Squats Tomorrow

I got new shoes!
Fuck yeah!
The loudest, most obnoxious shoes I could find!
I don’t know why that is the way it is this season… All the trainers are in neon yellow and orange and even pink (really dude, I mean really you think that works for you?)

Only good will come of this.

(I suspect they are a cheapish imitation of the minimus. I need something a bit softer for rehabbing my feet, though. Sad that I can’t live in vibrams, but I can’t move around in them so well. I suspect NZ is more than 1/2 a year behind in fashion… I remember being so proud of my neon socks in the 80’s ffs)

Did some (heavy-ish for me) powercleaning and push jerking the other day and my traps have been very sore from that. Reminded me how much I loved powercleaning. Even though I was using the dinky little bodypump bar with 4 10kg plates on it and I don’t think anything else would have fit…

Did some snatching and squat cleaning and push jerking today. Worked up to 35kg for snatching but then got a bit nervous… Guess that is to be expected in non-ideal conditions (shitty bar, plates the wrong height, no chalk, new years resolutioners not understanding about line of site). and about the same for squat cleaning which is pretty shit… but my front squat has deteriorated with lack of practice.

did some skipping in my new shoes and very happy. old ones have never been the same since they got saturated one day… they have felt all sloppy for a while. i feel more like a ninja, now.

i miss oly lifting. i’m going to have to do something about this…

getting into my writing routine and that is progressing :slight_smile:

time to face facts: i’m turning into a fatso.

biggest culpret: beer.

also: sugar.

i need to get back to my fairly paleo eating…

'tis a little hard because of my living situation (vegetarians who live off carbs generally and sugar in particular)

i need to hear back about physio, hear back from my PhD supervisor, and figure out my living (also eating) situation for this year…

gym has been variable with weird holiday hours and i’ve missed more sessions than ever…

still doing the skipping… jumping (over a box, onto a box, broad jump). a little beam work on a bit of wood… squats for mobility. back is giving me grief because of the sitting and writing.

chin-ups tomorrow fatso.

Happy New Year Dr. Lexy! And a toast to some balance.

I miss Oly too. I had a dream I was going to some special award ceremony with my coach’s new overachiever lifter.

Processed sugar is evil for me, worse than wine. I kicked the habit right after my injury, unfortunately I then had a mini holiday and I’m back on it. Instantly I’ve gained 4kg.

Love the shoes!

Ive been so good about the beer here. Its like beer heaven, with lots of men walking around with big bellies
and a wife that matches. Never saw so many beer bellies on women. If I had to pick my number one stomach turner
its a beer gut <<<see what i did there.

Are you trying to talk yourself into the chins? hehe

Good luck with the writing and balance.

HEY I didn’t know you were still loggin’! This is awesome.

And I highly doubt you are really a fatso…

[quote]alexus wrote:

This year: I seem to have come through the other side on the quitting smoking thing. I am working / writing. Without cigarettes. I didn’t think that would ever be possible for me…

To be Dr Dr eventually. Not entirely sure why… But that is what it is about, really :-)[/quote]

Lex,

Happy New Year!

Just lurking your log a bit. I remember your quit smoking thread and it made me feel so happy for you. I knew you would do it! And it’s been awesome to watch you keep up with all the rehab over the past couple of years. Honestly, you’ve one of the most inspiring people here.

About your career/ mission in life…I keep thinking you have to end up doing something rehabilitation related. I know you’ve done tons of school, but I’d love to see you as a PT, or something therapy/ chiro / massage related … Some form of helping people with injuries and imbalances.

[quote]alexus wrote:
'tis a little hard because of my living situation (vegetarians who live off carbs generally and sugar in particular)

[/quote]

Vegetarianism is evil!

I don’t think my diet was ever more unhealthy than when I was a vegetarian. That stuff is so processed it’s unbelievable, I mean how can you turn the same bean into bacon, burgers, ice cream, yoghurt, cheese, margarine and milk!

And don’t hate on the fat, didn’t you read the article saying that bodyweight regardless of composition makes you stronger?

Fat = Win!

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
[

[/quote]

Vegetarianism is evil!

