Republican Party Diversity

Jonah Goldberg at NRO makes a fabulous point on the relative diversity of the Republican and Democratic parties, which is below. True diversity is a diversity of views and perspective, not of melanin or testosterone levels…

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NzIxM2RhMjg2OTkzZjhkZDE2MzhiNWY3Y2Q0ZGMzM2E=

[i]It’s A Big Tent After All [Jonah Goldberg]

I know I’ve made this point before, but it bears repeating, so I shall repeat it. For decades now, there’s been a steady drumbeat of bleating over the fact that the GOP isn’t a “big tent.” Usually the New York Times meant this as “the Republicans don’t agree with us on abortion.” But the criticism had other connotations as well, including the notion that the party was too beholden to the free market, to gun groups, whatever. Again, the subtext is often “your party is too beholden to its coalition when it would be much better if it was more beholden to our coalition.”

Anyhow, here we have the GOP field: a pro-choice, pro-gay rights, etc, etc, is the frontrunner in the national polls. The frontrunner in the New Hampshire and Iowa polls, is a former pro-choice Mormon, former governor of one of the most famously liberal states whose healthcare policies are reminiscent (at the state level) of Hillary Clinton’s. Then there’s John McCain, a pro-campaign finance reform, industry regulating, and amnesty supporting opponent of tax cuts who not long ago graced the cover of the New Republic as perhaps the best nominee the Democrats could have. Fred Thompson opposes the human life amendment, but is a supporter of a states’ rights approach to abortion. The rising star on the right is Mike Huckabee who displays little love for the free market, and considerable love of tax hikes. His feelings toward federalism seem to be the opposite of Thompson’s. Oh and there’s that Ron Paul guy who has the support of many of the most fired up activists and he wants to pull-up America’s stakes around the globe and cut the size of government by 18 trillion percent.

But, ah yes, the Democratic Party is the party of real diversity – defined as a black, an Hispanic, a Southern white guy, and a woman who all believe pretty much the exact same thing. [/i]

What, only 18 trillion? Communist!

Nice find, BB. Pretty scary that the only guy on either side who apparently DOESN’T want to increase the size of the government is the so-called radical, looney whack-job, etc…

You’re right, the Republican party does attract a lot of whacko’s. I don’t know if that’s something to be proud off.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
You’re right, the Republican party does attract a lot of whacko’s. I don’t know if that’s something to be proud off.[/quote]

It attracts diverse perspectives and thinkers - not that I’m surprised that liberals wouldn’t want that.

When you have a group that thinks it knows what’s best for everyone and has no reservation about using state power to enforce it, it’s not really surprising that dissenting opinions wouldn’t be brooked - but that just makes the paeans to “diversity” all the more ironic.