Squat check please.

Besides commenting on my Vibrams, can any of you comment on my squat form?

This was a warm up set and I can do more, I’m just starting to get back into powerlifting after 5+ (not really sure how long) years of not lifting any weight. Hence the large belly. :slight_smile:

Have you watched the EFS- So you think you can Squat series?
It’s a must view IMHO, and then you can see some of the areas they focus on such as Upper back tightness, etc.

When you unrack and get in the position to squat you are ‘dancing’ with the bar. You have posterior pelvic tilt in the bottom of the squat (your lower back rounds). You lose tension for depth. Could be inflexible hamstrings/glutes and/or weak lower back (for this weight) or just a technical issue.

Try shifting you upper body a little bit more forward while pushing your knees out more on the descent, see if this helps.

Focus on fixing this ‘problem’ before you put more weight on the bar, when you get it right the weight you have on the bar will explode up.

[quote]huffer wrote:
Have you watched the EFS- So you think you can Squat series?
It’s a must view IMHO, and then you can see some of the areas they focus on such as Upper back tightness, etc.
[/quote]

Just finished watching the three videos I found on here. A LOT of helpful tips. (I’m zooming through the forum on any squat related posts for more info). I know I need to tighten my core and back, that’s why I started with the lighter weight. I did go up to 315 but, with high box squat.

Thanks.

[quote]Onemike wrote:
When you unrack and get in the position to squat you are ‘dancing’ with the bar. You have posterior pelvic tilt in the bottom of the squat (your lower back rounds). You lose tension for depth. Could be inflexible hamstrings/glutes and/or weak lower back (for this weight) or just a technical issue.

Try shifting you upper body a little bit more forward while pushing your knees out more on the descent, see if this helps.

Focus on fixing this ‘problem’ before you put more weight on the bar, when you get it right the weight you have on the bar will explode up. [/quote]

I think the ‘dancing’ is just getting the manta ray “settled” a little better. I’ll check it again next time. Watching the "so you think you can squat showed me that big time. I’ll definitely work on it.

Shifting forward, meaning I need to lean forward a little more? Not so erect?

That’s why I posted here, I need to fix things before I hurt myself with more weight.

Thanks for your input.

Ok I didn’t see the mantaray, sorry for that. I would say stop using it and only use for ‘confusion’ training When Your normal squat is good, because I guess you want to squat low bar. What i mean by Shifting forward is that it should begin from the start of the descent and be kind of constant When you lower. I think point 5 and the pictures in this article show What I mean IOL Strength and Conditioning » Deadlift Stud, Squatting Dud

[quote]Onemike wrote:
Ok I didn’t see the mantaray, sorry for that. I would say stop using it and only use for ‘confusion’ training When Your normal squat is good, because I guess you want to squat low bar. What i mean by Shifting forward is that it should begin from the start of the descent and be kind of constant When you lower. I think point 5 and the pictures in this article show What I mean IOL Strength and Conditioning » Deadlift Stud, Squatting Dud

[/quote]

Well, I use the manta ray so I can stand more erect rather than stooping over to off set the bar. With only one-arm, I can’t (don’t feel comfortable) squatting more than 135lbs. Plus, I’m not sure it’s safe with the amount I need to lean forward. So I use the manta ray to help keep the bar on my back and I can increase the load.

I’ll check the site out, I appreciate the tips.

Thanks.

It looks like you’re using that little blue plastic squat pad thingy. Those things suck.

In addition to the back tightness, it really looks like you have some abductor flexibility issues. Trying to do the following Cossack squat progression (with obvious adjustments). They were very helpful for me.

Also, seeing as you can only do high bar squats, I think a pair of weightlifting shoes would be a wise investment.

[quote]mwhities wrote:

[quote]Onemike wrote:

[/quote]

Well, I use the manta ray so I can stand more erect rather than stooping over to off set the bar. With only one-arm, I can’t (don’t feel comfortable) squatting more than 135lbs. Plus, I’m not sure it’s safe with the amount I need to lean forward. So I use the manta ray to help keep the bar on my back and I can increase the load.

I’ll check the site out, I appreciate the tips.

Thanks.[/quote]

Sorry dude, I really didn’t see that you only have one arm, shame on me. The mantaray makes your squat pretty high bar and this is the best option for you as you tell. With the high bar squat your body should indeed stay more erect and the info I gave earlier doesn’t apply, except for the flexibility things. Work on hamstring & glute flexibility while getting your quads and lower back stronger.

Make sure your first movement is pushing your hips back, and keep moving them back, instead of dropping straight down.

Also a note on the cossack squats, take the foot your not squatting on, and point your toe into the air and try to rotate it as far back as you can, this will open up your hips quite nicely.

Make sure your first movement is pushing your hips back, and keep moving them back, instead of dropping straight down.

Also a note on the cossack squats, take the foot your not squatting on, and point your toe into the air and try to rotate it as far back as you can, this will open up your hips quite nicely.