RIP Shawn Rhoden

I like your analogy, and I can see how it could apply well to this and many other arguments. In general I agree.

If you haven’t watched the entire video I suggest you should. The point being made by Ron was, why are there so many bodybuilders dying “this year”?
Yes we have had surprise deaths every couple of years.
Yes its the drugs, especially the high mgs, and the number of different ones, and the fact they never really give their body a break from them… I don’t think most people in the industry would disagree.

The factor he suggests could well be influencing the large increase this year, which wasn’t around in previous years is the vaccines. Coincidence? Yes or No or Maybe?

Considering there are plenty of cases of Covid vaccines causing severe complications, and hospitalization, for blood clots, and or myocarditis in otherwise healthy adults(that have never touched steroids). It would be no surprise that a steroid abusing pro bodybuilder who was already a walking time bomb, would increase their chances of death by adding a Covid vaccine.

Take the vaccine out of the equation, and yes you’re still going to have these guys at extremely high risk, just as has been the case especially in the last decade or so.

I am open to suggestions and I’d love to here if there are any other reasons, not already mentioned that might point to why so many prominent bodybuilders are suffering life threatening episodes, or actual death, this year?

Great news. Did he have a health episode of some kind, or was it a total hoax?

Kali muscle got hospitalised too, heart attack.

How many have had episodes/have died this year vs the last several years?

Every couple of years…?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fitnessvolt.com/bodybuilders-passed-away/amp/%3Ffbclid=IwAR1jjUhoVscVy9-WgI-XwpnQyuTGQzqn0BHK_wn8kQ2wJAyadVcLTmVwKv0

28 bodybuilders from 2017-2020 isn’t exactly “every couple of years”. Of course, these aren’t all heart attacks - but there’s quite a few in the list.

1 Like

Its not a good comparison. Everyone dies eventually. Were talking about surprise deaths, premature, and usually without an obvious genetic predisposition.

Most of those deaths are age related, or accident or misadventure.

Less than 10 of those 28 could be definitely put down to direct recent use of PEDs, in people relatively young(less than 60)

It also doesn’t address why the increase in 2021.

???

Heart attacks, strokes are directly correlated with PED use.

There hasn’t been an increase. Bodybuilders have been dropping like flies for the past five years. Media coverage is now more widespread.

A death due to an accident or misadventure has nothing to do with covid either. As specified, you can think what you want re the vaccines… But to say they’re the reason bodybuilders are dropping is a massive stretch. Arash Rahbar said the same thing on his Instagram, I actually laughed out loud when I saw this

I personally know many, many medical professionals. I have knowledge of and have been to/completed work experience at the facility that manufactures covid-19 vaccines in Australia. I happen to believe many who discredit or believe some wide scale conspiracy is prevalent within the medical community probably don’t know many doctors, nor do they know people who oversaw the clinical trials, manufacturing and distribution of the vaccines.

There’s also the clinical trials, including non industry funded research. Covid vaccines generally lack a “no fault clause” in most countries. As a result governments tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to incredibly rare side effects.

Are covid vaccines more risky than contemporary vaccines? Marginally… However the argument “I won’t put that in my body” when many drink, smoke, take recreational drugs (or steroids), eat processed junk foods, soda etc… What a joke, if you’re SO risk averse to the point you’re worried about vaccine side effects you ought to be scared of driving a car too.

The vast majority of premature deaths related to bodybuilding relate to cardiovascular disease.

@flappinit you won’t find a huge difference in terms of death toll within bodybuilders. However there is preliminary evidence high dose AAS = unusually severe sickness if you catch covid, even in younger people.

There was one case report of a young man presenting with severe illness. He admitted to the doctors taking care of him that he was using oxandrolone and (I think) testosterone. They administered anti androgens and… His condition drastically improved very rapidly.

There have been a number of fitness models who have dropped from covid this year, but not from the vaccines. The clinical data showcases vaccines marketedly reduce the risk of hospitalisation and death. 90% reduction for both. Booster shot = another 90% reduction from that baseline. But no… It’s the vaccines killing bodybuilders? Where are people getting this from?

With Pfizer’s new antiviral drug, tripple jabbed + those pills would make covid less dangerous than the common cold.

