Squats Tomorrow

I used to log in the powerful women compound but I’d like to start a log here if you guys will have me. I’ll be 35 next september so see myself as training for Masters.

Olympic Lifting is my first love, but I’ve been having a hard time finding training facilities (a women’s bar in particular) so that is on the back burner for now.

Not that I was any good at it, anyway.

I’m in the process of applying for physical therapy school to look at starting March 2013. I have a bit of time on my hands now and I’m sick of messing about. I need to log again to keep a better track of my progress.

It also gets me more regular in keeping up with other peoples logs and I’ve learned most everything I know from this site.

So…

Squats tomorrow.

IN!

Welcome back

hey matty, looking hooge as ever!

thanks for stopping by, snap. i think your post got vanished with the thread consolidation.

JUMP ROPE - 3x100. played a bit with minute intervals but prefer to count reps.

FRONT SQUAT - 20kg 3x5, 25kg 3x5, 30kg 3x5, 35kg 1x5 (50 reps)

UNILATERAL LEGS - messing about in my quest to do an unassisted pistol. Working TKE’s, step-ups, skater squats etc. Some lunges. Using the fixed bar in the smith machine for assistance and / or working partial ROM. I’m really not anywhere near close to a pistol. Don’t have the control over my femur. Don’t have the strength in my legs (with my long femurs) either.

MATT WORK - messing about with rolling (front and back and sideways) and core activation. headstands. playing with gym ball balance stuff.

SPIN CLASS - some conditioning.

tomorrow: chin-ups / upper body pull.

Hey Lexy! How is life treating you in kiwiland, what gym are you in now?

Yeah I’ve not done any o lifting for awhile. I was able to do some 20kg snatches here & there but not sure when I’ll be able to get back into it.

Heyyyyy Hiiiiiiii

SPIN BIKE ~~~ Ive been warming up on that. Im always amused how my legs burn after a min on that thing.

Looking forward to this log, you have a way of engaging my brain, I love that!

welcome…

[quote]minimaltechno wrote:
Hey Lexy! How is life treating you in kiwiland, what gym are you in now?

Yeah I’ve not done any o lifting for awhile. I was able to do some 20kg snatches here & there but not sure when I’ll be able to get back into it.

[/quote]

minimal! hi!

training in a regular commercial gym these days. different branch of the chain i joined last summer. i still practice oly lifting with the broomstick sometimes for mobility. strongly dislike trying to oly lift a crappy regular bar, though. either smash my pubis or swing it out wide.

how are your knees?

[quote]Up wrote:
Heyyyyy Hiiiiiiii

SPIN BIKE ~~~ Ive been warming up on that. Im always amused how my legs burn after a min on that thing.

Looking forward to this log, you have a way of engaging my brain, I love that!

[/quote]

hey, up!

thanks for the welcome. i was pretty ambivalent about biking thinking that the smooth endurance rotational movement might not be so good for my power / strength development. farmerbrett and bird were into biking, though, and their quads didn’t seem to suffer because of it…

i’m close to one year without cigarettes! i think the spinning is good for improving my lung capacity. helping the range of motion… helping them be more elastic… something. i think i’m just now starting to have better control over my breathing / diaphram. finally learning to take a belly full of air and hold my core stable. think that my previous inability to do this is a large part of the reason why my squat sucks so much / why my performance on them is so variable.

[quote]damutt wrote:
welcome…[/quote]

thanks! glad to be here.

JUMP ROPE - 100 skips x 10. Pretty happy with this. Will do it a couple more times then move to 150 skips…

LAT PULLDOWN - 14kg 1x10, 21kg 1x10, 28kg 1x10, 35kg 1x10

by which time I figured out which chin-up bar it is going to be. it is slightly fat. fat like a smith machine bar. maybe slightly fatter than an oly bar. much fatter than the bar i’m used to doing chins from.

NARROW GRIP CHIN-UPS

2x1 - from standing with bar at wrist height with hands outstretched.
8x1 - from standing with bar only just grabbable.

i’ve got some work to do on these…

i was doing a Harry Selkow prescribed program but bailed on that a while ago when i plateaued. i’ve gained about 8kg this year - some leg muscle, some all over fat. chins feel much harder than they used to :frowning:

i will get to 10x1 jump to grab the bar and holding myself in a plank position (eliminate the leg swing i’ve got going on now) then will start up again on Harry’s program).

LAT PULLDOWN - 35kg 5x10 to finish (as much as possible like a chin-up)

DB ONE ARM ROW 10kg 12 reps, 15 reps. my back isn’t fond of these.

REAR DELTS - standing flies (I think they are called). like a bent over row with reverse tree hugging action. 1.25kg, 2.5kg, 3.75kg, 2.5kg, 1.25kg (each hand, 15 reps per set).

