The Investing Thread (Coronavirus Edition)

This is me now. I would say I am always buying more than my peers though (they think I am a bit nuts). I am 32, and have been maxing or close to maxing my 401K for awhile (so I lost a good chunk these last couple weeks).

I figure this strategy gives me the highest probability of being rich.

1 Like

CNBC is reporting that lawmakers are “skeptical” of a Boeing bailout.

I dumped today on modest losses. Too much risk for me.

Airlines will be bailed first, but I think they all get bailed.

2 Likes

… and WTI is up ~ 25%

1 Like

I bought lots of shares of UWT yesterday at .25. It’s been a good day.

1 Like

My opinion hasn’t changed on either. As of now I plan to pull the trigger on AAL tomorrow. Roku and Hertz had nice bumps today too.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Boeing go down, but they will definitely be bailed out. I mean, I’m wrong often when it comes to markets and investing, but I’m pretty certain about this one.

The real headline is we have a Republican administration talking about taking equity positions in the companies they bail out. State-owned enterprises. Just like China…

Wow, great timing. When do you plan on getting out?

Who’s watching the retail sector? That one should bounce back rather quickly as well and companies that aren’t over leveraged will be fine. I’m liking Foot Locker at the moment but still researching.

Take a look at debt-to-income ratios. They’re all in shitty condition, but DAL is little further from death’s door than AAL. If the government wants to let one airline fail as an example (think Lehman Brothers in 2008), it’d probably be AAL based on balance sheet alone. LUV is actually in a pretty good position, but less upside.

Depends on what happens with Russia/SA. If nothing happens, I’ll move to DWT (opposite of UWT) prior to April 1.

I don’t disagree with any of that. LUV is the safest bet by far. UAL has been overlooked in this thread and has also been hit hard. They look to be in slightly better shape than AAL, but I think any bailout goes to the whole industry. I don’t include Boeing in that though, airliners only.

There’s also the JETS ETF out there. Not to beat a dead horse but I’m not touching it because of BA. May be a good play for those that have a better outlook on them than myself though.

I have no interest in retail right now. People are not spending disposable income until they see the end of this. Then, it will take awhile for sales to return.

I have a hefty chunk of cash I was planning to use for a DP on a home this summer/fall. Now I’m not so sure I shouldn’t put it all into stocks in a few weeks, and put off the house for a couple years.

What do you know more about, the stock market or the property market? You’ll still need to live somewhere.

I own a small condo now. Mortgage payments on it are easy for me to make, so housing needs currently is taken care of.

I am lucky to be in a position where, by chance, so much of my wealth is liquid and didn’t get hit by the market crash. It also makes me think I would be plain stupid to not try and take advantage by buying low and sitting back for a couple years before pulling it all out.

Sounds great in principle but putting that into practice? Not so easy. There are people who are expert in this market and the people who aren’t are heir lawful prey. Good luck either way pal.

Stay the course. Bet on the history of the market for the long term and you will be ok. Even after all my loses recently I’m still ok. Because I’m over 60 I pulled back on my aggressive positions with about 50% six months ago.

Hi guys,
Sorry, I’m late to the party, but read the tread to catch up.
*Disclaimer… I don’t own any shares. I have only invested in bricks and mortar, so please bare that in mind…
I don’t think anyone has mentioned pharmaceuticals?
With the current state of both supplier demands and also the panic buying, i would have thought they could be an interesting prospect? Or have their prices not dropped to the same magnitude as other non essential industries?

I know everyone wants to be a contrarian and buy when others are selling, but don’t just assume this drop and subsequent recovery will look like the last one. The recovery following the 2008 crash was v-shaped. No guarantee we’ll get off that easy this time around.

I know things appear “cheap” after the drop, but they’re not. Sure, stocks are cheaper than they were, but there’s no way to really value anything right now. P/E ratios are based off of old earnings data. And, who the hell knows how to discount expected earnings to account for the virus? We’re in uncharted territory.

I think the worst thing anyone could do is drop a large lump sum into the market right now. If you’re going to make a big play, wait until volatility drops. Capital tends to move from assets with high volatility to assets with low volatility. Don’t be on the wrong side of that. Alternatively, you could dollar cost average in over time.

I think we’ve seen some support for the S&P 500 at 2400. However, if that support doesn’t hold, we’re going to drop hard and fast.

If you’re looking for a place to stick money, leave it cash or something like UUP, which tracks the dollar against other major currencies. People seek safety in times of uncertainty, and the dollar is still the world’s reserve currency.

1 Like