In the Netherlands, where a fifth wave is occuring 93% of those in ICU are unvaccinated. But the vaccines don’t work… Right?

For young people, covid isn’t a big deal. The margin of difference between the risk of death when comparing someone who is below 18 vs above 45 is well over 100 fold. Can’t mount an adequate immune response when you’re older.

Covid binds to ACE II to enter various cells. AAS cause dysfunction of the RAAS. Not to mention the acute, subclinical deterioration in cardiac function while on, high blood pressure, autonomic dysfunction and more. If anything, being unvaccinated is more likely to kill a bodybuilder.

Anyone is free to disagree with me, though I will remain fairly arrogant on this subtopic given the people I know and the breadth of data I’ve had the opportunity to transverse. I don’t care whether people get vaccinated or not, but I find the “they’re dangerous” schtick to be tremendously irritating

How about this… if you believe this, fine… go about your day, but if you get sick and require hospitalisation and hospitals are filling up, stay home and drown if you develop ARDS. Drug addicts end up on the bottom of the list for organ transplants… this ought to be equitable… Or perhaps worse as a drug addict is frequently using to escape/deal with unfavorable variables. Addicts mat also base altered baseline deficiencies in neurotransmission. To a degree, it’s not always entirely the addicts fault. Provided said addict hadn’t robbed a bank, hurt their family or physically assaulted others they typically have my sympathy. Addiction is a disease, being against vaccines isn’t.

You’ve made the decision to not get vaccinated, if you happen to be unlucky then deal with that by yourself. It’s not hard to get vaccinated, and getting vaccinated potentially equates to less burden on hospitals. Those who took the effort to effectively armour themselves against severe illness ought to take priority.

I do believe however that PARENTS who refuse to vaccinate their children (barring covid vaccine as covid is minimally risky for kids) for basic, highly treatable yet dangerous diseases like polio, tetanus, mumps and measles ought to be punished if their child falls seriously ill as a result. Yes… That"s me siding with authoritarian constructs, however I don’t ideologically engrain myself within a specific manner of thinking. A child can’t consent to not wanting to be protected from serious illness.

This, to a degree is survival of the fittest. A fully vaccinated elderly individual is still far more likely to die than I am if they catch covid… Hell they might stroke out tomorrow regardless. I’m not trying to de-humanize anyone, but you can’t shut down society over this when almost everyone has gotten vaccinated. I can’t help but feel those who are so vehemently opposed to vaccines are simply insanely uninformed over this particular issue. Problem is, many don’t want to change their narrative even when confronted with the data… It’s all a conspiracy within the medical community. Anyone who knows anything about the way clinical trials are conducted will know there was no funny business going on. Hospitals were overflowing across the globe. That’s why a vaccine needed to be fast tracked.

I’m not a fan of mandates to do EVERYTHING, in Australia (my state at least) the unvaccinated can’t legally leave their house. That’s fucking insane, but in terms of hospitalisations, I’m not opposed to de prioritising them unless they’ve got a medical exemption explaining why they shouldn’t take the vaccines.

In the Netherlands, hospitals are filling up and doctors are having to scale back appointments and various elective procedures. No… Don’t do that, if 93% of ICU is unvaccinated, kick them out when vaccinated people come in (exemptions for children and teenagers). Don’t put off diagnostic procedures and elective procedures. Many brought this on themselves, they can reap the consequences.

Some on here are in favour of “harsh justice”… But you can’t be diametrically opposed here. That would mean you only favour authoritarian/punitive regime’s when the narrative suits you. Next time a 55y/old man turns up at hospital, he’s had seven months to get vaxxed but didn’t due to the “conspiracy within the medical community” (absolute bullshit by the way)… Send him home with some morphine to ease discomfort. If a spot opens up, call him to come back in. But the second the hospital fills up and room is needed for a vaccinated patient, someone having a heart attack etc… Kick him out again.

