The Road To 500!

what’s a ‘shoulder horn’?

well said, but keep in mind that that i never stated otherwise. maybe i wasn’t being clear, but i was commenting on YOUR video. and in your video it it clear you know how to set up perfectly for your deadlift.

placing your butt lower wouldn’t be of any advantage to you.
[/quote]

hueyOT,

I understand, and I was more agreeing with you than anything else, I was just stating it in my words! I have seen top level lifters lift with their butts high, low, and in between. My ideal set up, is with my butt a little higher, I have tried it low and believe me it sucks, but like you have said, as long as you are keeping your back straight then you will be ok.

As far as push press, I will get a clip today for you as well as an updated clip of my band pulls!

firefighter82:
yesterday’s workout

Deadlift - 8 singles, 2 minutes rest, 435lbs each

Olympic Front Squat - 2 sets 4 reps @ 225lbs each

Pull Ups - 1 set 12, 3 sets 10 all with BW.

I just got a belt about 3 weeks ago, have pulled with it only twice, hence the desire to learn how to use it with multiple attempts above 90%.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
what’s a ‘shoulder horn’?[/quote]

This is a shoulder horn. Great rotator exercise!

[quote]suuuperdave wrote:
firefighter82:
yesterday’s workout

Deadlift - 8 singles, 2 minutes rest, 435lbs each

Olympic Front Squat - 2 sets 4 reps @ 225lbs each

Pull Ups - 1 set 12, 3 sets 10 all with BW.

I just got a belt about 3 weeks ago, have pulled with it only twice, hence the desire to learn how to use it with multiple attempts above 90%. [/quote]

suuuperdave,

Great lifts man! Keep pushin hard!

Here is today’s Pulling workout. Felt good, I knocked the weight down a bit and focused more on keeping my back straight. Let me know what you think.

A. Reverse Band Pull(Green+Purple for all)
405x3, 495x2, 545x2, 600x1,1,1. Then I dropped the bands and pulled 405 for three singles.

B. Low Cable Pull-through
180x8, 200x8,8,8

C1. GHR

C2. Standing Band Crunch
Avg bandx20,20,20

D. 1-Leg SLDL (w/DB)
20x8, 25x8,30x6

Misc Calf work

Everything felt good today, I had a good dynamic warm-up, and a good stretching session afterward and I feel remarkably good!

hueyOT,

Here is a vid of my push press. Hope this gives you the info you wanted!

Not sure if the vids uploaded or not so here goes again. First one is Pulling 600.

Here is the vid of my push press. 135x3.

Well, I’ll try these vids again and see if the third time is the charm.

Push Press

i can’t see the videos… time to fix your links or hit up the tech support forum.

Okay, for me, it’d be more like “The Road to 200!” – but I’m glad this thread came up. I’m not an experienced lifter and I’m rehabbing some injuries, so my focus is on that and on acheiving proper form in my “big” exercises (which, right now, are squats, deadlifts, high-pulls… some others, but those three and some row variations are the main “workout” after some shoulder and back rehab-by stuff, twisting lunges and bandwork to warm up).

I don’t mean to get into all that but to say that I have been doing my DLs a lot like a squat. I think my form’s been good in the sense that I keep my back flat (at least the big dudes I’ve asked to watch me on a couple sets say so, and from what I can tell in the mirror), knees behind my toes, shoulders back – but when I drop to the bottom (try to take it close to the floor on each rep), my back’s getting, not upright, but maybe 45 degrees above parallel.

I have tried to pay attention to the feel throughout ROM, and tried to keep it so I feel fairly equal stress on quads, glutes, and lower back (though I feel it in traps, too, at top), but at the bottom sometimes it feels more quads than anything. I’m trying to do a full ROM, but I know I have very tight hams – maybe part of it is compensation for that? I have been told, though, that “a DL is like a squat w/the bar in front”.

I do Romanian DLs, too, and feel those very much in hams and/or lower back (it seems easy to shift the stress in these) – perhaps I should aim for something of that feeling in the DL?

I will read the Tate and Robertson articles both and re-examine what I’m doing. Like I said, I’m not an experienced lifter – I know I have loads to learn – but I am capable of changing/refining what I’m doing if it doesn’t feel like it’s working or feels otherwise fucked up. (IOW, good advice is preferable, but I don’t worry too much about bad – I figure I have some judgement, if not a terrible lot.)

I keep telling myself that I will not use the internet for anything that’s not directly school related 'til after finals, but I am making a poor go of that.

Anyway, congrats to the OP on his new job, coming back from injury – if you can pull a clean 500 at your weight/apparent build I’ll be seriously impressed (and start re-evaluating what’s possible for myself).

[quote]Feist wrote:
Okay, for me, it’d be more like “The Road to 200!” – but I’m glad this thread came up. I’m not an experienced lifter and I’m rehabbing some injuries, so my focus is on that and on acheiving proper form in my “big” exercises (which, right now, are squats, deadlifts, high-pulls… some others, but those three and some row variations are the main “workout” after some shoulder and back rehab-by stuff, twisting lunges and bandwork to warm up).

I don’t mean to get into all that but to say that I have been doing my DLs a lot like a squat. I think my form’s been good in the sense that I keep my back flat (at least the big dudes I’ve asked to watch me on a couple sets say so, and from what I can tell in the mirror), knees behind my toes, shoulders back – but when I drop to the bottom (try to take it close to the floor on each rep), my back’s getting, not upright, but maybe 45 degrees above parallel.

