Sheiko--Own the Pain and Gain

I am unemployed so don’t really keep track of time because I have a lot of time to kill. I think really I am closer to 2 hours.

I thought dl to the knees meant deadlift to knees, stop drop, begin again. like this… Deadlift to knees - YouTube

There isn’t alot of options as far as boxes go at my gym, I was eying the aerobic steps the other day wondering how much they’d hold.

There are two schools of thought regarding the D2K, one being the way in that vid, and the other is Sheiko’s way of locking it out after the pause. The first time I did them, I did them like the above vid. Then I researched a bit more into it, and found that many people say Sheiko intends for them to be completed. Then I did them with about the same weight as before, and they were harder but more awesome. Starting the rep again after the pause is hard, but regular deads fly up afterwards. Think about it, why lift to a sticking point and drop it? It’s like squatting, coming out of the hole, but then dumping it.

The aerobic boxes will be fine. That’s what I use, and I think my last block pull sets were in the mid 300’s, and nothing cracked even though I was putting the bar down pretty hard. If they break, big deal, grab another one haha.

Good luck and keep kicking ass

I’ve considered giving Sheiko a spin but the only lifting three days a week bugs me.

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
There are two schools of thought regarding the D2K, one being the way in that vid, and the other is Sheiko’s way of locking it out after the pause. The first time I did them, I did them like the above vid. Then I researched a bit more into it, and found that many people say Sheiko intends for them to be completed. Then I did them with about the same weight as before, and they were harder but more awesome. Starting the rep again after the pause is hard, but regular deads fly up afterwards. Think about it, why lift to a sticking point and drop it? It’s like squatting, coming out of the hole, but then dumping it.

The aerobic boxes will be fine. That’s what I use, and I think my last block pull sets were in the mid 300’s, and nothing cracked even though I was putting the bar down pretty hard. If they break, big deal, grab another one haha.

Good luck and keep kicking ass[/quote]

ah that makes so much more sense now!!

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

Good luck and keep kicking ass[/quote]

ah that makes so much more sense now!!
[/quote]

I am not sure what happened to the post above this one. I wrote a long (for me) explaination of my DL day andwho I stuck to the above video method, had a great workout ect., but I guess it didn’t make it into cyberia. Maybe I was low on interweb fluid.

Week 4 Sheiko # 29, Squat-bench-squat.

Hips are feeling better, I skipped Friday, week 3 due to some schedualing issues and the aforementioned hip soreness. Also on wednesday of week # 3 I went a little banana’s on the leg press (supplimented for the lunges to address weak hips, glutes, and hams) keeping my feet forward and focusing on problem areas and press me heart out.

Squats went well, still reining in the wieghts for safety sake.

155 x 4
190 x 3
2(225 x 3)
245 x 3
2(255 x 2)
I really had more in the tank here and wanted to hit 315, but I moved on.

Week 4 seems to be a lower volume.

Bench (all free weights)
3 x 135
3 x 155
3 x 185
4(3 x 205)

…and more damned squats, then good mornings where i make exactly the same face as my avatar.

In other news I got turned down for the training through the State of CT which is a huge kick in the nuts. I am not sure what to do at this point but to keep back on the job boards. This and listening to Metalica’s Master of Puppets, the soundtrack of my youth, sort of put me in a crappy mood. The music reminded me that at that point, 16 yrs old during the final days of the cold war I assumed I would either be fighting nuclear zombie types in post apocalyptic CT, or fighting on the “front” killing Soviet bash-tiches somewhere cold, or more likely both. I am pretty happy the 16 year old me was pretty far off the mark, but would like some direction these days.

Funny how soon we forgot about the cold war and the constant threat of nuclear war, all those warheads pointing at each other.

Reagan and Thatcher get a huge amount of stick, but people forget how along with Gorbachev they all did a great thing. Made the world a safer place…for a while anyway.

Sorry about the job woes. Hope something comes along soon.

Nice work man, especially on using free weights for the benching. How’d you like the deads? Next time, do them by finishing the rep and compare the two, would ya?

Sucks about the job training, sorry to hear that.

Onward and upward

@ inkaddict, that particular workout had the DL to the knees and then dl from the pins. I made sure the ROM’s overlapped a little. So I had the full ROM, but got to focus on two common sticking points, leaving the ground and then the lock-out. It was a great workout, but this coming DL day is just plain-ole DL’s with a crap-load of benching.

I am very happy with the"free" benching progress. I have been pausing on the bottom and giving myself the “press” command. I fell like I learned some new trick. Even in my muscular youth I was not much of a bencher so this is all new ground for me.

The job situation is frustrating. without going into a ton of detail, I have been a recruiter for the past five years and I am really sick of it. The point of the training was a total career change. Before recruiting I was in sales, lots of transferable skills between the two, but people now see “recruiter” on my resume and assume I can only do that and not a sales job. Frankly, I feel like getting a job selling cars (something I did a long time ago and enjoyed) just to get the “sales” aspect back on my resume.

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
Funny how soon we forgot about the cold war and the constant threat of nuclear war, all those warheads pointing at each other.

Reagan and Thatcher get a huge amount of stick, but people forget how along with Gorbachev they all did a great thing. Made the world a safer place…for a while anyway.

Sorry about the job woes. Hope something comes along soon.[/quote]

I don’t know about you but as a kid I had nightmares pretty often about “thermo-nuclear war.” My dad was in the Army reserves at that point and had a full chemical warfare suit in the closet. He told me when later that he thought it would have been useless. Crazy days. You’re absolutely right about Grobachev, Thatcher and Reagan. I just heard an interview with a former NSA guy who said there were 3 times while Reagan was in office we were within minutes of WWIII becuase of miscommunications.

