Squat Technique

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
also, i came back from a 1-week hiatus a few weeks ago. i kept my leg workout almost identical except i added box squats. and instead of doing 3 sets of 20 on the leg press i do 1 set which is 10 reps then i drop the weight and do another 10 reps. i also emphasized going slower on the leg ext’s.

now, after that revised workout i got the most intense leg DOMS ive ever gotten. hell most severe doms ive gotten for ANY muscle group. the only dramatic change was adding box squats. i changed the leg-press up but i added LESS work to it. i will also add that the following week, doing the same workout i got zero DOMS. so im actually kind of perplexed.

my point is, how would i get DOMS that bad if these were ineffective? its not the doms like oh, this is a new stimulus so youll feel something. no, this was like tapping into unused resources, like my legs got beat with a meathammer then used for a soccer ball in brazil.
[/quote]

Easy. You said yourself you took one week off. Anytime I take a week off and then go and do almost the same workout as before (meaning I don’t purposelly ‘take it easy’) I get crazy DOMS. It’s nothing miraculous. It also explains how you didn’t get DOMS after the second workout. I don’t get as sore if I workout continuously. I’d bet the majority of lifters are the same.

so what about those bodybuilders who dont even squat? i wonder how they got big legs.

if you really think squatting atg is the only way to get quad size you need to log off for a while and stop getting spoon fed by this site.

i do it about the same depth as the guy in the first video. are you saying i wont gain quad size from that? keep in mind i do them at the beginning of my workout because i start my workouts with heavier weights and progess to lighter ones. the intent is to get the hardnened muscle look but also incorporate basic hypertrophy principles. so i start heavy, do moderate reps, then do my pump. its been working so far.

also, i came back from a 1-week hiatus a few weeks ago. i kept my leg workout almost identical except i added box squats. and instead of doing 3 sets of 20 on the leg press i do 1 set which is 10 reps then i drop the weight and do another 10 reps. i also emphasized going slower on the leg ext’s.

now, after that revised workout i got the most intense leg DOMS ive ever gotten. hell most severe doms ive gotten for ANY muscle group. the only dramatic change was adding box squats. i changed the leg-press up but i added LESS work to it. i will also add that the following week, doing the same workout i got zero DOMS. so im actually kind of perplexed.

my point is, how would i get DOMS that bad if these were ineffective? its not the doms like oh, this is a new stimulus so youll feel something. no, this was like tapping into unused resources, like my legs got beat with a meathammer then used for a soccer ball in brazil.

to anyone calling me a pussy, you can suck my dick. i train my fucking ass off. i bet i train harder than anyone one of you fucks. i dont care if the weight falls, ive dropped weight off my back before. ive got stuck, its part of the game. you really think the reason i dont do it is because im afraid? youre a fucking idiot.[/quote]

I bet you if you asked those big bodybuilders, they sqautted at one time in their bodybuilding career, probably for a large part of their weightlifting lives. you’re taking info out of context, you need to look at the big picture.

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

Easy. You said yourself you took one week off. Anytime I take a week off and then go and do almost the same workout as before (meaning I don’t purposelly ‘take it easy’) I get crazy DOMS. It’s nothing miraculous. It also explains how you didn’t get DOMS after the second workout. I don’t get as sore if I workout continuously. I’d bet the majority of lifters are the same.

[/quote]

a couple problems with that theory of yours.

first, i get doms in everyworkout. it doesnt matter if ive been training 6 months straight or not, 9/10 im gonna wake up with soreness the next day.

i havent trained my shoulders directly in a month. theyve still gotten indirect work, even gotten doms from it, but i i recently did a shoulder work out and, nothing the next day.

i trained my hip flexors on that chick-machine for the first time ever. yea i got a little sore, but it wasnt anything to write home about. thats a muscle a never trained directly. then you have that other guy who just made a thread saying he didnt ever train his and how sore he got. so what that tells us is it isnt neseceraly the infrequency of training combined with with the shock of sudden stress but more to do with extreme stress.

you really think a week, which equates to ONE session per part reaaaaaaally had that big of an impact? im sorry to say but if you think thats the explanation you should stop talking about bodybuilding and play with sand or something.

MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

first, i get doms in everyworkout. it doesnt matter if ive been training 6 months straight or not, 9/10 im gonna wake up with soreness the next day.

i havent trained my shoulders directly in a month. theyve still gotten indirect work, even gotten doms from it, but i i recently did a shoulder work out and, nothing the next day.

i trained my hip flexors on that chick-machine for the first time ever. yea i got a little sore, but it wasnt anything to write home about. thats a muscle a never trained directly. then you have that other guy who just made a thread saying he didnt ever train his and how sore he got. so what that tells us is it isnt neseceraly the infrequency of training combined with with the shock of sudden stress but more to do with extreme stress.

you really think a week, which equates to ONE session per part reaaaaaaally had that big of an impact? im sorry to say but if you think thats the explanation you should stop talking about bodybuilding and play with sand or something.[/quote]

funny that you have no answer to my last post. guess i’m right.

i wanted to share this too.

its the very first part, watch the 2 videos.

so to everyone acting like 1 inch doesnt make a difference…well guess what; apparently it does.[/quote]

I’m just curious, what bar position are you using? If you’re box squatting I’d presume low-bar.

I swear this should be a sticky…

Squat RX Series:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Squat+RX&search_type=&aq=f

[quote]skohcl wrote:
I swear this should be a sticky…

Squat RX Series:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Squat+RX&search_type=&aq=f

[/quote]

so many great vids…so little time =/

MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

you really think a week, which equates to ONE session per part reaaaaaaally had that big of an impact? im sorry to say but if you think thats the explanation you should stop talking about bodybuilding and play with sand or something.[/quote]

You really are one of the biggest dicks this site has seen in a long time. Not to mention one of the most arrogant/ignorant. It’s really laughable how someone your size whose only been lifting a short while can continuously disregard what others say, especially when some of those people have been doing this longer/have more experience than you. I’m not referring to myself but based off of your other posts.

Do you do this shit in other areas of your life?

There’s nothing “wrong” with what I wrote. In fact, I agree with what you replied with, minus the last sentence where you tell me to play in the sandbox.

I NEVER get doms in my shoulders. I could drop set the fuck out of that group and I get nothing. I’ve had DOMS in my shoulders maybe 3 times, I couldn’t ever pinpoint why it happened. Chest, on the other hand, forget about it. That group will be incredibly sore after a workout, ESPECIALLY if I skip a week. And yes, even if it’s just ‘one’ workout. That’s me, and i’d be willing to bet i’m not the only one, because i’m not ‘special’ in terms of recovery, or lack thereof. So no, just because you can do a shoulder workout (which last time I checked, had nothing to do with the legs) and not get sore has no impact on whether or not my post was correct. I’m not the only person to ever post regarding why they don’t get sore after training a particular group yet always get sore after training another.

You literally say you were ‘perplexed’ about why you didn’t get DOMS, yet when someone offers a rationale explanation you pull your usual “blah blah i’m 195lb I know what i’m talking about i’ve been doing this long enough I don’t need others to tell me their experiences because i’m kick-ass and I train ballz-2-the-wall and therefore I don’t need others to tell me what’s going on when I train” attitude.

Good luck with this, and anything else you attempt in life, when you consistently blow off everyone else’s point of view as some sort of “sandbox” mentality.

sorry i came off as a dick. but everyone on this site is a dick. i stated a different opinion about traning legs, i said its not absolutely nesecary to pick quarters off the ground with your ass but then all these mindless tools want to jump in on it, and be assholes themselves. so when random people on the internet start saying im a pussy cause i dont sit on my ankles when they have no idea how i train, i start getting a little peeved.

as i mentioned your theory doesnt make sense. i already thought it over myself. and missing one week is the same as missing only 1 session because i only train 1 part a day. i thought i gave a clear explanation on the severity of it but i guess it wasnt good enough? maybe thats what happened but i think there has to be a different reason because that just doesnt add up to me.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i wanted to share this too.

its the very first part, watch the 2 videos.

so to everyone acting like 1 inch doesnt make a difference…well guess what; apparently it does.

I’m just curious, what bar position are you using? If you’re box squatting I’d presume low-bar.[/quote]

its higher than my shoulders? i dont know what high-bar or low-bar is. i use the only bar position i know.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

you really think a week, which equates to ONE session per part reaaaaaaally had that big of an impact? im sorry to say but if you think thats the explanation you should stop talking about bodybuilding and play with sand or something.

funny that you have no answer to my last post. guess i’m right.[/quote]

your last post wasnt a question. i dont see your point either. i squat, they squat. yea…i guess you were right.

so what about those bodybuilders who dont even squat? i wonder how they got big legs.
[/quote]

They used other foundational leg exercises (leg press, hack squats, etc…) to build their size. But, isn’t this thread about “squat technique”?

Besides, even with those other lifts, most big guys will use a full ROM with them. Sure, they will most likely occasionally load up the rack with some obscene amount of weight and do supramaximal overload sets with a partial ROM. But the majority of their training sessions will involve a full ROM.

Which “first video”? The one in the article, or the one that I posted? If it’s the one that I posted, then you’re fine. He’s going to at least parallel.

It’s fairly usual to get DOM the first time you do a new exercise. How much did you push the progression the second time around?

There are lots of other variables that could account for your getting DOMS one week and not the next. It could be nutrition, rest, activity throughout the week, etc…

Who said they were ineffective? All I said is that they are a more posterior chain dominant exercise than a more upright BB’ing squat. But, hey maybe you’re naturally quad dominant and they work well for you.

High bar is where the bar is held on top of the upper traps (the way that most people are taught to position the bar).

The low bar position is where the bar is held across the rear delts (the way that most powerlifters hold the bar, not very common to see in commercial gyms).

im close to example 1 than 2. i dont know if i have the shouler flexibility to put the bar across my delts, im sure that takes a lot of practice to perform successfully.

i increased the weight i used from one session to the next by 35 pounds -1 rep. this could be that i was using a different bench for more of the sets the first time around, about 1-2 inches shorter. but i switched to a higher one because i was noticing that i had to scooch forward to get back up.

heres what it says in my log book:

1st week
225x5/255x6/+1-1.5 inch 275x6/ 275x4/ 255x7

2nd week
225x5/275x8/295x8/315x5/315x4

i think i probaly should have kept going for at least another set on my 2nd week now that i look at it.

also bear in mind the 2nd week was done entirely with the +1-1.5 inch i mentioned from the week prior.

but as i mentioned i dont ONLY do box squats.

and what box squats have to do with regular squats is that someone brought it up saying “what do you think the pros did, i bet they squatted”.

i said, no shit, i squat too what is your point?

i dont know, maybe you guys think im brand new to this? maybe you guys are just dumb?
but im more than aware of what im doing. im aware of my immobility issues and im aware of how to train around them. im doing box squats because i can use a heavier weight with them to give a more solid look and appeal to my quads. i use a leg press and ext to build them up and add seperation.

i also know that my legs arent going to blow up over night. im 6 ft tall, legs arent my strong suit and ive yet to see anyone on here that tall with legs that are astoundingly big. Gerdy is my height, Dylanj is my height they both have good builds but you wouldnt say “hey thems some big legs”. wasnt Arnold 6 feet too? again he isnt renound for legs. errr im not even sure where im going with this. i guess what i want to say is that im very scrupulous about my legs because i want them to be bigger. my back thickness, my shoulders, my traps, my forearms, i dont worry so much because they do well naturally. my back width, my quad and my upper arm size, also calves, are where i focus more attention. point being that ive im aware i need to spend more detail i wouldnt go out of my way to impair progress with something that is ineffective.

im close to example 1 than 2. i dont know if i have the shouler flexibility to put the bar across my delts, im sure that takes a lot of practice to perform successfully.

