T Nation

Squat Technique

Heyy, can some teach me what is the proper technique for squat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYojAPYILEo&NR=1

fuck going that low.

Go read the book Starting Strength.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
fuck going that low.[/quote]

why?

cos he likes the big weights he can quarter squat?

Those were sniff beautiful…Thats how you squat. Too low for ya there Live? Are you one of those Cal Poly billy badasses with colossal 18’ quads that go to the Gold’s in my area and squat 5 plates for 1/64 reps.

no, im one of those johnny asskickers who has bad hips and squats 3 plates on a parralel box.

im also not one of you internet fags who thinks you have no other option but to squat rediculously low. last time i checked this was bodybuilding and since when did squating that low make a shit difference in quad size?

maybe one day youll learn that not everyone is built the same and not everyone can use the same ROM or even needs to.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
fuck going that low.

why?[/quote]

Yeah, wow. I’ve seen lower, too.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
no, im one of those johnny asskickers who has bad hips and squats 3 plates on a parralel box.

im also not one of you internet fags who thinks you have no other option but to squat rediculously low. last time i checked this was bodybuilding and since when did squating that low make a shit difference in quad size?

maybe one day youll learn that not everyone is built the same and not everyone can use the same ROM or even needs to. [/quote]

Amen, brother. If it makes you grow, who cares how low you go?

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
no, im one of those johnny asskickers who has bad hips and squats 3 plates on a parralel box.

im also not one of you internet fags who thinks you have no other option but to squat rediculously low. last time i checked this was bodybuilding and since when did squating that low make a shit difference in quad size?

maybe one day youll learn that not everyone is built the same and not everyone can use the same ROM or even needs to.

Amen, brother. If it makes you grow, who cares how low you go?

[/quote]

It’s better for your knees.

Those squats were awful purty.

those were too low? WTF?

Those squats were great!,
Like coach Rippetoe says, A squat is where you lower yourself so that the top of the thigh breaks the the line of parallel with the top of the knee.
You can load the bar up as heavy as you want and go to “90 degrees” or watever but its not a squat if the hips don’t go below the top of the knee.
If you don’t go low, you dont hit the glutes to the same extent and also the upper thigh works harder when you go low.

Those were perfect bb squats as far as I’m concerned. I don’t really care about the opinion of some ~190-200 pound guy who thinks he’s the moses of bodybuilding after training for 2 years or what-have-you.

You talk back to me after one or two decades of heavy squatting and we’ll see whose knees still work and who (still)has the bigger quads.

This is what happens when you don’t squat below parallel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF85l-_4OI4

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Those were perfect bb squats as far as I’m concerned. I don’t really care about the opinion of some ~190-200 pound guy who thinks he’s the moses of bodybuilding after training for 2 years or what-have-you.

You talk back to me after one or two decades of heavy squatting and we’ll see whose knees still work and who (still)has the bigger quads.

[/quote]

As far as I’m concerned, not going A2G is caused by one or two things.

1.) Laziness. It’s an extra half-fucking foot. Get over it.

2.) Pussiness… because you can’t use as much weight when you do them.

And I definitely wouldn’t talk to 781 like that… he use to have a mohawk.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Those were perfect bb squats as far as I’m concerned. I don’t really care about the opinion of some ~190-200 pound guy who thinks he’s the moses of bodybuilding after training for 2 years or what-have-you.

You talk back to me after one or two decades of heavy squatting and we’ll see whose knees still work and who (still)has the bigger quads.

As far as I’m concerned, not going A2G is caused by one or two things.

1.) Laziness. It’s an extra half-fucking foot. Get over it.

2.) Pussiness… because you can’t use as much weight when you do them.

And I definitely wouldn’t talk to 781 like that… he use to have a mohawk.[/quote]

I’ll be fair and add:

3.) Very narrow foot-stance with knees out directly in front of you (which is idiotic anyway, but hey, whatever floats your boat. One could get up to 500-700 that way, sure, but you won’t have the quads to show for it, nor will your knees like you all that much.)

4.) Crappy mobility, which is imo more of a stance thing for most than actual lack of mobility… But if mobility really is an issue, then start working on it… (I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone where this was the actual case, though. Mostly, they just squatted with a crappy stance/form and/or had weak low back/abs)

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

im also not one of you internet fags who thinks you have no other option but to squat rediculously low. last time i checked this was bodybuilding and since when did squating that low make a shit difference in quad size?

[/quote]

strange 781, i can honestly say i have only heard someone training for powerlifting tout squatting to parallel over squating A2G if A2G can be managed, you could most likely fix the hip problem if you worked on your mobility and flexibility of your hips. Here’s a link to a mobility routine that i think is pretty good, so you don’t have the excuse of having to go out and buy magnificent mobility or anything.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html

just scroll down to the bottom, there you go. no excuses anymore

im sure if i spent a ton of time working on hip and ankle mobility i could make some slight improvements.

problem is it takes time, you dont just cure your joint problems over night.

second thing, theres nothing significantly better in regards to size about squatting that low versus squatting parallel or an inch-2 above. personally i probaly couldnt do that with much over 135. does it make sense to do an exercise for a muscle as large as legs with a weight i dont even use for warmups on other exercises?

if you can squat that low then good for you, im being serious. i cant do pullovers because of a shoulder problem. does that mean i have to do them anyway?

itd just take so long to improve my lift at that depth before it would EVER affect my leg size…and last time i checked the point was size, not impressing people on the internet with depth.

oh, and the guy with a dragon in his avatar called me a pussy…lol