I know that workout, haha. I had deadlift to knees and rack pulls last night, so brutal.

Nice work on pausing your benching. That will go a long way for you if you ever decide to do a meet

Sheiko date, Wednesday, week 4, Bench, DL, bench

I had too much on my mind with the (lack of) work and state sponsored training issues. Also I hit a lunchtime group that thought the free weight area was mainly for socializing, and squat racks where the few good DL bars are, where for looking at 135lbs on the bar and flirting. Not even Slayer’s “War Ensemble” live could get me focused.

Bench portion
3 x 135
3 x 155
2(3 x 185)
shoulder felt funny so I stayed at 3(185 x 2) instead of 205.

DL,
I skipped warm ups, foolishly, but I was pretty warm after benching and pushing off my heals a’la Dave Tate
225 x 3
275 x 3
295 x 3
3(315 x 1) Every time I pulled 315 it felt much heavier.

More benching, same numbers.

Instead of the fly’s Boris wanted me to do I decided that a light, slow burn set of 5(135 x 5) to work those support muscles would make more sense addressing the weakness here.

After I got home, I quickly got two interviews scheduled, one with a recruiting agency, and another for a recruiting position for a financial planning firm. I recruited financial planners for 4 1/2 years so this would be a natural fit and sounds…so as I have learned from T-Nation, deadlifiting cures what ails yee.

You can also do rear delt work instead of flyes every time. Bigger upper back = bigger base to bench from = bigger bench.

Good luck with the interviews man, hope those go well

Interview went really good, 2nd interview same Co.+ another 1st interview on tuesday-- the one today sounds like a great fit.

Friday Week 4 squat/bench

I was looking forward to squats but once I got warmed up and under some real weight it felt REAL heavy. I think the low carb is catching up to me or some prick put kryptonite in my water bottle.

155 x 5
2(185 x 5) flipped to wrong week hould have been 1 set of 3
3(225 x 3)
2(245 x 3) should have been 5 sets but I was cooked

Bench was very light per Sheiko, not much to report.

I guess I will start studying up on carb cycling, something I have been putting off becuase I generally do well on simple super low carb. I hate to start messing with my diet when I am interviewing. Any sources for a crash course carb cycling?

Good Evening Gentlemen,
New member here!
I’ve been lifting on and off for over 25 years along with many other exercises including cycling and Crossfit recently.
I’m 57 now (YIKES) and have started Sheiko, and enjoy it.
The structure suits me well. It makes me work. The workout is written right there for me to accomplish.
I alternate Sheiko and cardio/Crossfit and it seems to be working for me very well.
I love Dead lifts and am starting to gain a lot of respect for squating.
My max DL is 365. Squat is only 250, but getting better. I tore my Achilles 5 years ago, so that is holding me back.
I sometimes substitute during Sheiko. Power Cleans or Overhead Squats for French Presses for example.
I know it may be wrong, but I like them and Sheiko doesn’t prescribe them.
I’m going to keep going with Sheiko and let it take me where it takes me.

Welcome Mcjake! How long have you been doing Shieko? It seems a strange choice for someone who can’t squat, or at least can;t squat to the intensity that Shieko wants. I am surprised the achilles hurts your squat and not deadlift.

Thanks Kraken,
Doing Sheiko for about 6 months now.
I enjoy the structure of it. I’ve been doing #37.
The thing is, that I used to go to the gym and just wing it. I did lower body one time, upper body the next with no real goal and little improvement.
Sheiko gives me a prescribed workout and I can see and feel the improvement.
The issues with Sguats is balance. With one leg stronger than the other I’m rising unevenly. With heavier weights, that throws me to off and I lose stability.
Deadlifts, with the weights low, doesn’t give me problems
I’ll just have to improve at a slower pace with squats than with the other exercises.

Sort of a back log on my log, Monday, Week 5, Bench, squat, bench

switched to a carb cycle diet, didn’t feel 100% for this workout but better thn last week.

Bench, again staying at the same numbers following Shieko to the letter until the last set where I was “gassed out.”

1 x5
1 x4
2 x3
4 x3 last set here I did sort of a “bench from the pins” not having any spotters around and the weight feeling really heavy and unstable.

Squat
1 x5x 155
2x 5x 190
5x 5x 225 WHAT THE HELL BORIS!?!

More damned benching, fly’s and good mornings.

Had the second interview with a Financial Planning office for a recruiter position. I think it went good, the interviewer was a much harder read but I should know this week. Also had an interview at a regular recruiting agency for an IT recruiter but I wasn’t crazy about the job. Definatley a job vs. career feel to the place. I wont get a decision there until next week anyways.

Did Boris this morning

Squats. Up to 2x5 of 225lbs
Dumbell Bench Presses Up to 2x5 of 80lbs(I use dumbells for safety. Too many reps with Sheiko to bother someone to spot)
Fly’s Up to 10x5 of 35lbs
More Squats
Good Mornings 5x5 of 135lbs

I’m starting to motor through these workouts (on a good day) without having to rest for long periods of time between sets. It’s working!

[quote]mcjake401 wrote:
Did Boris this morning

Squats. Up to 2x5 of 225lbs
Dumbell Bench Presses Up to 2x5 of 80lbs(I use dumbells for safety. Too many reps with Sheiko to bother someone to spot)
Fly’s Up to 10x5 of 35lbs
More Squats
Good Mornings 5x5 of 135lbs

I’m starting to motor through these workouts (on a good day) without having to rest for long periods of time between sets. It’s working!
[/quote]

That’s great, when are you going to start your own log?