THIB'S TIP: Explosive Pull Continuous Ramp

At what frequency are you performing this continuous ramp? I feel like it would be more draining than the high pull ramp alone so perhaps once a week?

At what frequency are you performing this continuous ramp? I feel like it would be more draining than the high pull ramp alone so perhaps once a week?

chinese pulls. is it something like this?
explode. as upward momentum fails, aggressively break at knees, slam heels to floor and push bar down?
and try to not let the bar crash your knees?

[quote]AESTimo wrote:
At what frequency are you performing this continuous ramp? I feel like it would be more draining than the high pull ramp alone so perhaps once a week?[/quote]

I’ve done it twice per week for two weeks and beat a PR in the high pull by 20kg at the end of the second week. I think that with explosive pulls, the HDL work is what can cause “overtraining”

Hi CT,

From a recovery stand point, would it be possible to perform the max ramp with other exercises? e.g. deadlift.

Possible something like below, except they would only be ramped to a max training weight given the cns system stress posed by the deadlift:

1. Deadlift from floor
  2. Deadlift from blocks below the knees
  3. Power shrug/ low pull from blocks, Mid thigh
  4. Perform clusters with one of the above.

Would this just be too draining on the nervous system.

Thanks

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
Hi CT,

From a recovery stand point, would it be possible to perform the max ramp with other exercises? e.g. deadlift.

Possible something like below, except they would only be ramped to a max training weight given the cns system stress posed by the deadlift:

1. Deadlift from floor
  2. Deadlift from blocks below the knees
  3. Power shrug/ low pull from blocks, Mid thigh
  4. Perform clusters with one of the above.

Would this just be too draining on the nervous system.

Thanks

[/quote]

The deadlift is the absolute worst movement to do a max ramp on… let alone several deadlift variations. First of all because it will fry the nervous system, second because the deadlift is nowehere near a properly done high pull (or Dead-Squat) when it comes to getting the results I want.

I thought that may be the case.

The reason i ask is, with my current strength levels i feel the layer system to be too advanced for me, however i would love to try the comination of high pulls, low pulls and chinese pulls as i have already had such great results with high pulls. At the moment i am using a 3 day push/pull/leg split but would like to try one of your older splits of push+high pull and legs+rowing repeated 3 times a week.

My question is

1. is there a way of incorporating the three together into this program? Would it still be effective to do one of each of each pressing day i.e day 1: high pull, day 2: low pull, day 3: chinese pull. Or is this non enough frequency to improve any individually?

Thanks again

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
I thought that may be the case.

The reason i ask is, with my current strength levels i feel the layer system to be too advanced for me, however i would love to try the comination of high pulls, low pulls and chinese pulls as i have already had such great results with high pulls. At the moment i am using a 3 day push/pull/leg split but would like to try one of your older splits of push+high pull and legs+rowing repeated 3 times a week.

My question is

1. is there a way of incorporating the three together into this program? Would it still be effective to do one of each of each pressing day i.e day 1: high pull, day 2: low pull, day 3: chinese pull. Or is this non enough frequency to improve any individually?

Thanks again[/quote]

The high pull should be done 2-3x a week… it is a complex movement that is all about timing, doing it once a week will not cut it.

Honestly, the two other pulls are best used one proper high pull technique has been learned

Lastly, just waiting on a bonus then i will be purchasing a dead- squat bar, AT LAST! Obviously i will want to utilise it to its full potential. On my leg+ row day i was thinking:

1. Dead squat from floor- 3x6, 3,2,1
  2. Dead squat from blocks- (knee height)- 3x6, 3,2,1
  3. Dead squat row- 3x8 (Powerfull contraction + 2 sec hold), 3x3 (max weight, no peak contraction pause)

Is this a good selection to maximise the dead squat bars effectivenss?

Is there anywhere i could incorporate dead squat launch into there to really hit that power look region, possibly do it from blocks inplace of 2.

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
Lastly, just waiting on a bonus then i will be purchasing a dead- squat bar, AT LAST! Obviously i will want to utilise it to its full potential. On my leg+ row day i was thinking:

1. Dead squat from floor- 3x6, 3,2,1
  2. Dead squat from blocks- (knee height)- 3x6, 3,2,1
  3. Dead squat row- 3x8 (Powerfull contraction + 2 sec hold), 3x3 (max weight, no peak contraction pause)

Is this a good selection to maximise the dead squat bars effectivenss?

Is there anywhere i could incorporate dead squat launch into there to really hit that power look region, possibly do it from blocks inplace of 2.

[/quote]

No it is not a good choice. The Dead-Squat launch should be used instead of regular Dead-Squats. You can also do the lauch from blocks, but not if you use the non-launch variations. The launch use less weight which still giving you max stimulation with at lwat 1/3 the nervous system drain.

Im with you, so could i use the launch method for both i.e 1.launch from floor, 2.launch from blocks, 3. Row? If not, could u suggest a selection of exercises to use the dead squat bar with that i could use on my leg + row day?

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
Im with you, so could i use the launch method for both i.e 1.launch from floor, 2.launch from blocks, 3. Row? If not, could u suggest a selection of exercises to use the dead squat bar with that i could use on my leg + row day?[/quote]

Yes, that is perfectly acceptable

I Cant thank you enough for the time you take to run this forum and offer advice. I truly believe you are one of a handful of innovative coaches who, along with Biotest, really are pushing the training and nutrition methodology envelope and it is evidently paying off 10 fold.

Thanks again

launch from blocks. atwhat. height please?
and
if i do launch from floor the hdl launch 1 from floor, reat from hang, would that be the same height?

[quote]domcib wrote:
and
if i do launch from floor the hdl launch 1 from floor, reat from hang, would that be the same height?[/quote]

The height, from blocks or hang is about mid-tigh.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
and
if i do launch from floor the hdl launch 1 from floor, reat from hang, would that be the same height?[/quote]

The height, from blocks or hang is about mid-tigh.[/quote]

cool. and that is where the launch point is on ds launch. so we are effectively focusing on the launch for explosiveness?

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
and

cool. and that is where the launch point is on ds launch. so we are effectively focusing on the launch for explosiveness?
[/quote]

Correct

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
and

[/quote]

Correct[/quote]

guess i’d better get a shot put, disc and jav out. looks like it might be a good time to get back into some competition. i think they have masters55 plus.

Thib can we follow the explosive pull ramp with lats or leg work?

[quote]Sawinwright wrote:
Thib can we follow the explosive pull ramp with lats or leg work?[/quote]

No more than 3-5 sets