Stupid Questions You Were Afraid to Ask

What questions have you avoided asking because you thought it would make you look stupid?

Ask them here, and hopefully someone will answer without making you feel like a tool.

Here’s mine:

When people quote weights for their lifts, are they including the weight of the bar or only the weights added to the bar?

For example, if you can bench 270 for 10 reps does that mean 6x45s or are you taking the weight of the bar (45 pounds for olympic) into account?

I’ve always assumed people are only talking about the weights and not including the bar weight, but just curious.

What “stupid” questions do you have?

If you are lifting the bar than you include the weight of the bar. What is your rationale for not including the bar weight?

I dont count the bar because its a counter weight.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
If you are lifting the bar than you include the weight of the bar. What is your rationale for not including the bar weight? [/quote]

Since bars have a standard weight, and it’s simpler to track the amount of weight added to the bar. Course, that only works if the person specifies he is lifting with a bar rather than machine/dumbells.

I just used a very light bar. Or none at all.

lol

sorry man, i think most of my bb questions have been answered.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[/quote]

Stupid questions are safe in this thread, but are stupid comments fair game? :wink: If you’re being serious, how would a bar act as a counterweight?

[quote]forlife wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
If you are lifting the bar than you include the weight of the bar. What is your rationale for not including the bar weight?

Since bars have a standard weight, and it’s simpler to track the amount of weight added to the bar. Course, that only works if the person specifies he is lifting with a bar rather than machine/dumbells. [/quote]

Not all bars are 45 pounds.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
forlife wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:

Since bars have a standard weight, and it’s simpler to track the amount of weight added to the bar. Course, that only works if the person specifies he is lifting with a bar rather than machine/dumbells.

Not all bars are 45 pounds.[/quote]

My Long one is.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Not all bars are 45 pounds.[/quote]

Truth. I got a cheap olympic bar with my weight equipment that only weighs 35 lbs.

While we’re at it, let’s only count the weight on one side! I mean it’s standard practice (generally) to load the bar evenly, so instead of saying “I can bench 315” you could just say “I can bench 135”. 315-45(bar weight)=270, 270/2=135. So you could easily convey how much you lift that way.

Isn’t that so much simpler than just saying how much you actually lifted? Seriously, what a waste of time and a bunch of narcissistic jerks saying how much weight they’re ACTUALLY lifting. Snobs.

Lol, point taken. If that’s the case though, is everyone weighing their bar to come up with the weight lifted? All the standard olympic bars I’ve seen have been 45 pounds, and curl bars have been 25 pounds, but sounds like there is some variation.

[quote]forlife wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:

Since bars have a standard weight, and it’s simpler to track the amount of weight added to the bar. Course, that only works if the person specifies he is lifting with a bar rather than machine/dumbells. [/quote]

It’s just as easy to count the weight of the bar if you are talking about a standard olympic bar. If you are talking about something like leg press, or Smith machine exercises, then they usually mean the amount of weight added.

Either that, or they will list the plates, rather than the weight. So, something like “3 wheels and a dime”, means 3 45lb plates and a 10lb plate on each side.

Sometimes there is variation, that’s why we include the weight of the bar, so when spouting off numbers, we don’t have to worry about bar weight, since it’s included. Much easier that way.

Most of the time oly bars will be 45 lbs, but not always. Besides, there’s really no reason NOT to include bar weight…you ARE, after all, lifting that weight as well. Afraid of bigger numbers or something?

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Either that, or they will list the plates, rather than the weight. So, something like “3 wheels and a dime”, means 3 45lb plates and a 10lb plate on each side.[/quote]

Uhoh using all sort of meathead jargon now are we? I’ll have you kicked out of planet fatness for this! It’s in fine print under the “no grunting” part of the sign.

I never thought about the weight of the bar. Well hot damn. I am stronger than I though.

aren’t some of the higher-rated PL bars heavier? i would think so b/c they are more dense and/or made of stronger mat’L.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
aren’t some of the higher-rated PL bars heavier? i would think so b/c they are more dense and/or made of stronger mat’L.[/quote]

That and I was thinking most bars are 20kg not actually 45 pounds.

Collars can be substantial in weight too.

Or maybe they’re just made of equally heavy but stronger metal…oooh the controversy! Now we can never know how much weight we’re actually lifting lol, we’ll have to carry scales with us to gyms to make sure.

And 20 kg is 44 lbs…I don’t think it’s all THAT significant…

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Or maybe they’re just made of equally heavy but stronger metal…oooh the controversy! Now we can never know how much weight we’re actually lifting lol, we’ll have to carry scales with us to gyms to make sure.

And 20 kg is 44 lbs…I don’t think it’s all THAT significant…[/quote]

why are you getting all girly snippy?

at least the guy asked the question.

This is why folks don’t want to ask questions, some guys get their panties in a wad.

[quote]forlife wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

Stupid questions are safe in this thread, but are stupid comments fair game? :wink: If you’re being serious, how would a bar act as a counterweight?[/quote]

I believe he’s referring to this thread: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/countingthe_bar

Stupid questions?? Hmmm… I’ve asked all of mine already…

I could the bar… it’s just known that one plate a side is ‘135’ two is ‘225’ 3 is ‘315’… I figured that was universal… shrugs Guess not… lol :slight_smile: