The Daily Routine of An Unemployed Person

I am not joking. “Earn a living”? Earn it from who? Really think hard about what earn means. Many many valuable and awesome things should be earned. Not food, shelter or health. All this “work ethic” is bullshit invented by the excessively rich to keep the people who have to “earn” to live in line and as productive as possible. Hard work leading to success is probably a more damaging myth than religion.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:
ITT: republicans. I ask, why should a person be obligated to do some boring task for 8 hours a day 5 days a week for the right to eat and sleep under a roof? Why should I or anyone have to “just get a job” that they probably will hate and will in fact make them unhealthier? Blaming the economy for being unemployed is like blaming the nuclear bomb for killing a bunch of Japanese. Which is to say it makes sense.[/quote]

This question is predicated on the assumption that you have a right to eat OR sleep under a roof.

All else after that becomes bullshit.
[/quote]

I honestly do not know what you mean. Are you saying we should not have the right to eat or sleep under a roof?

[quote]StevenF wrote:

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:
ITT: republicans. I ask, why should a person be obligated to do some boring task for 8 hours a day 5 days a week for the right to eat and sleep under a roof? Why should I or anyone have to “just get a job” that they probably will hate and will in fact make them unhealthier? Blaming the economy for being unemployed is like blaming the nuclear bomb for killing a bunch of Japanese. Which is to say it makes sense.[/quote]

this is the attitude that is ruining this once great nation. [/quote]

This type of thing is really unhelpful. “Once great nation”? who says? Slavery anyone? Only in the good old days right? Japanese internment camps? I am getting wistful over here thinking about our nations illustrious and noble past. I humbly submit that your attitude is in fact the one that propogates more inequality and hate and misery than mine.

I think that OP should hit the gym super hard and find a tolerable part-time job and learn to prioritize and budget. If you have a clear career in mind, something you know you want to do, then I doubt you would be on here looking for advice.

It is a matter of perspective. I am in a similar situation and I have never enjoyed life so much.

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:
I am not joking. “Earn a living”? Earn it from who? Really think hard about what earn means. Many many valuable and awesome things should be earned. Not food, shelter or health. All this “work ethic” is bullshit invented by the excessively rich to keep the people who have to “earn” to live in line and as productive as possible. Hard work leading to success is probably a more damaging myth than religion.[/quote]
Food, shelter, and health do not come free. Everything in this life worth having has a cost measurable in monetary worth (including the value of your time, materials, etc). If you do not pay this cost then who do you propose should pay it for you?

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:

This question is predicated on the assumption that you have a right to eat OR sleep under a roof.

[/quote]

I honestly do not know what you mean. Are you saying we should not have the right to eat or sleep under a roof?
[/quote]
Unless I’m mistaken, you are implying that food and shelter are a right in the sense that they should be provided to the individual if an individual is incapable of providing them for him/herself. I think he’s saying that while you have a right to pursue, acquire, own and enjoy food and shelter and no-one can take that away from you, no-one is obligated to provide those things to you.

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:
I am not joking. “Earn a living”? Earn it from who? Really think hard about what earn means. Many many valuable and awesome things should be earned. Not food, shelter or health. All this “work ethic” is bullshit invented by the excessively rich to keep the people who have to “earn” to live in line and as productive as possible. Hard work leading to success is probably a more damaging myth than religion.[/quote]

What you seem to miss is that someone has to drag his ass out of his bed to provide you with food and shelter.

Might as well be you, because I sure as hell do not want to do it for you.

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:

This is even dumber than the first thing you said. I keep trying to type rebuttals but it’s honestly too stupid to argue about.

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:

Food and shelter have been earned as long as humans have existed. Working is one of the most honorable tasks a person will perform in their entire life. I hope you are joking.[/quote]

You should publish in an anthropology journal. You seem to know a lot about early humans. This is the sort of broad, blanket statement that panders to peoples’ conditioned sense of pride in their work.

Fullback, your location says Illinois… is that by chance Chicago?

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:

This is even dumber than the first thing you said. I keep trying to type rebuttals but it’s honestly too stupid to argue about.[/quote]

Please try to type more rebuttals. This is a discussion.

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:

Food and shelter have been earned as long as humans have existed. Working is one of the most honorable tasks a person will perform in their entire life. I hope you are joking.[/quote]

You should publish in an anthropology journal. You seem to know a lot about early humans. This is the sort of broad, blanket statement that panders to peoples’ conditioned sense of pride in their work.[/quote]

Nope

well good luck being a bum I guess.

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes. We do not have that right. People who do get these things without working for them are usurping other peoples money and resources.

[quote]Fullback33 wrote:
You can believe what you want, and your opinion, is just that your opinion.

My opinion is, you sound like a 12 year old boy who never worked a day in his life. Or had responsibilities like a family.

I’m assuming you have marketable skills. And that you can find lots of job descriptions for whatever industry you’re looking at, and that they list particular skills they want a candidate to have.

Collect as many job descriptions as you can.
Go through them and figure out which skills and keywords show up the most. There’s software that does word counts, but you can do this by hand if you want.

1. Make sure that most of those skills and keywords actually apply to you… if not, work on those. If everyone’s asking for you to have experience with X, figure out some way to get experience with it, even if you don’t get paid.
  2. Make sure that you have most of those skills and keywords in your resume. When people (recruiters, HR staff) look for candidates to fill a position, they usually start with a keyword search. Try to make your name pop up in as many of those searches as possible.
  3. Make sure your resume shows up in all the online job boards.

Some of it is just a numbers game.

And, as has been said before, work your network.

Also, try and talk to a recruiting firm in your field… if you ask nicely, they’ll usually be able to give you a good idea of what the current state of the market is, and what you could work on to improve your chances. They might not have any jobs for you, but they can usually help you a bit… especially if you make it clear that you value their insight.

I am going off memory here but don’t you have an Engineering degree? If you are a freshly degreed engineer look for positions and opportunities that can give you marketable skills aside from what every other fresh graduate has. Machining and PLC programming are two that come to mind right away.

What type of position are you looking for? You would be surprised how many engineers go into it to make cool stuff and they end up being project managers and hating it.

Oh, and also try and enjoy the time you have, and enjoy hobbies and things you wanted to do but never did.

If you enjoy reading, you now have some time to enjoy your books. If you play an instrument, you have more time to play that. If you enjoy cooking, you can spend a little extra time to try new things, etc.

One of the better reasons for having nice things (and actually paying cash for them), is that when you’re without a job, you still have those things. When I was unemployed, I was still able to sleep in a nice bed, make good freshly ground coffee every morning, and play my piano and guitar. I explored a few genres of movies I hadn’t taken the chance to, and found ways to enjoy myself without spending any additional money.

In some ways, my quality of life actually improved for awhile.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
I am going off memory here but don’t you have an Engineering degree? If you are a freshly degreed engineer look for positions and opportunities that can give you marketable skills aside from what every other fresh graduate has. Machining and PLC programming are two that come to mind right away.

What type of position are you looking for? You would be surprised how many engineers go into it to make cool stuff and they end up being project managers and hating it.[/quote]

I am a Accounting/Information System. I’m trying to get into SQL Developer role/Business Analyst(most entail SQL reporting), Data Analyst type stuff as well.

I have also been applying to Financial Analysts role as well.