Snatch Form

Hi folks,
I’m new here and this is my first post.
I live in Portugal and I started Oly Lifting about 10 months ago. I tried to focus on technique but it’s been very hard to progress because I don’t have a coach. Olympic Weightlifting in Portugal is almost absent.
So I sign up here to have your feedback.
Here’s my PR snatch (155lbs power snatch. I’m struggling with full squat snatch)… I’ll be posting my C&J video by the end of the week.

i notice that your hips shoot up early (which takes your glues out of the equation).

your speed is good :slight_smile:

but the lift can go slow from the floor until the bar gets just past your knees…

it is at that point that your hip drive can accelerate the bar greatly.

still… heaps better than most lifters i see… isn’t oly lifting so very much fun? i miss it SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much
(cries)

Nice, if you want big snatch you will need to do more of full snatch. Good snatch tecnique cant be bild overnight, it would be good for you to post every month your progress in technique and weights.

Thanks guys,

I’m currently training my form. by the end of the training session I do lots of low weight volume. This video is one of those many sets with plywood technique plates.

And by the way… here’s my C&J…

On your jerk, you’re moving way too slow!! The dip/drive transition should be much faster. And unless you are power jerking for a very specific reason, teach yourself to split jerk. Much more stable, especially with your levers!! Also, stay tighter in the trunk when you clean, your elbows touched and that’s a no-no.

Noticing a few things on your C/J. Your arms start to bend very early, this is not good. They need to stay straight and relaxed until after the triple extension. 2nd is what olylifter106 said, your “jerk” is more of a “push press”. Your knees also go into valgus during the dip which means i think that you need to strengthen them as well.

The jerk should be a drive, and then you should already be underneath the bar to receive it, not press it out. Move under the bar faster.

I’m actually pretty impressed with your power snatch form for a self-taught guy. Pretty good all-around. As noted, you can start slower if you want–this is a borderline personal choice, however the absolute KEY is that the speed should be increasing at all points in the lift until the triple extension, which means that you should never slow down. So it often helps to be a little slower at the start and work on accelerating gradually through the movement until you really explode on the extension.

You move under the bar much faster in the power snatch than the jerk. The jerk’s speed to get under the bar should be much faster, more like your power snatch. Remember you are not allowed to press the weight out with your arms.

You’d get red lighted on those jerks for those push outs. It’s not a push press; it’s a jerk.

[quote]olylifter106 wrote:
On your jerk, you’re moving way too slow!! The dip/drive transition should be much faster. And unless you are power jerking for a very specific reason, teach yourself to split jerk. Much more stable, especially with your levers!! Also, stay tighter in the trunk when you clean, your elbows touched and that’s a no-no.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. I power jerk because I tried to split jerk and it felt wrong… I don’t know how to exactly explain it but I feel more confortable this way. I do split jerk once in a while and I’m getting better I think. And yeah, my elbows touched the knees but I did a 2nd rep after the one in the video and they didn’t touch. Actually it was the first and only time that happened. I will try to focus on speed next time I jerk again.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Noticing a few things on your C/J. Your arms start to bend very early, this is not good. They need to stay straight and relaxed until after the triple extension. 2nd is what olylifter106 said, your “jerk” is more of a “push press”. Your knees also go into valgus during the dip which means i think that you need to strengthen them as well.

The jerk should be a drive, and then you should already be underneath the bar to receive it, not press it out. Move under the bar faster.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. I’ve already been told about my arms. that happens when I’m snatching too. I guess I’ll have to be more patient and wait for the right moment before triple extension.
About my knees you’re totally right and I’m trying to get better and strong with the squat.
As for the Jerk when I was lifting I really felt that I was not that bad. but after seeing the videos I started to paying attention to the details and I now understand what all of you guys been telling me. I’ll try to get it better. Thanks again

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
I’m actually pretty impressed with your power snatch form for a self-taught guy. Pretty good all-around. As noted, you can start slower if you want–this is a borderline personal choice, however the absolute KEY is that the speed should be increasing at all points in the lift until the triple extension, which means that you should never slow down. So it often helps to be a little slower at the start and work on accelerating gradually through the movement until you really explode on the extension.

You move under the bar much faster in the power snatch than the jerk. The jerk’s speed to get under the bar should be much faster, more like your power snatch. Remember you are not allowed to press the weight out with your arms.[/quote]

Thank’s Aragorn. I’ve already ‘fixed’ the first portion of the snatch. yesterday I snatched again I focused on accelerating gradually. I’m trying to get better by fixing one error at the time.I started lifting with the ‘help’ of youtube videos and began to develop my technique through trial and error. So that’s why I need the opinion of most experienced guys to pinpoint me what I’m doing wrong and cannot figure it out by myself.
Now that I know what I’m doing wrong, I will get better with the jerk. I’ll try to move faster under the bar.

[quote]Obisidian wrote:
You’d get red lighted on those jerks for those push outs. It’s not a push press; it’s a jerk. [/quote]

Even though I don’t compete I know that I would get red lighted when I do something wrong… and by the way I also know diference between the push-press and jerk (in my case supposedly power jerk). Thanks anyway.

here’s some footage of my last practice. these were a few sets of volume to finish the practice. I still slightly bend my elbows too early but overall I think I’m getting better.

Here’s a new vídeo of my Jerk. Is it any better this way?

Jerk is much better. Now, a couple of things I would have you fix from here on. Your dip is too deep. You’ll rob yourself of power from transitioning from dip to drive by dipping that much. Second, get that front foot farther forward. Really think of stepping that front foot out more!!

Keep it up, you’re definitely making good progress!!

[quote]olylifter106 wrote:
Jerk is much better. Now, a couple of things I would have you fix from here on. Your dip is too deep. You’ll rob yourself of power from transitioning from dip to drive by dipping that much. Second, get that front foot farther forward. Really think of stepping that front foot out more!!

Keep it up, you’re definitely making good progress!![/quote]

Thanks!! Next time I’ll keep in mind your advice.

[quote]R117 wrote:
here’s some footage of my last practice. these were a few sets of volume to finish the practice. I still slightly bend my elbows too early but overall I think I’m getting better.[/quote]

Wow, now thats the snatch form i was waiting to see! looks good man keep it up.

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:

[quote]R117 wrote:
here’s some footage of my last practice. these were a few sets of volume to finish the practice. I still slightly bend my elbows too early but overall I think I’m getting better.[/quote]

Wow, now thats the snatch form i was waiting to see! looks good man keep it up.[/quote]

Are you serious or just being sarcastic?

Here’s todays practice footage. I missed the 2nd of 3 reps but I guess I’m improving.