Paused. See bottom)
8x135 (TNG)
6x135 (Cant remember if paused or TNG. All were full ROM.)

Chin up
9/7/5/5/5/5/5/5/5 (Some of these were a superset with bench, and the last was neutral grip before my first set of biceps.)

Bench Press
135 for sets of 10/10/10/10/20

Preacher curl
10/10/10

Face Pull
15/10/15 (Went for 15 on set # 2 but all the reps after 10 were garbage.)

Lateral raise
20 lb dumbbells for 15/10/15
10 lb dumbells for one set of 15

Press felt easy as hell for some reason…then I went for number 10 and couldn’t get it. I felt like I could do 12 at rep number 8. WTF! I am pretty upset about this, and that is why I did the extra sets. Also, I wanted more on my chins. I don’t know what the hell is wrong. I wanted a PR. On a lighter note, I am officially done with my undergrad, and my semester of grad school. Now I am just waiting to go on my rotations. I am going to try to make the best of this month.

Weight: 206.7

Moving home today. My grandma from out of town is going to visit, so I am probably going to end up taking today for personal reasons. Squat day tomorrow.

What do you study, Trivia?

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
What do you study, Trivia?[/quote]

I am a physician assistant major. I am done with the professional/didactic phase of my training, and now I am waiting to start my first rotation. It is general surgery, and starts on July 28th. =]

Squat
5xbodyweight
5x45
5x135
5x225
3x240
3x275
7x315
4x315

Deadlift
6x10 @ 225 (One side of the bar felt heavier than the other so I switched sides. I did 3 on one side and 3 on the other.)

Squats felt odd today. The light sets were hard to get depth, and the heavy stuff felt light at first. I may or may not do more later. I just ate a ton of hot dogs and burgers, so I want to let my stomach settle a bit. I really wanted to set a new PR today, but I got to meet a few new people, so I’ll take that. The one guy has to be the strongest guy in the gym. I hope I can start making some PR’s soon. Didn’t use any clips today. Felt good hearing those plates clang at the top of my sets haha.

Used a new scale today, and I lifted on an empty stomach. Bodyweight 203.5. =]

Bodyweight 204.5 today.

I was sore as hell yesterday, and I had a big cookout so I skipped some rope (30 minutes with 3 one minute breaks) and ate well. Today I have to move out of my apartment in Pittsburgh, so I have to drive 2 hours there to move out and then 2 hours home to move back home. Tomorrow will be bench day, and the following day will be deadlift day. I think I am going to do 2 days on and 2 days off. Im gonna eat well and try to go get the PVC pipe and a lacrosse ball so I can do the entire agile 8. Tomorrow’s schedule will be:

9am: agile 8
Noon: My 5/3/1 BBB routine.
6pm: walk in the park
9pm: agile 8

Also in the coming weeks I am going to start to adjust my diet toward more carb cycling. ( Carb Cycling for Fat Loss )

My off days will be this. ( Get Ripped. Get Walking. )

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
What do you study, Trivia?[/quote]

I am a physician assistant major. I am done with the professional/didactic phase of my training, and now I am waiting to start my first rotation. It is general surgery, and starts on July 28th. =][/quote]
sweet