Studies on High Reps and Hormone Release?

Does anyone have any links to studies showing the effect of high rep sets on IGF1, HGH, and/or T levels?

Does anyone care to share their knowledge on the subject?

I’m looking for some concrete evidence if anyone has some.

Thanks,

Ryan

These increases in hormones are all too transitory to have any significant effect…ok maybe heavy squats will increase your testosterone by 50% for 5 minutes.

Whoop-dee-do

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:
These increases in hormones are all too transitory to have any significant effect…ok maybe heavy squats will increase your testosterone by 50% for 5 minutes.

Whoop-dee-do[/quote]

Squats all day = jack3d

Whoop-dee-do[/quote]

I’m in the market for some studies that back up the statements you’re making. Where did you read about what you’re talking about?

Thanks

All I know is I gained about 20 pounds in 5 weeks from doing 20 rep squats, with a year of previous training. And yes, I kept my 6-pack even after that extreme weight gain. So I don’t know the science behind this or anything, all I know is my legs and back grew like hell.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
All I know is I gained about 20 pounds in 5 weeks from doing 20 rep squats, with a year of previous training. And yes, I kept my 6-pack even after that extreme weight gain. So I don’t know the science behind this or anything, all I know is my legs and back grew like hell.[/quote]

Natural or Chemical?

A year of training isn’t much, so you’re still hitting newbie gains at that point. My question is, what was your rate of gain after the 5 weeks and why’d you stop?

[quote]2020Wellness wrote:

Whoop-dee-do[/quote]

I’m in the market for some studies that back up the statements you’re making. Where did you read about what you’re talking about?

Thanks
[/quote]

OK…is this for a school project?

In any case, here’s what a cursory google search turned up:

http://jap.physiology.org/content/74/2/882.short

This one found that, compared to 10 max effort singles, 10 sets of 10 performed in the “squat-lift” yielded increased free & serum testosterone after the sessions. Days 1 & 2 after the exercise, researchers found that testosterone was LOWERED.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r866q8m835680400/

This one found no difference in testosterone levels after “Acute Heavy Resistance Exercise”, and found the training stimulus only to exist in the limb trained, suggesting that systemic endogenous hormones are not responsible for hypertrophy.

If you use this stuff on your website, that’s fine…just remember to cite “Virgin, Proud” as your source.

Whoop-dee-do[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]

OK…is this for a school project?

In any case, here’s what a cursory google search turned up:

http://jap.physiology.org/content/74/2/882.short

This one found that, compared to 10 max effort singles, 10 sets of 10 performed in the “squat-lift” yielded increased free & serum testosterone after the sessions. Days 1 & 2 after the exercise, researchers found that testosterone was LOWERED.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r866q8m835680400/

This one found no difference in testosterone levels after “Acute Heavy Resistance Exercise”, and found the training stimulus only to exist in the limb trained, suggesting that systemic endogenous hormones are not responsible for hypertrophy.

If you use this stuff on your website, that’s fine…just remember to cite “Virgin, Proud” as your source.[/quote]

Lol @ me being in school.

Also, thanks for the studies. I’m make sure to cite you, right after the team performing the actual experiments :wink: Nah, I’m not using these on my website. I don’t post articles on there, or at least I haven’t forever. This is for my own interest and to increase my job performance level. In this field, it’s always good to keep learning. I’ll never know everything, but the more I try to find out, the better.

Thanks again

Invest your money into this book called ‘Supertraining’ by Mel Siff & Yuri Verkhoshansky

It is a text book completely filled with training information taken from western and eastern science and covers this sort of stuff throughout in great detail, also presenting common and uncommon flaws in some studies and filtering though much of the bullshit studies that are out there. It is probably the one book you need, as much of the common training protocols derive their principles from the information presented in this book.

I bought a copy. Easily the best $80 I have ever spent.

Whoop-dee-do[/quote]

What he said.

Whoop-dee-do!

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
All I know is I gained about 20 pounds in 5 weeks from doing 20 rep squats, with a year of previous training. And yes, I kept my 6-pack even after that extreme weight gain. So I don’t know the science behind this or anything, all I know is my legs and back grew like hell.[/quote]

Natural or Chemical?

A year of training isn’t much, so you’re still hitting newbie gains at that point. My question is, what was your rate of gain after the 5 weeks and why’d you stop?
[/quote]

Natural. I stopped because I reached my goal weight.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

Natural or Chemical?

[/quote]

Natural. I stopped because I reached my goal weight.[/quote]

So now you’re just maintaining? Aiming to perfect and refine? I don’t think I’ll ever get to the point where I’m not trying to get bigger :slight_smile:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

Natural or Chemical?

[/quote]

So now you’re just maintaining? Aiming to perfect and refine? I don’t think I’ll ever get to the point where I’m not trying to get bigger :slight_smile:
[/quote]

No, I did that program 1 year ago. The past year I have just focused on strength training and have gotten from about 180 to 210. Now bulking again, hoping for a sub-10% 250 by the end of the year (chemically enhanced probably LOL)

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

Natural or Chemical?

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, I did that program 1 year ago. The past year I have just focused on strength training and have gotten from about 180 to 210. Now bulking again, hoping for a sub-10% 250 by the end of the year (chemically enhanced probably LOL)[/quote]

No kidding enhanced. You can’t make those kind of gains naturally in that period of time, I don’t care who you are. I’m thinking you’re shooting for the moon even enhanced…I can’t really say much about it though, as I’m a lifetime natural who’s never even seen steroids in person.

Whatever approach you take, good luck,

Ryan

None of the big names have a private library of more studies? :slight_smile: