Rise Of The Slaya 2019- Next Strongman Comp prep and fixing my hip

Sandbag sprints are pretty nasty when we talk about conditioning

Especially if you do them for time, say 45 second sprint with the bag, when you can’t go on sprinting drop the bag and continue without it.

Rest a while, grab the bag and repeat.

(So it’s, say 30 second spint w/bag +15s without
1 minute rest
28s w/bag, 17 without
1 minute rest
etc.)

1 Like

How do you come up with such torture

1 Like

Honestly I don’t even know. Sometimes when I try stuff I’ve thought up I surprise even myself and I’m like “what kind of fucked up person would come up with this”

Then I realize it was me

Either it’s in my genes or I’ve watched too much game of thrones

I should probably start calling myself “torture coach” and train only masochists

4 Likes

Still as upbeat as ever despite going through some tough shit huh. You still have many years in your name, gotta let loose and enjoy uni (or post-high) for what it’s worth. Just 3 1h sessions a week should do for now.

1 Like

BJJ

2 hours of BJJ, awesome session.

@twojarslave and anyone else that does BJJ: every session we’ve been practising “shrimping” and other various exercises at the start, some of the stuff is really weird to learn but it comes in handy later on. shrimping lol… havent quite got the hang of it.

started off on exercises such as pummeling, shrimping, forward and back rolls, egg rolls and other stuff like that.

then worked though some takedowns, chokes/submissions, side control, armlocks etc

The funnest bit: rolling. i had 2 partners today, one was the coach. i like rolling with the coach because he shows me what im doing wrong or teaches different techniqus to escape from his submissions etc, i never beat him obviously, but he goes easy on me so i can get practise in. during our roll , Coach was showing me a technique that i shouldnt be able to get out of, but due to my strength i was able to roll him over and escape. he was surprised lol.

next up was big 13 year old dude, rolled with him for a bit and ended up being a draw in the first round (couldn’t submit each other), second round submitted him in ten seconds. Conditioning was the biggest factor; he was really worn out from the BJJ session/ rolling and i wasn’t (my conditionings really improving) so i won.

great session altogether, slowly improving and getting more conditioned. also, asked coach again for 1 on 1 sessions and he said yes ( a little bit ago i asked and he said he cant due to being to busy) so in a few weeks time after school holidays, i’ll be doing more bjj and solely with the coach, which is sure going to make me improve quickly.

6 Likes

Shrimping is a fundamental movement in jiu jitsu. It will come in handy immediately, not later on. It is used to open up space between you and your opponent, creating the opportunity to escape, achieve a sweep and even set up some submissions. Like everything else, pay attention to the details and listen to your instructor.

I’m amazed at how many people manage to mess up shrimping by confusing it as a race across the mats instead of a hip-out movement to create space. Don’t be one of those guys, make sure you do it right!

5 Likes

Thanks for explaining that man! Some of the things are just so weird but i know there for a reason.

I keep going forward when trying to shrimp, instead of “hipping out” properly. Such a simple movement, yet not easy to master ( for me) lol

Instructor gave me some pointers and i nearly shrimped correctly, next time I’ll get it.

I agree!

One on one sessions are great. Here are some things to think about.

Your instructor may ask what you want to work on. I think a good answer to that is “whatever you think I need to learn first.” If you want to learn a berimbolo or an inverted triangle choke, I’m sure he’d be glad to take your money and show you those things. Flashy submissions are fun, but I think escapes might be a better skill to look at first. You could spend an hour diving into details of any given submission, but it won’t do you any good if you can’t escape side control or mount.

Escapes also make rolling more fun, since you won’t be stuck on the bottom getting smashed for the whole round if you know how to improve your position.

I’m only one year in, but if my game has any strong points, it is my escapes and defense. There’s only a couple people I train with who can keep me on bottom for the entire round, and they are all brown belt and higher. Even those guys leave the door cracked open a little, and I’m beginning to gain good positions on my brown and black belt training partners. Now I just need to hold those positions for more than a few seconds…,

4 Likes

Thankyou twojar!!

School holidays
Last day of school today for two weeks, im going Rock climbing twice on the holidays which covers my exercise lol. Also staying at my best mates for a bit and yeah. Not going to log food either, just going to try eat healthy and limit junk lol.

7 Likes

Sounds fun. Enjoy!

Enjoy the holidays Young Duke :slight_smile:

Thanks guys! It’s a much needed holiday

1 Like

Todays events
Today i went to an all you can eat restaurant for lunch and it was expensive as ($45) but i ate like 6 plates of food. I got my moneys worth!

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten that much food in a whole sitting before. It was awesome! Food was fancy and there was a whole table of desserts as well.

Also tonight i went out to a tavern and ordered a big ass T-Bone with mashed potato. Lol today was a good day of eating :heart_eyes:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhjUgRIgK2G/

6 Likes

Indoor Rock climbing!!
3 hrs of Rock climbing, second time going, went with a bunch of family.

Price was really good! $20 for shoe and harness hire and entry with unlimited access all day. Had loads of fun but now i’m sore everywhere! Tomorrow i’ll be feeling it.

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend

4 Likes

Rock climbing, MMA, sprinting, lifting… You are turning into a real lil athlete mate.

1 Like

Thanks man! I have to keep myself active, or i’ll go crazy haha

1 Like

You’ll be better from doing a variety of things. Specialization is limiting when it comes to overall development. Not everyone can apply their weight room strength to real life. All the work you’re doing to move your body through space in different planes will be good for you.

3 Likes

I was alot better at rock climbing today than when i went last ( a year ago), im also a few kg heavier than last time.

All this variety of stuff must be doing my body good, I still miss lifting though.

I’m pretty fit (for me) atm probably fittest i’ve ever been so that’s good. When lifting i wrongfully neglected conditioning.

1 Like

Sounds like a valuable lesson for your future development is being learned. This whole gym thing may be the best thing that ever happened to you…

2 Likes