Sly Stallone as... the Punisher?

I just had what my brother used to call “an epic brainwave”;

Sylvester Stallone as the Punisher.

Now, I have nothing against Thomas Jane. I think he’s a perfectly fine actor in his own right. I loved him in The Mist. But the Punisher? No. Just no.

I know a lot of you loved the first Punisher movie, but we’ve got to be real here; that portrayal of Frank Castle was the pussiest thing I’ve ever seen since Ben Affleck pulled on red tights. Frank Castle is not a mewling watery-eyed mama’s boy. He does not pull punches. He is a New York born & bred criminal-killing white slaver-immolating Mafioso gut-shooting psychopath extraordinaire.

He is not cute, cuddly or even easy to emphasize with. He is righteous rage personified in the figure of a very mortal man, in a world of superhumans.

Enter Sly Stallone. After Rambo, can anyone really say he doesn’t have the juice to play Frank Castle? Let’s go down the list;

1. He’s older. Frank Castle is a Vietnam vet. Stallone’s old enough to be one, but still vital as all hell.

2. Frank Castle is from New York (Hell’s Kitchen specifically). Stallone sounds like he’s from New York.

3. Frank Castle is BIG. Not huge, but big. Thomas Jane worked hard to get into shape, but he’s still a tall, lean guy. Stallone, while still lean, is big, or at least gives the impression of sinewy, old-man strength.

I rest my case.

i thought the guy that was in the 1st one did a great job :shrug:

I’d see it.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
i thought the guy that was in the 1st one did a great job :shrug:[/quote]

He wasn’t bad and I think Ray Stevenson is a good choice for the upcoming Punisher film. He was great on Rome. I guess we’ll see in December if the story is up to par.

I like Sly, but can’t really see it.

Ray Stevenson is the next Punisher. He’s 6’ 4" and from the UK.

Here is the first trailer. It’s not cut by the director so who knows how well it accurate shows what it will be like. All I know is they went for a hard R with lots of blood and guts.

Didn’t Thomas Jane quit the Punisher project because of creative differences? I believe he went into detail.

I don’t think it will matter who is in it - it won’t be better than the first one.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
Didn’t Thomas Jane quit the Punisher project because of creative differences? I believe he went into detail.

I don’t think it will matter who is in it - it won’t be better than the first one. [/quote]

Pretty much. I know he wrote a letter to the fans or blog (or whatever) talking about how he was really looking forward to doing the sequel, but why he wouldn’t be coming back. I can’t find the link where I read it though.

Jane fit the role perfectly. I wish he would do the second one, but I think even he knew the writer’s plot of the movie wasn’t like the first.

Dolph Lundgren did a pretty good job.

Any interest in Sly and the Family Stone playing the Punisher?

On a semi-related note, I always thought Thomas Jane was the guy that played Marc Antony in Rome. Then I realised that it was James Purefoy.

They look fairly similar, but Jane has more mass to him.

Anyway, I think Ray Stephenson will rock - loved him in Rome.

This new guy certainly looks a lot more the part. While I think Jane did an okay job, he’s still too much of a hollywood pretty boy.

S

There was a thread about this a while back when Jane dropped out of the role. Im going to say the same thing I said in the old one, this story can be told so much deeper and grittier than your typical Marvel PG13 blockbuster style. The only problem is that it will never happen. The best story arcs of his were when you didnt even realize you were reading a comic book.

As a kid I used to wish that there were never any interaction between him and the rest of the Marvel universe. They go through all this trouble to maintain a level of realism in his world, but then he makes a guest appearance in some bullshit spider man issue. I guess even then I was more interested with the idea of the character than Marvel’s execution of it.

[quote]Ray Stevenson is the next Punisher. He’s 6’ 4" and from the UK.

Here is the first trailer. It’s not cut by the director so who knows how well it accurate shows what it will be like. All I know is they went for a hard R with lots of blood and guts.[/quote]

It looks decent. Still not exactly what I had in mind, but I suppose they’ll just keep plugging away until they get the franchise right. Ray’ll probably do a decent job.

All they need to do to make the next one great is follow one of Garth Ennis’ story arcs from the MAX series. Soon as the Nick Fury movie comes out, do the “Mother Russia” to tie into it and watch people file into the theaters.

Titus Pullo will be good as The Punisher. Tom Jane didn’t fit the role because he didn’t have the look or the attitude. Lucius Vorenus (Kevin McKidd) would have been even better in terms of attitude, but the red hair kinda kills it.

I wish for once that the studio would just take it for granted that we know who Frank Castle is and why he turned into a vigilante and skip the whole origin story. I’m getting tired of seeing the same movie over and over with a different cast.

I’d watch one with sly in it. rocky is like one of my favorite movies. i even went and saw the last one in a theater because the rest came out before my time. i even liked the new rambo

sly would be cool though i want to be as big as him when i am 60 something

That would probably be one of the sweetest movies ever.

Jason Bourne and Iron Man were both originally involved in Vietnam, but I can’t see casting 60 year olds to play their parts.

A good friend and I used to try to cast our ideal x-man movie (this was back in the mid 80’s/ early 90’s, and there was just no way anyone could ever pull that off! -lol), and we always batted around the idea of Deniro as Wolverine (think of him in cape fear and tell me you don’t agree!)

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
A good friend and I used to try to cast our ideal x-man movie (this was back in the mid 80’s/ early 90’s, and there was just no way anyone could ever pull that off! -lol), and we always batted around the idea of Deniro as Wolverine (think of him in cape fear and tell me you don’t agree!)

S
[/quote]

Ideal X-man movie cast would include:

Pam Grier as Storm

Jack Nicholson as Wolverine (go back in time to when Jack was thirty, put him through 4 years of intense weight training, with a few steroid cycles to bulk him up.

Keep Patrick Stewart as Prof. X

Christian Bale as Cyclops