Being anti-authoritarian but pro mandates, permenant restrictions or pro lockdown is diametrically opposed and hypocritical, as it infers you only like the construct that suits you. Like the woke kids over here who believe in freedom of sexual expression (I believe in this to a degree), freedom pertaining to bodily autonomy… But they’re against allowing people to make a joke that isn’t PC, they’re against any form of weapon ownership, against the right to protest for causes that don’t ideologically align with the narratives they harbour and they advocate for the redistribution of wealth through the means of centralised government control. That’s hypocritical BS. On the other spectrum you have those that seem to like the idea of harsh justice and sometimes centralised control… But they’re super against vaccines “my body, you can’t tell me what to do!” But you can tell someone they can’t have a sex change, get an abortion (no matter the circumstance, if a woman is raped why on earth should she be subject to the trauma of carrying her rapists child to term?), take drugs/AAS or whatever.

A bit odd isn’t it? To take issue with the vaccines. No… You’re using your sense of morality to justify authoritarianism or libertarian constructs pertaining to the narrative you agree with. That or you can’t sway from the side you’ve picked, like a cult member at a idealistic, utopian commune sticking to the cause despite the foreseeable prospect of having to drink cyanide next week.

You might have a wet dream for harsh justice, media cencorship and crusading over societal constructs you don’t like… But vaccines!!! That’s where you need libertarianism as the consequences associated with getting vaccinated are worse than mass incarceration and forced assimilation? I want to point out this isn’t directed at anyone per se, just giving my thoughts.

The world doesn’t revolve around you. Look to academic literature and historical accounts within similar cultural paradigms as to ascertain which method of governance leads to a healthy, happy population in terms of covid policy. There is not a single modern society based around centralised control that has a very high reporter quality of life within the general population. On the other extreme, the same can be said. Pure libertarianism == anarchism, as a matter of fact if I recall correctly the concept of libertarianism initially gained ground through radical, Anarchist left wing groups. Look at South Africa for reference of “almost no law enforcement, a free for all”. That country is fucked… A middle ground like Canada, Norway, Israel works out fairly well.

Even one dose of the vaccine DRAMATICALLY reduces illness severity. One dose + having bad covid = fantastic immunity. Two doses + infection = even better. Get vaccinated… Or don’t… I don’t care

But don’t clog up hospitals during times of turmoil. You’ve brought this on yourself.

If you can tell… I’m not in a great mood lol…

Sorry for the rant, continue.

2 Likes

You didn’t even answer the main question.

How many bodybuilders per year have died of stroke/heart complications before this year, and how many have this year?

And eliminating people over 60? That’s a very young age in 2021 to make as a cutoff.

I counted 10 attributed to heart/stroke and a couple more with “unknown” causes of death.

It’s still more than your previous comment of “every couple of years”.

First, you have to come up with statistically significant numbers, and THEN we can deal with the fact that correlation does not imply causation.

1 Like

My genuine thoughts are - we reached critical mass.

Let us say the average life expectancy is 75 = - 5 years. So in your 70’s,

The guys doing this 30 years back in their 30’s took drugs that knocked 10 years off their lives.
The guys doing this 20 years back in their 30’s took drugs that knocked 20 years off their lives.
The guys doing this 10 years back in their 30’s took drugs that knocked 30 years off their lives.

Its an hypothesis that is based on nothing more than “guess work”. But I’ve saying it for years. The more the more extreme the drug use the more years lost. And you only have to look the progression of the sport to see PED use is only getting more extreme. At some point there will be a cross over guys doing gear in the 90’s will be dying at the same time as guy doing gear in 2010.

4 Likes

You tell me, if you know? Its also not like people who have never touched steroids don’t get heart attacks either. I’m not arguing that there isn’t a link between heart attacks and PED usage anyway.

Its not historically. Regardless of your health even a fit 60 year old today is suffering significant aging, compared to when they were 40, and is at more risk at dying.

You probably won’t see it if you watch mainstream media, but the amount of young adults in hospital from blood clotting disorders and or myocarditis has increased dramatically. Nurses who worked for decades and barely seen any cases in the young, now mentioning how prominent it is, and that it occurred after Covid vaccination.

Forgive me, but the standards you are trying to hold me to are much more stringent than the standards in argument that you have provided, an article about bodybuilder deaths in general over 4 years. It doesn’t come anywhere near statistical proof either way.

