The Old-School Calf Blast

by Ellington Darden

6 Calf Workouts in 2 Weeks

The lead photo shows Chris Dickerson's calves, who won the 1970 AAU Mr. America and the 1982 Mr. Olympia. Dickerson had the best calves I've ever seen on a bodybuilder.

Get ready to learn about the most productive calf routine I've ever used. I've used this calf workout multiple times in the 1970s and eventually added a few revisions. The result is a cycle that combines super sets, rest-pause, burns, and negative-accentuated techniques.

The Program

This program is perfect for stubborn calves that refuse to grow. The two-week routine engorges, stimulates, and produces the greater size you've been looking for.

Soreness? Yeah... deep and surface β€” especially during the first week. But the soreness dissipates during Week 2.

Below is a description of the movements in Weeks 1 and 2. The directions may seem complex. Read them several times carefully until you understand the details.

Week 1

The first seven guidelines relate to ONE extended set of calf raises. Once you start the extended set, you remain in the machine for 3-4 minutes.

1. 15 Reps, 2 Shakes. Select a weight that allows 15 full-range repetitions on the standing calf raise. (I suggest you select approximately 20% less resistance than you normally use.) Do your reps in very strict form: up on your toes as high as possible – until the muscle almost cramps – then down slowly into a deep stretch. Keep your knees stiff but not locked. Don't hurry the movements. Focus intensely on each one. Stand on one foot while still in the machine. Lift the other foot and shake it to help relax the calf. Do the same for the other foot. Then, back to the first and back to the second. The rest-relax cycle involves two quick shakes for each calf, and once you get the hang of it, all the shakes should take only 6 seconds.
  2. 8 Reps, 2 Shakes. Stand again on both feet and do 8 more full reps. Then do another round of rest-relax shakes just like before.
  3. 8 Reps, 2 Shakes. Do 8 more reps and the same shakes.
  4. 8 Reps, No Shakes. Do a final set of 8 reps. Immediately, with no rest or shakes, go into the "burns" stage.
  5. Short-Range Burns. Do short-range movements, burns, in the contracted position for as long as you can stand it, usually 15 to 20 seconds. Then, there's the last phase.
  6. 2-Up/1-Down. Go up on both calves, and while at the top, take one foot off the block and slowly lower with the other calf only. Continue for 5 to 10 reps of each leg, depending on your tolerance. This concludes one extended set, so you can ease out of the machine.
  7. Rest and Massage Calves. Sit and massage your pumped calves for exactly 2 minutes. (I've never, in my 50 years of bodybuilding, experienced a pump like this extended set produces.)
  8. One-Legged Calf Raise. Stand, step up on the stable block of wood, and do one-legged calf raises. Work your weaker calf first. Balance yourself on one leg with no resistance other than your body weight. Raise your heel as high as possible. Attempt to go higher by standing on your big toe. Lower your heel slowly to the stretched position. Try to go lower by extending and spreading your toes. Continue for 15 slow, smooth repetitions. Do the same number of reps for the other calf.

Repeat for three nonconsecutive days for Week 1.

Review

The calf cycle consists of:

1. 15 reps, 2 shakes
  2. 8 reps, 2 shakes
  3. 8 reps, 2 shakes
  4. 8 reps, no shakes
  5. Short-range burns for 15-20 seconds
  6. 2-up/1-down for 5-10 reps
  7. Rest and massage calves for 2 minutes
  8. One-legged calf raises for 15 reps on each leg

Week 2

• Add 5% more weight
  • Drop one-legged calf raises
  • Do 2 rounds of steps 1-7
  1. 15 reps, 2 shakes
  2. 8 reps, 2 shakes
  3. 8 reps, 2 shakes
  4. 8 reps, no shakes
  5. Short-range burns for 15-20 seconds
  6. 2-up/1-down for 5-10 reps
  7. Rest and massage calves for 2 minutes

Moving a little faster during the second cycle is okay.

Repeat for three nonconsecutive days for Weeks 2.

3 Likes

This is HIT (and it’s going to hurt good and feel bad). Any survivors?

I’m down for some serious calf pain (and growth).
True fact: Dickerson is known for never training his calves.