Sheiko--Own the Pain and Gain

[quote]Dude623 wrote:
Sorry so late on the responce to the Surge after doing squats, just had to add my 2 cents. I get the same thing with various workouts . Often I plan a 30 min cool down decompression afterwards . If it can’t wait til then I simply tell people, " I just worked out and meaningful conversation is impossible due to a biochemical reaction beyond my control is now taking place, are you reading ME." say this with a curled eyebrow and they will get the point. [/quote]

Lol, i’m not quiet at the point that i need a decomp after a workout but i do take 20 minutes in the sauna after and play with my bulldog (code name Catguts) who is “half bull, half dog, all man.” I guess this squat/test connection is why Sheiko has squats in nearly every workout.

Welcome to the Senior Circuit.

Squats today after a holiday and birthday induced extra day off…no testosterone related outbursts even with the gym lousey with highschool lads and a very “in-shape” (toned I guess) fellow who was nearly breaking the 45 degree plane slightly bending his knees and rounding his back with 365 lbs for reps. I don’t know what he calls it, he was at the squat rack, but it was not squats.

Still hanging with Sheiko. I’m in week two officially on the #29. The first week is labeled “conditioning week,” so I have been using the program for 3 weeks total. The volume is alot, but I am still happy with it. I feel stronger every workout and weel prepared for what is coming up in later weeks.

I was wondering if you are meant to adjust the max rep number used for everything. I am not strickly following that aspect of the program (the exact percentages) because as I said I feel stronger every workout. I try to make the last rep of the last set nearly failure, but keep the volume in mind when loading up the bar.

As I understand, you don’t change the max during a cycle. Here’s what I did:

1. Test maxes.
  2. Do cycle. Use constant numbers for maxes.
  3. After cycle, do one week deload,then retest maxes. Reset numbers.

I know, the weight start feeling a little light during my cycle. You’re not supposed to change during cycle, but I started adding a bit halfway through the cycle (shhh, don’t tell Boris).

Welcome to the forums, Kraken! Hope we can encourage you here!

I partially ignored my own caution as well as the reason I picked this program that was clearly designed by a Bond villian, and went balls out on deadlift day. I also have a headcold and figured that either this cold will kill me, or I will kill it. New personal record, grrrrrrrrrrrahhhh 3 x 335lbs!..but after that set I couldn’t get the bar 6 inches above the ground.

Also, as the weights increase I am really feeling the supprt muscles come in to play, abs on dl, bp, and squats, lats ect.

This is the part where I don’t say negative things about other people. I am unemployed, awaiting training and a career change so in the mean time I workout mid day. I can’t wait for christmas break to be over so I can have the free weight area in the gym mainly to myself again.

Great PR, but I’m 'fused . . . I thought you in the middle of a cycle where you don’t go for maxes.

Headcold? don’t forget lots of protein & vitamin C, or it’ll show you who’s boss . . .

And if I can get a job in this economy, it’s only a matter of time for you.

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Great PR, but I’m 'fused . . . I thought you in the middle of a cycle where you don’t go for maxes.

Headcold? don’t forget lots of protein & vitamin C, or it’ll show you who’s boss . . .

And if I can get a job in this economy, it’s only a matter of time for you.[/quote]
Yeah I know, but the sets felt so light I went for it–sort of belated birthday present to myself. I’ will and have stuck/stick to the program. I’m sure I am still riding a new guy growth spurt but I am very happy with the results.
On the job front I am (hopefully) entering a program to go to school for IT work. Because it is run by the state the process is a lot like a visit to the DMV, slow, redundant, and frustrating, but it may be free school for me. It has been about three months of meetings, paperwork and workshops and me being in limbo.

Squat/bench super day…or friday week 2 all done. Still not feeling 100%, a little weak and sore but worked through it. I dialed back the squat portion due to my back not feeling right, but later in squat group 2 I realized it was my hips feeling strained. Also realized I have let the weights climb too much and was doing more like 80% when I should have been at 60%. I did a ton of warm up on the bench, still seeking good technique, and decided a 5x5 set at a constant weight would be a better alternative to the normal Sheiko brutality.

By the time I finished the goodmornings I 5x8 @ 135lbs I was ready for the sauna (thank you Jebadiah Sauna who I assume invented the Sauna), pj’s and a nap…but first I am going to eat every piece of meat the local curry buffet has left, spicy please.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

[quote]cavalier wrote:

And if I can get a job in this economy, it’s only a matter of time for you.[/quote]
Yeah I know, but the sets felt so light I went for it–sort of belated birthday present to myself. I’ will and have stuck/stick to the program. I’m sure I am still riding a new guy growth spurt but I am very happy with the results.
On the job front I am (hopefully) entering a program to go to school for IT work. Because it is run by the state the process is a lot like a visit to the DMV, slow, redundant, and frustrating, but it may be free school for me. It has been about three months of meetings, paperwork and workshops and me being in limbo.[/quote]

Well, don’t expect any sympathy from me. I’m an instructor and have had to just pour time and work into the class - and it hasn’t even started yet. Preparing lesson plans, attending orientation, learning the web system, blah. And I think I’ll have to create videos for the kids to watch online, have to get with the boss to check what I need to do.

[quote]cavalier wrote:

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

[quote]cavalier wrote:

On the job front I am (hopefully) entering a program to go to school for IT work. Because it is run by the state the process is a lot like a visit to the DMV, slow, redundant, and frustrating, but it may be free school for me. It has been about three months of meetings, paperwork and workshops and me being in limbo.[/quote]

Well, don’t expect any sympathy from me. I’m an instructor and have had to just pour time and work into the class - and it hasn’t even started yet. Preparing lesson plans, attending orientation, learning the web system, blah. And I think I’ll have to create videos for the kids to watch online, have to get with the boss to check what I need to do.[/quote]

If I wanted sympathy I’d call…well I was going to say my Mom but she’s Irish and has the come back with your shield or on it parental philosophy…so I guess I’d buy a stranger a drink and chew their ear off, but alas I wasn’t really looking for any.