CURL TRISET (don’t ask me why) - pronated grip, supinated grip, hammer grip (2.5kg each hand, 15 reps per set, holding 1.25kg plates against hips with my elbows).

HEAVY BAG - practicing jabbing mostly. then getting in a cross once I’ve returned the jab properly.

SPIN - took it pretty easy…

squats tomorrow.

don’t know why but no matter how unmotivated i feel this chorus makes me want to MOVE

No don’t use a regular bar, very bad for the wrists as I was informed, after I used one for awhile before I went to a ‘real’ gym. It needs to be able to rotate.

That’s great news about the cigs, well done!

Great news on not smoking. I wanted to ask as it was popping around in my head, so glad you filled us in.
You are soooooo in tune with your body i cant imagine youd go back to it.

Do you “count” your skips? You must. It seems to screw up the skipping process for me once i get to a certain number. I often thought if I could do it have someone else count to say a song, then I would know i skip about x # of skips per so many minutes. I dont know.

Great to see another familiar face back logging. I was feeling a bit like the new guy.

I’ll be following along for sure.

I like the log title too, although squats everyday would have been better :slight_smile:

minimal - yes, i forgot that crappy bars upset my wrists, too.

up - yes, i count my skips though have a ‘general impression’ of 10 then think about doing 2x(2x10) and (1x10) x 2 (if that makes sense). its kinda hypnotic.

brett - thanks for stopping by.

i’ve read a few things recently that have got me thinking fairly seriously about squats…

i’m really not built for them (long femurs and short torso). powerlifting style squat (sit back) has my back fairly horizontal at depth (to keep bar over midfoot). whenever i work high or low bar back squats hard i get overuse injury of my lumbar region. this (and oly lifting) is partly why i’ve basically replaced back squats with front and (occasionally) overhead squats.

full squats have sorted out my hip and knee issues like nothing else, though. i start getting patella tracking problems when i only work partial ROM so i’m reluctant to cut the ROM short.

but… i think i need more work for my legs. something that works with (rather than against) my levers. i think it might be time for me to discover the hammer strength plate loaded machines at my gym (leg extensions in particular)… and settle into sumo deadlifts and hip thrusts for posterior chain.

i will do a pistol though one day.
and i will front squat my bodyweight.
i swears.

i’ve done a few training sessions but have been crap at logging:
i’m not really doing a program yet. just getting back into training hard since i’ve started this log.
vaguely thinking of an upper / lower alternating program with push (quad) / pull (posterior chain) split…

JUMP ROPE
100x10

SUMO DEADLIFT
25kg 1x5, 30kg 1x5, 35kg 1x5, 40kg 1x5, 45kg 1x5
50kg 1x5, 55kg 1x5, 60kg 1x5, 65kg 1x5, 70kg 1x5
75kg 1x10 (it has been a while volume for technique)

HIP THRUSTS
25kg 1x10
30kg 1x10
35kg 5x10 (3 second pause)

FRONT RAISE
4kg 15x4 (trying to get mind-muscle connection, keep constant tension, 0,3,0,3 tempo - very foreign to me)

LATERAL RAISE
4kg 15x4

SKATER SQUATS
smith machine assisted. worked assisted pistols.

SKIP
100x10

BENCH
20kg 1x10, 25kg 1x5, 30kg 1x5, 35kg 5x5, 30kg 1x5, 25kg 1x5,
20kg 5x10

SKIP
starting to think this is a bit much for my feet :frowning:
maybe i should follow the ‘no more than 750 reps of pylometrics’ advice they give to beginners…

FRONT SQUAT
20kg 1x5, 25kg 1x5, 30kg 1x5, 35kg 5x5
20kg 5x10

REST

FRONT SQUAT
20kg 1x5, 25kg 1x5, 30kg 1x5, 35kg 5x5
20kg 5x10

I used a belt for the first time ever for the 35kg. Useful. Felt more solid.
I am taking more of a breath in than I realized but the belt is very useful indeed for feedback.
I’ll have to get one…

LEG EXTENSION
played around

chin ups tomorrow.

LAT PULLDOWN - 14kg 1x10, 21kg 1x10, 28kg 1x10, 35kg 1x10

CHIN UPS 9x1. had two attempts at the last single but couldn’t get it.

LAT PULLDOWN - 35kg 5x10 to finish.

played around at inverted rows on the smith machine and some dumbbell rows. some heavy bag. done.

deads tomorrow. yay.

ALEXUS :smiley:

EYEAH :smiley: :smiley:

You’ve inspired me to buy a jump rope…now I just need someone to inspire me to actually jump over it.