Remember When..

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i remember when i weighed 170 and i was looking in the mirror like “id be jacked if i was 180”

[/quote]

Lol, I remember thinking I’d look jacked at 210, and again at 240. The latest arbitrary weight is 270. Still working on it.

I remember the ‘cool’ guy with the big arms and ponytail at the local vitamin shop selling me Vanadyl Sulfate Pills. I thought they’d really put some size on me.

I had never in my life been able to swallow a pill, not aspirin, not a vitamin, nothing… but I wanted to be huge so badly that the first pill I ever downed in my entire life to that point was the little blue EAS Vanadyl 7.5 mg tab.

S

Back in the 70’s, I remember watching ABC’s Wide World of Sports with my dad and brother. We’d watch coverage of the Mr Olympia when Arnold or Frank Zane were tops. My brother and I used to call them “the shiny guys” because of the posing oil. lol

Been hooked on and off since.

Excellent thread!

Really helps put things in perspective, which is something sorely needed in this day and age of internet “experts”.

I remember feeling like I just ate thanksgiving dinner 24 hours a day.

I remember gaining my first 10 lbs then my first 20 lbs then my first 40 lbs and i’m still working on my first 50 lbs.

I remember when people actualy started asking me for advice in the gym insead of me constantly asking other people for advice.

I remember the weird looks I got from other people in the gym while doing dumbell snatches.

I also remember when PMing X about burgers.

Soon after, I started to grow. If only people write an article telling others to stop worrying about abs for a little bit.

I remember the first time I attempted to bench 225lbs and my mom was spotting me and I got buried by it… she continues to tell that story at every family gathering.

And the first time I was curling 135, the same weight some guys were benching with a spot.

I remember the first time I squatted with 3 plates

I remember the big guy we called “The House” teaching me the fine art of deadlifting

I remember the first time I used chalk

I remember the looks I got when I first deadlifted 4 plates

I remember the first time I couldn’t walk because my legs were too sore

I remember benching 3 plates

I remember waking up in the power rack once

Joining a gym and benching for 5 reps so I could put 35s on the bar instead of the small 25s.

HMB by EAS sucking ass
V2G or is it K by EAS

Phosphagen HP being the shit.

[quote]Brett295 wrote:

I remember the weird looks I got from other people in the gym while doing dumbell snatches. [/quote]

Haha that happened to me today.

damn, im pretty sure i was benching 135 in my first days of training

i also overtrained my very first time training, so fuck all you people who think its impossible to overtrain.

first time i worked out i did those forearm roll up things. anyway i kept pushing myself to get it up b/c my friend said i had to do X amount and i took his word as the infailable truth so i did that. and the next morning i woke up and my left forearm swole to about 3x the size of my right one. i wore my left sleeve up and my right sleeve down that day so people thought i was jacked lol.

i also overtrained my very first time training, so fuck all you people who think its impossible to overtrain.

first time i worked out i did those forearm roll up things. anyway i kept pushing myself to get it up b/c my friend said i had to do X amount and i took his word as the infailable truth so i did that. and the next morning i woke up and my left forearm swole to about 3x the size of my right one. i wore my left sleeve up and my right sleeve down that day so people thought i was jacked lol.[/quote]

LMAO! what?! You can’t overtrain in my book, just under-recuperate

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

first time i worked out i did those forearm roll up things. anyway i kept pushing myself to get it up b/c my friend said i had to do X amount and i took his word as the infailable truth so i did that. and the next morning i woke up and my left forearm swole to about 3x the size of my right one. i wore my left sleeve up and my right sleeve down that day so people thought i was jacked lol.

LMAO! what?! You can’t overtrain in my book, just under-recuperate[/quote]

right, cause i just made that story up

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I remember the ‘cool’ guy with the big arms and ponytail at the local vitamin shop selling me Vanadyl Sulfate Pills. I thought they’d really put some size on me.

