Rise Of The Slaya 2019- Next Strongman Comp prep and fixing my hip

What are your max lifts and BW? I need to chase someones squat, im guessing yours is much heavier then mine . And your my age and similar body type. Btw whats your height?

Then why alter something someone with an immense amount of training knowledge wrote a specific way to be ran?

I want to note that I’m not attacking you or anything as well. I’m simply being an advocate for running a program as written for the first go through

3 Likes

You can learn to manage/live with it. I have altered my technique due to my left knee and right shoulder to be able to make training it viable. It’s where getting someone to analyze how you move and correct it can be helpful.

It’s not to downplay your injury, but many trainees get similar, if not worse, injuries and learn how to still lift through them. @strongmanvinny2 has a significant difference in lowerlimb length, for example, and has learned how to train around it. Don’t see it as a “nothing can be done” situation: it just needs a creative solution.

2 Likes

I don’t really care about the powerlifts. My front squat 1Rm is 120kg, deadlift i haven’t maxed out on and bench around 90kg. My strict press 1rm is 60kg. Bodyweight about 88kg

Because I dont like to train more than 2 days in a row. 3 max. To train hard i need rest days. Something ive found. I also don’t want to aggravate my shoulder by pressing two days in a row.

After I’m finished school and have a full time job physio and a chiropractor is definitely what i want to get. That and regular deep tissue sports massages lol

I guess. I mean it doesnt stop me from training hard, just i have to be careful with certain exercises.

What kind of job are you interested in?

At this point/early on in my life anything that can earn income to support myself. My cousin offered to get me a job working with him spray painting navy ships so I’ve been thinking about that

3 Likes

If I may add my 2 cents, If it was specific programming from Jon Anderson too Duke I’d understand following it too a T, but seeing as this is just a program from the book I think there is always someway you can alter a program to better suit you. There hasn’t been a single program I’ve ran that I have not toyed with myself.
Personally I feel most of my experience in knowing what my body best responds too comes from me toying with shit. I say that it’s an opportunity for Duke to learn more.

1 Like

Were pretty close on strict OHP, im bench press dominant since I train it so much. Squat is where you dominate me. Your front squat is 120kg while my normal squat is is around that number. Ive never tried front squats.My wrists dont seem to want to bend into the proper position.

Alot of people have mobility issues when it comes to that. You could use a cross grip or straps.

Yeah your bench is really good man!

Do your shoulders not hurt when you put so much weight on them?

Not if the bar is positioned right. This video was really helpful for me:

With that though, and at a young age, THIS is the time to try something crazy and stupid and see how you survive it. Coming into Deep Water, I could also say “My knee can’t handle 10x10 squatting”. And it was true: it couldn’t. And then, by the end of the program, it could.

I felt the program was far more about surviving than thriving.

5 Likes

Agree 100%. I didn’t gain any insane strength or size on it (some obviously, but not a ton), but I did gain a lot more perspective on things and how far I like to go. I’ve always been a masochist with training. I hate doing it, but love the product. With DW, I always left the gym feeling like anyone there wasn’t working as hard as me. I left the gym everyday knowing I couldn’t have given anything else and would go do more. That’s the true essence of the program. That’s the juice.

Duke, you do what you want man. I get caught up a lot in my thoughts and ideas and forget I’m not everyone. This is your journey and experience. Do what you feel fit and I’ll chime in every now and then along the way. Glad you decided to take the plunge and hope you have a good run at this amazing program.

4 Likes

I’m always in a bad position on everything…fucking always. I was blissfully unaware of my physical dilemma until around 2013, and upon learning how messed up my body was, it really messed with me mentally. I think for years I was so self conscious in and outside the gym.

I’ve gotten so much stronger since then…way stronger than I ever thought I could be. Don’t sell yourself short, ever.

6 Likes

Sounds like you’d enjoy the early form of CrossFit :wink:

2 Likes

You’re strong as fuck dude. I don’t really let it affect me btw, like on yoke i have to position it perfectly or it’ll slide off because of my stupid upper back

Its all why we have always said all along if youre willing to read and buy into the mantra of “deep water” then youll get why its set out the way it is
If you honestly read it, then youll know about how resiliant the body is, and you cutting short sets or changing it around just makes it like any other program, hell you may as well use an eliteFTS program or 531, whatever

Deepwater is about reaching those points of pain, identifying them as your “portals” and letting go of anything you think you know better and to keep going through it.

If you read that as reckless or stupid, then id stop it and find something youll enjoy because its probably only a hobby which is fine, but the program is so much more then just getting stronger physically, but mentally as well.
Ive had huge growth in both but mentally has been the biggest adaptation for me, and its allowed my body to grow because of what i thought was my previous pain threshold, isnt even 5% of what I was capable of
I have no doubt you can do it, but Id reccommend reading it all first and understanding it before you go changing it man

I havent cutten sets short. The only thing i cut was when my abs severely cramped and i could no longer do any more core. Later on i finished my situps at home.

I’ve read the whole book twice now.
So i switched the back day with the shoulder day? So what. Im not messing my shoulder up by pressing twice in a row. And yeah theres one rest day in there (wednesday) but that’s there so i can train as hard as possible.

I think you guys are overreacting. I’m still doimg the exercises, im still doing 10×10. I just switched it to suit me

I do enjoy it. I like intensity and i like pain…

Incorrect. Training is my life and what i love. Im going to become a Pro strongman, aint nothing hobby about it

1 Like