Some Input on a Schedule

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Ignoranceisblis wrote:
The tricky thing is that during my crossfit sessions we almost always have a strength routine of 5 sets of 2-5 MAX effort lifts…in the past 4 months we’ve done front squat, overhead squad, back squat, deadlift, push press, snatch, and clean and jerks.[/quote]
This is one of the main gripes against Crossfit - a lack of apparent consistency in the programming which makes it difficult to plan short- to mid-term training cycles.

[quote]Current Stats:
6’3 210 10% BF

Squat: 315
Deadlift: 405
Benchpress: 255 (haven’t done it in months)[/quote]
What’s your current overhead press or push press, front squat, and overhead squat?

[quote]Target Stats:
220 10% BF

Squat: 400
Deadlift: 500
Bench: 300[/quote]
So you’re looking to become much stronger and gain muscle without adding bodyfat, while using a less-than-ideal training plan. O…kay. It sounds like you’re already pretty lean, so that’s at least a good place to be starting from.

The quickest way to reach your goals is going to be to eat more than you do right now while training with a plan designed 100% for building size and strength. Unfortunately, it seems like we’re only going to be working on 50% of that.

When you say “conditioning”, do you mean in terms of bodyfat, like “a shredded bodybuilder is in great condition”, or in terms of endurance, like “The champ still has knockout power in the 10th round because he’s in great condition”?

In any case, if you insist on maintaining your current “conditioning” while training for size and strength, you’re only adding another distraction/variable. “Prioritizing” means not having more than one thing as your main focus.

I like your general idea of “supplementing” the occasionally-heavy Crossfit stuff with some consistently-heavy work. Is there anyway to get even a month-long heads up for what the CF gym will have you doing?

You might want to read up on Christian Thibaudeau’s HFSW (high frequency strength work) info. That’s, basically, doing lower volume/low-moderate intensity work on a few basic lifts every session. You might be able to figure out how to arrange that with your CF sessions. Otherwise, either take a look at this Dan John plan (maybe consider cutting back on the “extra work” each session):

Or read up on Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 twice a week template.[/quote]

Thanks for the input.

My overhead press is probably 195 (I’m very new to the excrcise and am still refining my technique). Front squat is around 225, and my overhead squat is atrocious due to very tight shoulders (probably no more than 95). I’m working on my shoulder flexibility a lot to try and fix this.

I understand my goals are rather strange. I love the conditioning that I’ve gotten from crossfit and how great I look and feel. I may bulk in the future to really push strength, but right now I’m not even close to plateauing. I’ve been working a lot on mobility and have found that I’m getting a lot of extra “strength” just by fixing up these weaknesses. My deads and squats are going up every time I test them (about once a month). I think in the next 4 months or so my flexibility and improved technique, combined with all the heavier strength stuff in the natural programing, will probably give me 10%+ gains across the board. When I get to the point where I really think my strength has plataued, I’ll really look at bulking for a couple months.

By conditioning I’m referring to my ability to move my body weight and medium/light weight through space quickly for 10-20 minute periods of max effort. Getting shredded by starving yourself for a few weeks doesn’t really fit into my perception of conditioning.

I realize I’m going for the jack of all trade master of none route here. I’m under no illusions, I’m ready to work hard and be patient. My CF gym puts a lot more emphasis on heavy lifting than most, which is great, but I still realize there’s a gap there. I’m trying to bridge this gap as best as I can with my own work on the side.