[/quote]

I love how those effers are allowed to be all racist against meat eaters with their ghey bumper stickers and t-shirts, etc…like their some holy group. Eff em!

[quote]sen say wrote:

I love how those effers are allowed to be all racist against meat eaters with their ghey bumper stickers and t-shirts, etc…like their some holy group. Eff em![/quote]

Too true.

I feel well qualified to comment here having gone from a self righteous vegetarian (for over 10 years) to a smallholder (I think the term in the US is hobby farmer). Essentially the gamekeeper turned poacher. I used to preach to everyone how bad the meat industry was and delight in telling them all about the cruelty and suffering inflicted on their behalf, while guiltlessly quaffing my milk and scoffing my cheese. Ignorantly unaware at the time what happened to the male offspring of organic dairy cows or the male chicks of free range laying hens. Yes there’s plenty of killing involved producing the “guilt free” animal products vegetarians eat too.

Fortunately I never ran into anyone more knowledgeable on the subject than me, so the inconsistency in my argument was never discovered. The me now however, would have made the me then look like a dick in a debate. If you’re a vegetarian or a pescatarian (what the fuck is that anyway, fish aren’t animals?) then you are just as much a part of the process and killing of animals as a meat eater. The whole vegetarian argument is flawed. Maybe if you’re a vegan you can absolve yourself of some guilt, but once you take into account the food miles, the destruction of the rain forests to grow soya and what would happen to these animals and the countryside if no-one ate meat then it’s not quite as black and white as it seems.

Sorry for the thread hijack alexus.

I got accepted into physical therapy school!

So this last month and a bit I’ve been frantic trying to move myself half way across the country…

Found a place to live that is close to campus (and the campus gym) with people who eat fairly well.

Haven’t been training much over the last month, but have got back into it over the last few days.

I’ll start logging again and then figure out some kind of program.

I can Oly lift again. No women’s bar but 2 platforms and lighter plates (2.5kg and 5kg bumpers). Bumpers. I ordered some fractional plates today.

School starts Monday.

:slight_smile:

snatch to 32.5. singles. 2 minutes rest. will take a while for me to get a feel for technique again. keeping my butt down and getting it moving back off the floor and staying close…

clean and jerk to 30. found the belt i’m going to use. totally makes a huge difference if i really expand my rib cage out to press against the belt. feel my legs working rather than my core folding…

front squat. triples. up to a set at 35.

some rolling around.
some elliptical trainer.

some 30 seconds hand bike supersetted with 30 seconds stationary bike. i like that one for keeping the heart rate up… will get more properly into that for some conditioning, i think.

not too bad for a gentle easing back into things.

Glad to see you back.

Oh. I decided I wanted to be a physical therapist when it was just a wee bit too late in life. Good luck to you.

Congrats on physical therapy school!

How long before you learn enough to help us old farts out for free!? :wink:

YAY! CONGRATS! I have been wondering where you were and what you have been up too :slight_smile:
Very exciting time for you!

Perfect fit for you!!! Nice to see you back.

[quote]alexus wrote:
I got accepted into physical therapy school!

So this last month and a bit I’ve been frantic trying to move myself half way across the country…

Found a place to live that is close to campus (and the campus gym) with people who eat fairly well.

Haven’t been training much over the last month, but have got back into it over the last few days.

I’ll start logging again and then figure out some kind of program.

I can Oly lift again. No women’s bar but 2 platforms and lighter plates (2.5kg and 5kg bumpers). Bumpers. I ordered some fractional plates today.

School starts Monday.

:-)[/quote]

PERFECT! PT school is just the perfect fit. Congratulations, Lex!

congrats on the school Alexus!

Welcome back Alexus.

What are your goals? Weren’t you doing BB style training before you disappeared?

Have you got out on your bike much?

Lexy, yer back and Recon is out of hiding too. I think a PT is just up your alley. Maybe you can fix me :wink:

Good going on starting with 32.5kg for snatching though, WHEN I get back into I think I’ll be starting from an empty bar again, never mind over 20kg. Let me know how the belt gets on, WHEN I get back into it, definitely something I’ll be using.