I have tried to pay attention to the feel throughout ROM, and tried to keep it so I feel fairly equal stress on quads, glutes, and lower back (though I feel it in traps, too, at top), but at the bottom sometimes it feels more quads than anything. I’m trying to do a full ROM, but I know I have very tight hams – maybe part of it is compensation for that? I have been told, though, that “a DL is like a squat w/the bar in front”.

I do Romanian DLs, too, and feel those very much in hams and/or lower back (it seems easy to shift the stress in these) – perhaps I should aim for something of that feeling in the DL?

I will read the Tate and Robertson articles both and re-examine what I’m doing. Like I said, I’m not an experienced lifter – I know I have loads to learn – but I am capable of changing/refining what I’m doing if it doesn’t feel like it’s working or feels otherwise fucked up. (IOW, good advice is preferable, but I don’t worry too much about bad – I figure I have some judgement, if not a terrible lot.)

I keep telling myself that I will not use the internet for anything that’s not directly school related 'til after finals, but I am making a poor go of that.

Anyway, congrats to the OP on his new job, coming back from injury – if you can pull a clean 500 at your weight/apparent build I’ll be seriously impressed (and start re-evaluating what’s possible for myself).[/quote]

feist:
Thanks and good luck with your work! The key is to keep plugging away man! The game is a game for life so don’t kill yourself trying to hit big numbers too soon. I decided to go for this now, but the reality is I max out, on any lift, very infrequently. I probably won’t pull another max single for at least 6 months.

Ill say it now, a max attempt is never very pretty, the big lifts I’ve seen videos of are never the picture of perfect form, but the fact of the matter is, you don’t max out every time. On a max attempt, I might have 600lb hamstrings, 550lb glutes, and a 502lb lower back. I’ll still pull 500, but my lower back might round a bit, but I will still have pulled 500(That is assuming I hit 500:-)

The point is that you don’t pull a competition lift every day, so train with proper form, but when it comes to the big day, get the freakin weight up! That is my philosophy anyway. Again good luck with everything man!

Here is today’s ME Lower Body Workout.

Warm-up

A. Below Parallel Box Squat
135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x3, 295x3, 315x1, 225x3,3

B. Goodmorning
45x8, 95x8, 115x8, 135x8

C1. DB Lunge
25x8, 30x8, 35x8

C2. Low-Cable Pull-through
200x8,8,8

D. GHR

E. DB Shrug
105x10, 110x10, 115x10, 110x10, 105x10

F. Finished off with some mid-thigh pin pulls
135x1, 225x1, 315x1, 405x1, 495x1, 545x1, 600x1

Stretch out.

Everything felt awesome today, I was fresh and felt strong on everything!

Ok, That push press video is from the other day, I gave it one more shot with my post today and it loaded although it is sideways. So I will again try my reverse band pull one more time.

it’s hard to tell from that camera angle, but your technique looks very good from what i can see.

are you keeping your elbows in the whole time and largely activating your triceps when you explode the weight overhead? it’s clear that you’re pushing your head through your arms to, on the lift so that the bar is a little bit behind your head at the top of the movement. that’s great. it’s clear that you’ve received some good instruction from some experienced lifters. nobody would be able to lift with that technique by simply watching others train, you’ve definitely had a mentor or two! great job.

the only things i’d say is that you should be more explosive. try to increase your speed. really commit to the lift and give it 100%. you know what i mean? it’s a lot easier to do that with challenging loads, though, as it feels strange to explode with light weights… as if the bar will fly out of your hands going up.

i’m sure you know this, but just drive through your heels at the initiation of the lift while explosively contracting your hamstrings and spinal erectors to straighten out your torso while driving the bar up and keeping it close to your body, drive your hips forward to if you can remember about the time that the bar is coming just above your knees.

great job man i think you are gonna lift some sick poundage in due time.

i wonder if their are any well-experienced olympic lifters on this site who post in this forum.

thanks for sharing the video too, man. it’s awesome to see people doing bad-ass training and making real progress.

if you have a friend who can film you from the front, or around the front, that’d make it easier to see the technique. it’s not like i’m mr expert trying to tell you what to do but i’m always interested to see how people perform their exercises. but from what i can tell you definitely know a thing or two about how to perform compound lifts!

good luck.

hueyOT:

Thanks for the kind words man! Believe it or not, the only instruction I have received is from this site and elitefts, and the books I have read. I study my butt off, but when it comes down to it, I put in more time in the gym than anything so I can iron out the kinks and get it right. To me this game is a life-long pursuit and God-willing I intend to lift until the day they put me in the ground! And good form, and intelligent program design and proper recovery are the only ways to ensure that! And because of the info this site puts out, I am eternally grateful for the pain and trouble I am sure they have saved me!

I’ll try to have some better vids in the future too, I know its kind of difficult to see the way I have been doing it. One other thing, as far as explosiveness on the push press, I am usually better but that vid was just one shot AFTER a HEAVY pulling workout so I could get the vid for this site. I promise I am more explosive normally! Thanks again and good luck!

firefighter82

how’s the pulling going?
yesterday’s ME lower went as follows

Olympic Front Squat - 3@255, 3@265, 3@275
Snatch Grip Deadlift - 1@355 w/ straps

Rep work with single leg box squats and some shoulder work.

the front squats were hard because I haven’t hit them since August, and the deadlift was easy. I only have 1 ME lower workout left at school before I’ll go home for the holidays, so I’ll prally hit up a box squat of some sort seeing as I wont have access to any sort of a box while I’m at my gym at home. While I’m at home I’ll try and push the envolope with my pull, hopefully get close to 5 plates…maybe even get there before you do! ha, that’s a challenge, not a put down.