Testosterone Results?

I just had my annual physical (37 years old). I asked my HMO Doc to do a hormone panel for me and I got the results listed below. I know that I will most likely need additional bloodwork (probably an out of pocket expense), but I would appreciate everyone’s input on my limited results.

I am not experiencing any signs of low T, I just wanted a baseline for future comparison.

thank you in advance,

Testosterone Total…543

Globulin…28.1

Free Testosterone…12.69

Testosterone Bioavailable…298

If I read your results correctly, your free T is a little low, while your SHBG is okay.
If you could get another test run that includes an Estrogen profile, you may find out you could add a little adex, and get your Total T and free T numbers even higher for a better shot at higher HRT/TRT dosages when the time comes.
If your doc won’t run the second set of tests, there;s always LEF.org.
Good luck.

If I may piggyback on your post mday, I had my first testosterone check last week. I’m 44 and the doc said it came back at 16 which is within normal.

I can’t find anywhere which states the normal ranges… Any help anyone?

[quote]Duke wrote:
If I may piggyback on your post mday, I had my first testosterone check last week. I’m 44 and the doc said it came back at 16 which is within normal.

I can’t find anywhere which states the normal ranges… Any help anyone?[/quote]

what exactly is 16? i hope thats not free t

…that would more than likely be a Total Testosterone level of 16nmol/L (SI units). All lab ranges are slightly different, but the current healthy range for TT used by MDS Labratories here in Ontario is 8.4-28.7nmol/L.

For comparison, 16nmol/L can be converted to the ‘American’ equivalent of 461ng/dL (Conventional units). Most would consider that level to be low/normal…hebs

• edit * I just noticed that you’re Australian. As far as I know Australia uses the metric system (SI units), same as we have here in Canada.

[quote]Duke wrote:

I can’t find anywhere which states the normal ranges… Any help anyone?[/quote]

Remember that in the normal statistical range does not imply feeling well or normal. Many docs do not understand the idea of optimal levels.

The lab range sample includes some who are having a lot of trouble from low T. Many men are in that state. You do not want to be like them.

Thanks for the replies guys. I don’t really know anything more than what he said which is “your level is 16, well within normal ranges and nothing to worry about”.

I had no medical reason for asking for the test, I was just curious. At 44 and training 5 or 6 days a week, I wondered how I was going.

I didn’t have time to question him further as I’d already been there too long.

hebsie, yes, we probably use the same measurement as you guys.

Here are the reference ranges from Arup labs:

Serum Testosterone [ng/dL)

14-15 yrs--------100 - 320
16-19 yrs--------200 - 970
20-39 yrs--------400-1080
40-59 yrs--------350-890
60 and over ------350-720

Free Testosterone 47 - 244 pg/mL
% free Testosterone 1.6 - 2.9%

SHGB 11 - 80 nmol/L

Different labs have different reference ranges.

Thanks everyone.

I appreciate everyone’s input. I will have to check in with the Doc on getting my Estrogen levels checked.

Just a quick newbie question. What is adex?

thanks again

Arimidex a.k.a. anastrozole. It is a drug that will stop the aromitization (conversion) of Testosterone to Estrogen.

If your doctor won’t prescribe it, it is available on the internet in a very inexpensive liquid form.

Example: 1mg at pharmacy $9.00, 1mg liquid from internet approximately $1.00. Links if you ask.

Nolvadex is only 9.00 at Walmart pharmacy. :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity, what time of day did you have the blood drawn? Generally, testosterone levels are highest in the morning and drops throughout the day.

Rob320,

I had my blood tested at about 9:00AM. This was after a 12 hour fast, no pre-workout, and I had been up about four hours.