SottoPelle (Testosterone Pellets)

I’m 52, and I’ve been on HRT for several years. On average, I inject 300 mg T Cyp (with one Arimidex) per week, followed by two Novarel (HCG) shots on the fifth and sixth day. I have no complaints about the protocol.

My doctor is an old school lifter who specializes in HRT and other anti-aging treatments. When he mentioned testosterone pellets, I was not interested. I assumed that the cost benefit for him is higher – hence the recommendation – and that the treatment was “stone age,” or so I had read some time ago.

I have just finished reading Gino Tutera’s book on the subject. I then turned to this forum and was surprised that I could not find the trademark for these pellets “SottePelle” in the T-Nation database.

The book offered some pellet points of interest.

1. There is no T spike in blood levels.

2. The increase of blood flow during exercise releases more T at that moment, which would seem to be a post-workout aid.

3. The incision is not stone age. The pellets are the size of a grain of rice, and the procedure is nothing like the melodramatic description I read on the forum.

Even these points left me disinterested. But my doctor added that the percentage of consequent FREE T is higher with pellets than injection. That got my attention.

I fully understand that T injections are the golden mean of T delivery, and I want nothing to do with orals, gels, creams, or patches. I told my doctor in the past that I prefer injections because I can more precisely control my own timing and dosages. But I pursue this matter hoping to keep an open mind.

If Bill Roberts still haunts the forum, or deigns to honor an aging lifter with a reply, I’d greatly value his thoughts on pellets as a means to increase free T in the blood over injections.

Beyond that, I look for any thoughts from someone who once injected and switched to T pellets.

[quote]Plowman wrote:
I’m 52, and I’ve been on HRT for several years. On average, I inject 300 mg T Cyp (with one Arimidex) per week, followed by two Novarel (HCG) shots on the fifth and sixth day. I have no complaints about the protocol.

My doctor is an old school lifter who specializes in HRT and other anti-aging treatments. When he mentioned testosterone pellets, I was not interested. I assumed that the cost benefit for him is higher – hence the recommendation – and that the treatment was “stone age,” or so I had read some time ago.

I have just finished reading Gino Tutera’s book on the subject. I then turned to this forum and was surprised that I could not find the trademark for these pellets “SottePelle” in the T-Nation database.

The book offered some pellet points of interest.

1. There is no T spike in blood levels.

2. The increase of blood flow during exercise releases more T at that moment, which would seem to be a post-workout aid.

3. The incision is not stone age. The pellets are the size of a grain of rice, and the procedure is nothing like the melodramatic description I read on the forum.

Even these points left me disinterested. But my doctor added that the percentage of consequent FREE T is higher with pellets than injection. That got my attention.

I fully understand that T injections are the golden mean of T delivery, and I want nothing to do with orals, gels, creams, or patches. I told my doctor in the past that I prefer injections because I can more precisely control my own timing and dosages. But I pursue this matter hoping to keep an open mind.

If Bill Roberts still haunts the forum, or deigns to honor an aging lifter with a reply, I’d greatly value his thoughts on pellets as a means to increase free T in the blood over injections.

Beyond that, I look for any thoughts from someone who once injected and switched to T pellets.

[/quote]

I have used T pellets for almost 2 years. I have never injected. Initially, I was hesitant to opt for the pellets because Crisler decied them as “stone age” and many assume it is gospel. Personally, I have never encountered any of the negatives he offers up.

Although I have never seen him admit it, Crisler has a conflict of interest when it comes to T pellets. Part of his practice, and therefore income, consists of working with patient’s local doctors in distant cities. That works
with injections, creams, gels, etc., but not with pellets.

T-pellets are not a panacea but they do offer all the benefits you mentioned in addition to convenience. The proceedure is short and simple. It works for some, perhaps not all.

Injections done every week or longer do create T levels spikes that can drive up E and SHBG. That reduces %FT. The fix is more frequent injections. Some twice a week, some E3D and some EOD. This can make levels quite steady.

One could argue that working a muscle with a T ester injected would create an increased rate of T release.

