Think Tank: Arms

Hi People

What do everybody think about doing a forum “Think Tank”? We have heard from the experts,so now id like to hear from the people.

Ill start

Discussion 1 ARMS

1.Does bodyweight affect the size that your arms can get to eg-overall body mass or can the arms grow syaying the same weight.

2.Is it nessessary to do more than 1-2 exercises for maximum hypertrophy of the arms.

3.do the arms need to be trained more than once a week or not at all for maximum hypertrophy.

4.Are heavy weights and low reps required for big arms eg-4-6 reps heavy heavy weight or 10-15 reps with minimal load?.

So cmon guys lets here from the forum experts.

Peace
HHH

[quote]HHH wrote:

1.Does bodyweight affect the size that your arms can get to eg-overall body mass or can the arms grow syaying the same weight.[/quote]

Yes. Body weight does affect overall arm size. I have yet to see even one person on this planet with 20" arms at only 150lbs. What I have seen in myself and others is somewhere around 10-20lbs of added body weight for every inch seen on your arms. This is why overall body development is more important than just curls if you want big biceps.

[quote]
2.Is it nessessary to do more than 1-2 exercises for maximum hypertrophy of the arms.[/quote]

In my case, yes. I do at least 3 and sometimes 4 different exercises for biceps. I think they benefit from being hit from different angles and need more than just one exercise or one particular movement to reach the most muscle fibers for the attempt.

[quote]
3.do the arms need to be trained more than once a week or not at all for maximum hypertrophy.[/quote]

I think they need to be trained directly on some terms of a regular basis for MAXIMUM development. That doesn’t mean they need to be trained EVERY week. I am not one of the ones who agrees with those who claim that you should avoid direct arm training. I think overall body movements will help overall by aiding your full body development thus allowing you to acheive better arm growth, but I don’t think they should be ignored (the exception being the rank beginner with little to natural development). I also think the number of times they are trained in a week is highly individual and depends on the recovery ability of the trainer. I recover fast. Even still, I mostly only train them once a week because of the amount of weight that I use. It takes them that long to recover.

[quote]
4.Are heavy weights and low reps required for big arms eg-4-6 reps heavy heavy weight or 10-15 reps with minimal load?.[/quote]

I am a little tired of hearing people break up rep ranges like this. Who has told you to only do 4 reps? First, without gradually going up in weight, unless you simply aren’t that strong and aren’t lifting much weight to begin with, jumping up to your highest weight for the first set or two will be a great way to injure yourself. Let’s say I plan on going up to 90lbs for dumbbell preacher curls. I will damn sure not start out with 90lbs. I will usually start out with a 45lb’er just to get blood flowing and to get the muscle ready for the exercise. I then gradually go up in weight over the course of maybe 4 sets until I hit 90 for the last one. Over all of these sets, my range goes from around 10 all of the way to 4-6 reps. While there is such a thing as high reps, I don’t believe that “10” falls into that category and I don’t think anyone should attempt to ONLY get 4 reps unless they have worked up to that point. Either way, the goal is to go heavy. If you can get 15+ reps with a weight, chances are it is way too light to produce maximal growth. I think people make this process way too complicated for no reason at all.

Good post prof x,

Im going to have to go ahead and bascially agree with everything prof said. Though im definately not an authority in arm development lol… one day.

Prof X

4-6 reps 10-15 reps were just ball park figures,switch to decaf man.I was just using those rep ranges as examples.
But thanks for replying :smiley:

HHH