You could just as easily try to prove me wrong by researching statistics to show that I am wrong. I’m not even saying there is anything more than a correlation at the moment,.
Correlation does not necessarily imply causation by itself, but it would be foolish to dismiss it as a possibility before you look at the potential and evaluated it on its merits.

Usually, when someone makes a claim like “Coronavirus vaccines are directly causing deaths in bodybuilders”, it’s incumbent on them to provide the statistical evidence to support this. Not other people’s job to provide evidence to disprove it.

3 Likes

So it wasn’t the gallons of drugs they did over the years?

:rofl:

Ok.

2 Likes

I think one other thing to keep in mind is that Covid also causes myocarditis (seemingly at higher rates than the vax) and it isn’t clear that people who get it from the vaccine wouldn’t get it from corvid anyway. And everyone is going to get covid eventually.

1 Like

I believe this to be true. Thankfully with Pfizer’s new antiviral med, severe covid should soon become a thing of the past in first world countries.

There is no increase in bodybuilder deaths this year. It’s absolute Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. Frequency bias. “I bought a green Nissan Sentra, and holy cow, now there are dozens of them on the road.”

In 2013, Nasser El Sonbaty, Daniele Seccarecci, Greg Kovacs, Mat Duvall, and Terri Harris died from heart issues in their 40s. (Actually, Seccarecci was 30 and Harris was 50).

In 2014, Mike Matarazzo, Ed Van Amsterdam, Stoil Stoilov, and Vince Comerford died from heart issues in their 40s. (Comerford was 52).

With all that said, I’m kinda bummed that an “RIP Shawn Rhoden” thread never really got around to discussing or appreciating the guy himself and his Flex Wheeler-esque physique.

When he won, I really thought it signaled a switch back to appreciating aesthetics in pro bodybuilding.
Shawn-Rhoden-2018-Mr.-Olympia

10 Likes

I am convinced that AAS do have negative impacts on the heart, kidneys, liver, etc… However, that list did have a lot of death not related to AAS use (or hard to show AAS caused). Stuff like accidents, cancer, or guys like Columbo and Corney who were in their late 70s or in their 80s respectively. It also had a lot of BBers I have never heard of. The issue with that is we have a hard time figuring out how large the pool of people we are looking at is. It might be 10s of thousands of people if we are including low tier BBers. If that is the case, the 10-15 or so that died early doesn’t seem so dire.

I am a firm believer that on average the dose (and duration and just overall size of the BBer) has a huge impact on the scale of health issues down the road. I do think that the emergence of the mass monster and the drugs needed to get to that are responsible for a higher rate of death among competitors as many are trying to become that mass monster to be competitive.

1 Like

…what? You’re asking why there’s a statistically significant amount of dead bodybuilders this year. I’m asking what that amount is. If you don’t know, then you shouldn’t be asking a question that is based on that.

Okay, so what’s “mainstream media”, what’s your source countering that, and what are the figures you’re referring to?

I’m not holding you to any stringent standards. I even said, when I posted it, the deaths aren’t all from heart attacks. It was me illustrating that your statement of “every couple of years” was false. It was.

2 Likes

Having followed this thread I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned the effects of anabolic steroids on the brain. A range of studies show AS leading to anxiety/depression, cognitively impairment and brain aging. I find this even more interesting than the risk of cardiac related disease.

Why? Because if you mess with your ability to make (wise) decisions, chances are you will be more prone making mistakes (bad decisions). Now this is a side effect to be reckoned with, as the user will be completely unaware of it, until it’s too late.

As a side note, I have personally seen real issues with depression, with AS as a great promoter.

2 Likes

Sorta a chicken and egg thing. Are the folks that are inclined to abuse anabolic in the first place the kind of folks we traditionally consider well adjusted?

2 Likes

If we could get accurate bodybuilder death data, we could easily see if there is a statistical difference in 2020 (and 2021 when the year is complete).
A MTBF (in this case “mean time between deaths”) Control Chart would help to see if 2020 is noise or a signal. Note variable data is superior to discrete data

1 Like

Are you trying to imply perhaps those willing to slam grams of tren aren’t well adjusted?

Well… I’m shocked… absolutely flabbergasted by this revelation!!!