T levels with pellets do decline over their useful life until replaced. With frequent injections, one can fine tune anastrozole dosing and E2 levels. With dropping T levels from pellets, ones anastrozole needs will also be changing and the dose cannot remain correct.

Replacement is surgery and more billing income for the doctor.

[quote]KSman wrote:
Injections done every week or longer do create T levels spikes that can drive up E and SHBG. That reduces %FT. The fix is more frequent injections. Some twice a week, some E3D and some EOD. This can make levels quite steady.

One could argue that working a muscle with a T ester injected would create an increased rate of T release.

T levels with pellets do decline over their useful life until replaced. With frequent injections, one can fine tune anastrozole dosing and E2 levels. With dropping T levels from pellets, ones anastrozole needs will also be changing and the dose cannot remain correct.

Replacement is surgery and more billing income for the doctor.[/quote]

As usual, you are correct on both points. Pellets will cost more due to the semi-annual implantation proceedure. Some insurance companies will cover the cost of the pellets.

I have experienced the dropping T levels as replacement approaches and have adjusted Adex accordingly. You develop somewhat of a feel for it over time. Some art, some science.

I have never heard of anyone who has experienced both protocols. Their prospective would be of great interest to me.

I don’t believe the reason that Dr. Crisler favors TD/injections over implants is due to the fact that he won’t see a profit from it. I think he would rather replicate as close to the way a youthful male’s hormones work and pellet implants don’t even come close.

I’m a 52 yr old male and had the pellets inserted twice. I’m replying to warn you about using the pellets. I had them inserted for a second time and developed a staph infection within 36 hours. It abscess’d within 48 hours. I was hospitalized for 4 days, had surgery and spent the next 2 months with home health care every other day and going to a wound care clinic weekly. Very painful.

After $12,000 (after insurance) in medical bills and a hole in my hip, Dr. Tutera’s response was “infections are always a possibility”.

I have since discovered that the pellets are made in a compound pharmacy and there is no way to make the pellets sterile.

After the way Sottopelle treated me, buyer beware. Look for oral version and stay away from the needle. JMHO.

Oral TRT does not exist.

How did you come to this? “I have since discovered that the pellets are made in a compound pharmacy and there is no way to make the pellets sterile.”

“I inject 300 mg T Cyp (with one Arimidex) per week”

I too use 300 mg T Cyp per week. I was at .5 Arimidex per week but need to double that given my E2 number at nearly double the sweet spot 22.

My question is - does 1 mg of Arimidex do the job and put you squarely at 22 E2 ?

Thanks

[quote]KSman wrote:
Oral TRT does not exist.

How did you come to this? “I have since discovered that the pellets are made in a compound pharmacy and there is no way to make the pellets sterile.”[/quote]

Sottopelle offers an oral gel cap for it’s bio-identical hormone replacement.

I spoke with two different personal injury attorneys and a hormone replacement therapist. In fact, the HRT stated that they did not offer the pellets for just that reason. They can’t guarantee they are sterile.

[quote]HiredGun wrote:

My question is - does 1 mg of Arimidex do the job and put you squarely at 22 E2 ?

Thanks[/quote]

For normal responders:

It is close enough for a first shot, then the labs can drive the calculation to put it on target.

One can scale the first dose 1.0mg by body weight relative to 160 pounds, so a 200 pounder could start with 1.25mg/week. But start at 1.0mg/week and if not an over-responder, then go to 1.25.

[quote]KSman wrote:
[
For normal responders:

It is close enough for a first shot, then the labs can drive the calculation to put it on target.

One can scale the first dose 1.0mg by body weight relative to 160 pounds, so a 200 pounder could start with 1.25mg/week. But start at 1.0mg/week and if not an over-responder, then go to 1.25.

[/quote]

Thanks!

That is what I will do, thought I read 1.0 mg per 100 mg T - since I use 300 mg T I was thinking I needed 3.0 mg Arimidex.

for the record,I had like 12 put in and did not like it at all…could feel them,the spike and drop off
is great as Ksman said,I would not recommend them,I went right back to shots…