Steel Cut v Rolled Oats

What’s the difference (besides the processing)? I looked at the nutritional information and they’re identical…the only difference to me seems to be the texture and the incredibly price increase on steel cut v rolled. Can anyone enlighten me on why I should be purchasing something for x2 the price?

They taste much much better than rolled oats but take forever to cook. As far as I know they are similar for nutritional value and how the body processes them. I just hit up the rolled oats, steel oats take toooo long to cook.

More something is processed, typically the less work the body has to do processing it. Which will equal a lower thermic effect, probably rather minimal though.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
More something is processed, typically the less work the body has to do processing it. Which will equal a lower thermic effect, probably rather minimal though.[/quote]

and to add to that your fiber from the oats are reduced significantly…

Boil water… put the steal cut oats in a metal thermos and pour hot water into the thermos, seal up the thermos… Let it sit over night…

Morning comes your oats are ready for you… yum yum

learn it… love it… live it…

Take oats growing in the field, and dehull them. These are called oat groats or whole oats. Chop these into small pieces you have steel-cut oats. Take the groats and steam them and roll them flat you have rolled oats. The hulls are oat bran and are high in soluble fiber. I haven’t tried them but I am going to look for them next time I go to the grocery store.

…this was in gourmet nutrition and a lot of the recipes use plain old rolled oats.

[quote]acelement wrote:
Can anyone enlighten me on why I should be purchasing something for x2 the price?[/quote]

Because you’re probably buying the stuff in a package. Buy it in bulk and it’s a lot cheaper.

I say eat both. Today I made pancakes with rolled oats. If I make a bowl of oatmeal I usually use steel cut, because I love the texture.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
More something is processed, typically the less work the body has to do processing it. Which will equal a lower thermic effect, probably rather minimal though.[/quote]

To follow up on that, I would think the more processed, the higher the GI value, for the same reason, and that would also be an additional consequence of the lower fiber, as inthego mentioned.

regular quaker rolled oats have 3 grams fiber per 20 gram carbs total (1/3 cup), i’d say that’s good enough even if it’s partially processed

The cooking time, steel cut takes fucking forever, and the texture is different. Rolled oats are my bread and butter and steel cut are kinda of a treat for me. Sprinkle some splenda and cinnamon on em and they almost, kinda, not really taste like a cinnamon roll.

One other thing, since the less processing means more digesting for you, if you have any intolerance to oats, which really just means an inability to fully digest them, this will make it worse, or perhaps make it obvious.

I do this occasionally, except I just add the steel cut oats into the pot of boiling water, cover it, and reheat it the next morning.

I can’t stand rolled oats - too mushy.

With steel cut oats, I don’t like waiting. I just cook them quickly by bringing the water to a boil - and then eat them half raw. Actually, sometimes I just eat them completely raw. lol!

Here’s a good article on Oats by John K. Williams:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/recipes/brief_history_of_oats.htm