Return of the Marine - CDMac's WTF to do next log

My last sets this week @90% of TMs (5/3/1+ week) were:

OHP 140x11
DL 275x21
Bench 190x12
Squat 260x (TBD)

It’s changed over the years and you’ll see 85% or even 80% for some of the templates. I’m using 80% now and it’s light but I’m forcing myself to do some high rep PR sets.

That’s why I used lower percentages for those TMs. The higher your e1RM was, the lower percentage I used. 85% for bench which resulted in a 25 lb jump—and that’s partly because 225 is such a nice number. If you’re about to do 260 for 15+ reps on squat then I think you can handle 315 for 1+ the next to around. I’m just trying to help you stay under 10 reps on your PR sets!

I guess you could do the math backwards. Pick a number that would equal or beat your best e1RM and figure out which weight you need to do 10 times to get it. Add 5% and that’s your new TM lol!

Example:
Goal e1RM = 400 lbs
300 x 10 x 0.0333 + 300 = 400
300 / 95% = 315 = new TM

Man, my log is all jacked up… I need to fix some stuff.

I think I copied and pasted some things and it’s not jiving with what I have in my gym log.

for this, I thank you my friend!!

Without doing any math and knowing your reps for these I’d probably just pick some bigger numbers that are still going to be too light, but reasonable.

OHP 155
Bench 225 b/c I like round meat head numbers
Deadlift 365 or 385
Squat 335

3 Likes

OK, my dumb ass was looking at my spreadsheet for my next cycle when I copied and pasted out the TMs I just listed above.

For clarity, here’s what I’m working on now:

OHP 135
Deadlift 285
Bench 200
Squat 270

I like the round meathead numbers too so I like that idea!

2 Likes

Man, J hooked it up here! Maybe during the deload go in and hit those numbers for 3-5 and see how they feel, then adjust as needed as to not be killin yourself.

2 Likes

@cdmac24 Yeah, @Frank_C 's second post with the upped TMs is where I’d go, the idea of 3rm’s is also a good one (it’s what I personally did to check and make sure stuff was on point, and I don’t find the 3rm really that taxing)

These numbers are ones you wouldn’t have any problems hitting based on your rep PRs, in my opinion.

Pitter, patter, let’s get at 'er!

3 Likes

C1/W6/D4 - Friday 12/15/2017

weight: 178.0

Warmup:

• Defranco’s Nimble 11
  • Hang / deep squat / hang (30-60 seconds each)
  • Band pulls, shoulder mobility
  • Pre-Squat primer
    • A1. Alternating over-head medball side slams, 2-3 reps per side
    • A2. Depth vertical jump from box, 1 rep

Squat:
205x5
230x5
260x16

Video:

Superset assistance lifts
Leg Press 5x10 @270
Leg Curl 5x10 @80
face pulls 5x20 @20 (cable machine)

NOTES:

• No video last week but we have video today
  • Well, I didn’t feel all that great today
  • Routine slightly off as I had to workout later than usual
    • Had to take my dog to vet to get neutered (poor lil dude)
    • Was in gym from 1030 - 1130 instead of 1st thing sometime between 0630 - 0900
    • My mojo was off and I didn’t have much energy
    • I wanted to just leave after squat but forced myself to do assistance and I’m glad I did (good work)
4 Likes

I’m out all weekend - traveling to Cali to see the Raiders / Cowboys game.

My sister is a Oakland diehard with season tix and I am a diehard Cowboys fan so it’s a good excuse to go visit her!

Catch y’all next week.

4 Likes

Sounds like an awesome trip. Have fun!

Thanks, man. Had a great trip and Cowboys pulled out a crazy Sunday Night football game.
Best part was seeing my sister though.

I’m back in action this week and will be getting to the gym to work out my TMs for next cycle.

Do you think a progression like the following is a good one to work up to a 3RM?

• Set 1: ~40% x 8
  • Set 2: ~50% x 5
  • Set 3: ~60% x 3
  • Set 4: ~70% x 3
  • Set 5: ~80% x 3
  • Set 6: ~90% x 3
  • Set 7: ~100% x 3
    sets 8+ if I feel like 100% x 3 is too low?

I’ve seen this progression mentioned for working up to a 1RM so was going to use it to work up to 3RM and wondered if I should adjust anything (less reps, sets, or weight)?

1 Like

I think that’ll work just fine but don’t be afraid to jump more than 10% if it looks like you’re going to need a lot of sets to find your 3RM.

When I ran CT’s Layers Program one of the exercises was to work up to a 2RM and then you used that as your TM for the day to determine weights for the rest of the workout. Anyway, he said you should hit your 2RM in 3-5 sets after your warm-up. Maybe shoot for your 3RM on set #5 or 6?

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea!

I’ll do warmup (40/50/60%) and then maybe 75/90/100% and add a set or two if needed or make bigger/smaller jumps based on how the weight feels.

2 Likes

Good approach. It’ll be different for each lift. If you only follow percentages then you could have increases that are too small for bench and OHP and too big for squat and deadlift.

Nice work man! That set of 16 must of been brutal!

1 Like

Thanks brother. You know, it was definitely the hardest set I’ve had this cycle (any lift) but it wasn’t absolutely horrible either. I think my peri-workout nutrition is much better than it used to be and I don’t get nearly as sore with the DOMS like I used to after a good leg session. I’m not hitting a ton of volume overall right now though but all in all, it gassed me but didn’t destroy me.

Truth be told, I wanted to hit 20 but just didn’t feel like I had the energy to push through it and didn’t want to push form breakdown too much to suffer any injury.

2 Likes

Yeah I feel you on that! Better to leave reps in the tank.

How do you like the Triumvirate? I think I’m gonna switch my assistance template to basically that next week because I can feel my joints hurting from just too many things lol. I’d rather just do 1 main lift and 2-3 assistance and get the hell out. I’d rather get more out of less that’s for sure.

So far so good man.

I plan to switch to something with more volume later but I’m going to run Triumvirate for one more 7 week cycle before I do.

I really like it for the exact reasons you mention; low joint stress, get in, get out, and simplicity.

I definitely need to add some other things in later but for getting back into a regular training routine and regaining previous strength levels, it’s been a great plan to follow.

In case you hadn’t caught all my plans for 2018, I’m going to run one more 7 week cycle of Triumvirate and then run Beyond 1.1 and 1.2 followed up by Beach Body Challenge.

That gets me to mid 2018 and the end of the T-ransformation 2018 challenge and then I’m thinking I’d like to try some of CTs BB stuff.

I’ve been keeping an eye on your Oly lifts and it’s been impressive to see your progress.

1 Like

Nice man! I did Beach Body Challenge for 2 weeks last year. That’s a perfect template for summer time or right before summer time to hit. The simplicity and the cleans will get your lungs going. I wasn’t really serious last year, so didn’t last longer than 2 weeks lol.

I’m going to use that template too for 6 weeks before summer hits. Only difference is it will be power cleans and power snatches.

Good stuff so far man, a lot of your muscle memory is coming back. Keep killin it!

1 Like