Supplement for Muscle Spams

Does anyone know of a supplement I can take
before my work to help prevent muscle spasms?

Thanks for your help,
MoMuscle

i immediately thought “magnesium” when i saw this thread. perhaps give ZMA a shot, spaced throughout the day. 1 when you wake, 1 mid afternoon, 1 and hour before bed. it’s cheap enough that trying a bottle wouldn’t hurt anything.

potassium. magnesium.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
I’ve heard that magnesium can help.

Also that eating some bananas on a regular basis is good.

FWIW.[/quote]

Thanks for your suggestion

[quote]seth.ewan wrote:
potassium. magnesium.[/quote]

Appreciate the info.

[quote]seth.ewan wrote:
potassium. magnesium.[/quote]

Thanks for your help…

[quote]E99_Curt wrote:
i immediately thought “magnesium” when i saw this thread. perhaps give ZMA a shot, spaced throughout the day. 1 when you wake, 1 mid afternoon, 1 and hour before bed. it’s cheap enough that trying a bottle wouldn’t hurt anything.[/quote]

Hey, I appreciate your suggestion…

[quote]Chushin wrote:
I’ve heard that magnesium can help.

Also that eating some bananas on a regular basis is good.

FWIW.[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote]seth.ewan wrote:
potassium.[/quote]

This works for me.

There are manifold possible medical reasons for muscle spasms. Most doctors just prescribe magnesium, since magnesium deficiency is well known to cause spasms, among other bad things…

But you can’t really tell what you’re deficient in without a plasma analysis. This is expensive and may not make sense to do just for the sake of its accuracy. That’s why everybody will tell you to take magnesium, since it’s cheap and if this doesn’t help you can always further investigate where your spasms come from.

Magnesium absobtion occurs in the upper part of the small intestine and is - contrary to popular belief - pretty efficient. It’s anywhere from 25% to 70% depending on the amount of intake and the form of magnesium you take (there are citrates, oxalates, etc.).

Try the following: Take 300mg of magnesium in the evening (it has a relaxing effect). Take it together with either Vitamin D or some purified lactose (if your not intollerant!) or both since both increase absorbtion. Many magnesium supplements contain additional Vitamin D.

Start with only 100mg since many people react to highre doses (diarrea). You can go up to 500mg if you want.

DON’T take with it: alcohol, protein, phosphates and fats. These substances hinder absorption. Make sure to wait 2-3 hours after your last meal before taking the magnesium.

Take 500mg potassium, split into 3-5 doses (of 100mg to 150mg) with meals over the course of the day.

Give this protocol a try for 3 weeks. If you still get spasms working out, see a good doctor and have a plasma analysis done.

Hope that helped.

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ll give it a try.

[quote]ParagonA wrote:
There are manifold possible medical reasons for muscle spasms. Most doctors just prescribe magnesium, since magnesium deficiency is well known to cause spasms, among other bad things…

But you can’t really tell what you’re deficient in without a plasma analysis. This is expensive and may not make sense to do just for the sake of its accuracy. That’s why everybody will tell you to take magnesium, since it’s cheap and if this doesn’t help you can always further investigate where your spasms come from.

Magnesium absobtion occurs in the upper part of the small intestine and is - contrary to popular belief - pretty efficient. It’s anywhere from 25% to 70% depending on the amount of intake and the form of magnesium you take (there are citrates, oxalates, etc.).

Try the following: Take 300mg of magnesium in the evening (it has a relaxing effect). Take it together with either Vitamin D or some purified lactose (if your not intollerant!) or both since both increase absorbtion. Many magnesium supplements contain additional Vitamin D.

Start with only 100mg since many people react to highre doses (diarrea). You can go up to 500mg if you want.

DON’T take with it: alcohol, protein, phosphates and fats. These substances hinder absorption. Make sure to wait 2-3 hours after your last meal before taking the magnesium.

Take 500mg potassium, split into 3-5 doses (of 100mg to 150mg) with meals over the course of the day.

Give this protocol a try for 3 weeks. If you still get spasms working out, see a good doctor and have a plasma analysis done.

Hope that helped.[/quote]

Appreciate the suggestion. I’ll give it a try.