I had never in my life been able to swallow a pill, not aspirin, not a vitamin, nothing… but I wanted to be huge so badly that the first pill I ever downed in my entire life to that point was the little blue EAS Vanadyl 7.5 mg tab.

S
[/quote]

That speaks huge to me because i still cant swallow pills and I want to be able to.Acouple years ago my buddy had to give me the heimlich after a took an advil.I have choked on pills my whole life it sucks.

I remember being skinny and choking on Pinnacle Pyruvate because i wanted to be ripped.

I remember acouple of my buddies coming over and my dad having 315 in the bar and them squatting it like it was easy and me getting burried.

I remember cybergenics

I remember benching 185,205 and 225 for reps.

I remember DLing 3 plates

i remember avoiding squats like they were the plague

I remember my pants fitting a little tighter bacause i started squatting

I remember this time when i was 18 after high school at my buddies house during the summer and this girl Allison who I liked in high school not being able to take her eyes off me and telling i was looking good (because i had been hitting the weights).

I remember doing ab work every day

I remember my dad and I sharing bottles of phosphage hp after the supplement review guide came out.

But most of all I remember working out in my basement when i was 16 with my dads weights looking at the Arnold posters on the wall thinking this is all i fucking care about,and it still is.

you worked out with your dad? thats kinda cool like the passing of the torch and shit.

you worked out with your dad? thats kinda cool like the passing of the torch and shit.[/quote]

yeah my dad was definetly my inspiration he had books by arnold and franco and the original golds gym enyclopedia.My old man has lifted weights since he was like 14 and he still does to this day.He is allways asking me how’s the gym going you make any new lifts and when ever i havnt gone in a while he gets all disapointed.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
you worked out with your dad? thats kinda cool like the passing of the torch and shit.

yeah my dad was definetly my inspiration he had books by arnold and franco and the original golds gym enyclopedia.My old man has lifted weights since he was like 14 and he still does to this day.He is allways asking me how’s the gym going you make any new lifts and when ever i havnt gone in a while he gets all disapointed.[/quote]

my dad used to do like Men’s Health type of workouts

he always ate chicken and rice, like anytime id go over to his house he had us eat chicken and rice and he had “special” hotdogs at the cookouts i never really knew why until now though.

i used to running with him when i was like 12, i did a 5k and stuff.

he used to be a personal trainer too i think he got certified through ACSM and thats who he reccomended i go through, but things just didnt work out, i spent $400 on a 3-day workshop course that i thought included a test but it didnt. yeah.

i dont think he really cares that i lift now though.

horsepuss wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

yeah my dad was definetly my inspiration he had books by arnold and franco and the original golds gym enyclopedia.My old man has lifted weights since he was like 14 and he still does to this day.He is allways asking me how’s the gym going you make any new lifts and when ever i havnt gone in a while he gets all disapointed.

my dad used to do like Men’s Health type of workouts

he always ate chicken and rice, like anytime id go over to his house he had us eat chicken and rice and he had “special” hotdogs at the cookouts i never really knew why until now though.

i used to running with him when i was like 12, i did a 5k and stuff.

he used to be a personal trainer too i think he got certified through ACSM and thats who he reccomended i go through, but things just didnt work out, i spent $400 on a 3-day workshop course that i thought included a test but it didnt. yeah.

i dont think he really cares that i lift now though.[/quote]

Me and my old man didnt really work out together because he would get up at like 5 and lift and run around and jump rope but he is the reason i got into it.I remember this one time when i was a kid I had this friend named mat who had these huge forearms and still does he is the champ armwrestler at his weight,but any way mat was at my house and he flexed his forearms in front of my dad and my dad pulled his sleeves up and flexxed his and we were both like holy shit especially me because my dad is really conservative he never really did shit like that.

I remember discovering this site about 9 years ago and thinking I had found the Holy Grail.

I still think that way.

Great thread.

I also remember the looks I got when doing dumbbell snatches lol :slight_smile: