The End of Women’s Powerlifting?

Haha that’s what I thought when I first read it. I mean, I know he didn’t, but…

1 Like

What? I don’t even know what that means.

Of course you do, but I’m probably more likely to do that when something is actually causing real harm to a person, not when someone gets called a mean name.

Well, Christ said to turn the other cheek. You’ve talked about being a Christian before. And in this day and age the guys who can’t let a single offense to their honor slide usually get shot. So have fun with that. We’ve forgotten the wise advice of John Witherspoon’s character in Friday.

If food can be racist…

The USAPL only ever had the illusion of fairness anyways. Drug tested is what the competition is. I think a lot of people perceive that to mean something different than what it literally is. I suppose it is fair if you understand that someone who uses banned PEDs and passes the test is playing fairly.

That being said, I don’t see why they don’t just create a transwomen division.

I’m sure many black victims of violent crime have called the perpetrators, if they were also black, that word.

2 Likes

Because you get into the whole separate but equal argument. Also, transwomen want to be considered women, not a version of a woman.

2 Likes

You’re right, I see it on social media. Might not be the exact word, but it’ll be another dog whistle.

Doesn’t make it ethically right to say it regardless.

That is what we have with women’s sports anyways.

Christ wasn’t silent, christ was strong and demonstrated meekness.

Christ spoke, hell there’s even a book :scream:

It’s more about how you communicate to someone rather than what you say.

You said it yourself with the whole “get shot thing”, words can come with consequences.

I feel like it’s worth appreciating that it’s only in situations like these that people suddenly care about women’s powerlifting.

6 Likes

I feel like we’re on different pages here…I was just saying your comment of not letting something slide if someone said something rude to you or a loved one wasn’t in line with these teachings. Since I am of the opinion that mean names don’t cause much harm at all, those moments are the perfect times (in MY opinion, this isn’t a fact) to turn the other cheek and let something slide.

I was referring to more people settling disputes with guns instead of their words and possibly fists. An argument on the street is more likely to result in death. That’s not a good thing nor am I saying that it should be the end result when someone calls someone a bad name.

I believe if you are called a slur to walk away. To respond with heated words will not change the person’s mind. To respond with violence will not change the person’s mind and will probably result in some disastrous end result that no one wanted. I felt like when you said you wouldn’t let a mean name slide that you were implying that you would respond with one or both of these things and I disagree with that being the proper response. When I’ve been called racial slurs I’ve found that the best way to move forward is to do exactly that - getting back at the person who said it does nothing for me and could possibly deepen their hateful feelings for my “kind.”

That’s it.

Yes. But transwomen claim they are women. The court’s decision mentioned inherent disadvantages that trans athletes face because they are considered separate from biological women.

That was a bullshit argument.

They are throwing away fairness for inclusion.

1 Like

Celebrate diversity! Or else…

I did quite a few USAPL meets over my years competing in powerlifting, including a couple of national competitions. In local and state level meets I’d usually win my weight class in the open division or come in second. I was never drug tested. My impression was that the only lifters who were tested were the lifters who won best lifter or set records.

1 Like

Because they’re not trans women, they’re women. Either all of it is true or none of it is. If a man can become a woman, you can’t create a trans division. Separate but equal is inherently not equal, because it’s separate.

Of course that’s all bullshit because a man cannot become a woman and a woman cannot become a man.

3 Likes

Every once in a while you get a topic that unites all of TNation. What unity :handshake:.

5 Likes

A man cannot become a woman, nor can a woman become a man

4 Likes

The problem is that you have a court making a legal decision vs a sport making a decision based on sporting fairness (taking into account science).

2 Likes

I know this isn’t always the case, but funny.

7 Likes