It’s not an issue with the school, it’s with the State. They’ve done everything but checked my prostate. I took a reading and math, no algebra, geomotry or game theory, just math at the 8th grade level. Luckily I passed it. I have taken an interviewing prep workshop (State mandated) even though as a recruiter I interviewed 100’s of people where the person running the workshop took notes on everything I said, had my resume critiqued by a woman who clearly didn’t know anything about resumes, filed out paperwork at home and then exactly the same paperwork at unemployment and on and on…I actually volunteered to run a resume and/or interviewing prep workshop but the State DOL does not utilize unpaid workers.

I am giddy that the State might be paying for my education (a handfull of certifications for a career in IT) and will continue to jump through hoops until I get it or get told to go to hell, but the CT Dept of Labor…well let’s leave it at “if I was running things, it would be different.”

As for the actual workout today, Squat/bench Sheiko monday week 3. I recalculated my maxes because I was getting out of control loading the bars up too much. I am certainly growing, but don’t want to stop because I destroyed myself trying to earn a gym win.

I started to restrict carbs to try to trim a little. I know this is probably not the smartest move to try with Sheiko but I have performed well with a low carb diet and hard work. As usual I concerned with avoiding injury so closely monitor progress or lack of progress.

On the bench, I completed all the sets with free weights, a first for me. I used lower weights than I have on the smith machine but this was do to the above recalcuations. I am finally feeling comfortable benching and watch the “so you think you can bench” series on youtube constantly. These video are a god-send and worth every minute.

…and finally, five hours after leaving the gym my hips are throbbing. I clearly have a weak link any advice for hip centric work?

Wide squater or narrow?

Foam roll a lot and ice and heat.

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
Wide squater or narrow?

Foam roll a lot and ice and heat.[/quote]

Wide, but I was considering trying a narrower stance because of this.

I’d stick with the stance you have and just give Fischers suggestion a try first.

Hey Kraken, I’ll be following your log, seeing how Sheiko treats you. I’ve been running sheiko for a little while, and have had great results. I know you’re just getting to doing the full bench session with free weights, but keep at it.

Also, when you are calculating your bench weights, increase your 1RM by 5-10% and use that as your base number to calculate your lifts with. Many people find this to be beneficial and helps bring the bench up better. For example, my 1RM was 275, but I used 290 as my training max, so that 80% was actually 85%, but I never missed a rep.

Another thing, pause all of your bench reps. Benching raw, the natural sticking point is off the chest so by pausing every rep, you create more “starting” power, and touch and go style benching will be even easier.

Paused deadlifts, in case you didn’t know, are pulled from the floor/paused around knee level for a 1-count, and then locked out. They’re brutal, but effective. You’ll feel like a vagina, getting your ass handed to you by a weight 100#s lighter than your max DL, but your lower back will get “strong like bull” from them as long as you keep your form tight.

Speaking of form, whoever said Sheiko reinforces good form, is leaving out the important thing that it will reinforce the form you’re using. If your form sucks, you’ll perfect shitty form, if you know what I mean. Doing the same thing over and over again, will make it second nature, so make the reps count.

Oh, and LOL @ the comments like “If you don’t eat/rest enough, Sheiko will destroy/bury/kill/murder/rape/sodimize/molest/impregnate/etc you” Just eat, sleep, train and see what happens. Don’t over think it. It’s a well thought out program, and if you follow it correctly, you’ll get huge benefits from it.

Last tip, you don’t need to do flyes all of the time. You can sub them out on occasion for rear delt work like face pulls or rear delt DB raises and stuff like that. Have fun with it, and kick ass.

Ink

Thanks for the support! I am a form nerd due to my background in martial arts and that I have found over and over again that good form makes for safe heavy lifting. It’s all I can do to not scream at some of the really bad squating and DLing (or the guy that rounds his back everytime he comes near a barbell) I’ve seen at my local gym but I keep my headphones on and stay quiet.

I haven’t hit any paused DL yet. Next workout is DL to the knees, bench, flies, DL from pins lounges, and abs…what the duece no full DL!?

Benching has been an issue for me because of bad shoulders, but applying an actual PL technique takes the preasure off the shoulders and now it seems more an issue of stablizing (and confidence) on the bench. My session yesterday was on the low side as far as my current potential goes. On the smith machine I did 255lb x2 but did 185LB X3 3 times which I did with relative ease. I feel like I can press the weight, it’s keeping it under control that makes me hold back. Today I am sore but not destroyed.

Sheiko on the whole I am still very happy with. I am not sure what I am going to do when I don’t have unlimited free time to devote to the gym because my average gym visit with Sheiko is close to 3 hours right now. I’ll stick with it as long as I can.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
Wide squater or narrow?

Foam roll a lot and ice and heat.[/quote]

Wide, but I was considering trying a narrower stance because of this. [/quote]

Do you think it is a flexability issue? I sort of assumed it was a muscle weakness.

Deadlift to the knees, is a paused dead. Pull it to your knees and pause, then lock it out.

How do your sessions take upwards of 3 hours? I knock them out in usually 70-90 minutes, 2 hours max when I throw in extra work at the end of the session. How long are your rest periods?

Also, if you can pull from blocks instead of pins, it’ll feel more “deadlift” like, and you’ll like them more. Make sure the bar is set as close to where you do your pause for the DL to knees. If you like, I’ll dig up my last deadlift session that uses those pulls and post the vid.