i increased the weight i used from one session to the next by 35 pounds -1 rep. this could be that i was using a different bench for more of the sets the first time around, about 1-2 inches shorter. but i switched to a higher one because i was noticing that i had to scooch forward to get back up.

heres what it says in my log book:

1st week
225x5/255x6/+1-1.5 inch 275x6/ 275x4/ 255x7

2nd week
225x5/275x8/295x8/315x5/315x4

i think i probaly should have kept going for at least another set on my 2nd week now that i look at it.

also bear in mind the 2nd week was done entirely with the +1-1.5 inch i mentioned from the week prior.

but as i mentioned i dont ONLY do box squats.

and what box squats have to do with regular squats is that someone brought it up saying “what do you think the pros did, i bet they squatted”.

i said, no shit, i squat too what is your point?

i dont know, maybe you guys think im brand new to this? maybe you guys are just dumb?
but im more than aware of what im doing. im aware of my immobility issues and im aware of how to train around them. im doing box squats because i can use a heavier weight with them to give a more solid look and appeal to my quads. i use a leg press and ext to build them up and add seperation.

i also know that my legs arent going to blow up over night. im 6 ft tall, legs arent my strong suit and ive yet to see anyone on here that tall with legs that are astoundingly big. Gerdy is my height, Dylanj is my height they both have good builds but you wouldnt say “hey thems some big legs”. wasnt Arnold 6 feet too? again he isnt renound for legs. errr im not even sure where im going with this. i guess what i want to say is that im very scrupulous about my legs because i want them to be bigger. my back thickness, my shoulders, my traps, my forearms, i dont worry so much because they do well naturally. my back width, my quad and my upper arm size, also calves, are where i focus more attention. point being that ive im aware i need to spend more detail i wouldnt go out of my way to impair progress with something that is ineffective. [/quote]

First off, everyone always can learn something, but I don’t think you need to be teaching squat technique if you don’t know the difference between high and low bar squats.

Second, wouldn’t you rather address your immobility issues than train around them? You are now admitting to compromises in your workouts.

I would also argue the extensions and presses to add separation thing, but thats another thread.

because its not like i cant get that low if need to minus the weight. and if i can make progess a different way than why not do that?

your point view to me seems like if there was a road covered by boulders and another street next to it that took you to the same place you would rather invest time in clearing the debris rather than going the other road.

you dont think leg presses and exts add size and seperation? i hope thats not what youre saying because the number of people who know their shit around here seems to be decreasing and id hate to toss you into the sandbox along with the others.

If you can get that low, you shouldn’t have to use substantially less weight unless you’ve been going higher than you think or you’re having form issues. Considering that this is the bodybuilding section, I fail to see why you’re stressing the actual load on the bar over the training effect.

Personally I’m not saying you can’t mostly use box squats (although they’re not really considered much of a quad exercise unless you’re doing them weird). I just think there’s something to be said for including full squats somewhere in your program to at least maintain or increase hip mobility.

because its not like i cant get that low if need to minus the weight. and if i can make progess a different way than why not do that?

your point view to me seems like if there was a road covered by boulders and another street next to it that took you to the same place you would rather invest time in clearing the debris rather than going the other road.

you dont think leg presses and exts add size and seperation? i hope thats not what youre saying because the number of people who know their shit around here seems to be decreasing and id hate to toss you into the sandbox along with the others.[/quote]

When the road with rocks in the way is the shorter, smarter direction, yes it can be worth it.

I was really saying separation is more a combination of muscle size and your leanness (the parts you can control). A muscle can only contract and relax, your pecs don’t know the difference between a HS machine and a bench if load on them is the same. But like I said, that’s another thread.

its higher than my shoulders? i dont know what high-bar or low-bar is. i use the only bar position i know.[/quote]

LMFAO maybe you should listen more and talk less. Seriously if you haven’t yet learned the difference between a high and low bar positioning don’t you think there could be a few other things that you havn’t learned.

Do you think maybe all the dicks on this site are saying the same thing becuase they just might know one or two more things about squatting than you?