Remember When..

Remember when you were new to this?

When you watched the huge guys and took some of the things they did?

When you made your own routine because you didn’t have anyone or anything to make one for you?

When you experimented after finding new exercises?

When you found out that more/less reps/sets did better?

When you realized you needed to stop counting and just fucking EAT?

When you gained your first 50 pounds?

When you finally hit the 3/4/5 club?

What?
…You don’t remember?

Hopefully you’ll get the point of this post.

you saying people loose sight of their humble origins beacuse their heads so far up their own arse they can only see forward out of their braying gobs?
some people come off like that sometimes

Yeah, you always forget your genesis. I’m busting my ass to put the 140s in the air on the flat DB bench and FUCK! I get them in position and get buried at the 3rd rep. I rack them and drop to the 70s for a set till failure. I get pissed at myself for being weak and for my fucking height. Sometimes, after staring in mirror and zoning out, I realize where the I started.

A chubby kid that couldn’t stabilize the 35lbers that stared in awe at the guys throwing up the 80lbers. The mass came, the strength too, sacrifices were made, the calories were consumed, and gradually I’m began to reach the behemoth I visualize and strive to become only to set an even higher standard when that goal is met.

yeah, i remember it like it was yesterday

oh wait

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:

What?
…You don’t remember?

Hopefully you’ll get the point of this post.
[/quote]

Something tells me the people this is directed to all have their earmuffs on.

I remember when squatting 225 for a max lift.

I remember using the decline bench to stroke my ego because I couldn’t do 135 on a regular flat bench…and even then I cheated myself with form…

I remember when I didn’t even deadlift because it hurt.

I recall the first time I sqatted over 400lbs for reps

I recall using 135 to stretch and ‘get the blood flowing’ before my workout even started.

I recall cranking out reps with over 500lbs on the bar…bending like a f*ckin horshoe as I deadlift it off the floor.

I remember using the words ‘throw another plate on there’ compared to ‘I hope to lift a full plate on there’

I look forward to putting the number 5 in front of all my numbers for the big three… and possibly even a 6 someday if I’m blessed…

I look forward to having my name amongst the gods, the legends, the supreme beings in bodybuilding and weight lifting as a sport in general.

I look forward to the haters…

So what have you done? Where are you at? and last but not least… Where are you going?

I think I get the point of this post…and I like it.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Something tells me the people this is directed to all have their earmuffs on.[/quote]

Me too.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
So what have you done? Where are you at? and last but not least… Where are you going?

[/quote]

Yep. I hate it when those who have barely achieved anything spout advice about getting big or those who NEVER think for themselves anymore.

I remember when I thought it was so damn hardcore to see some lifters do shoulder presses with the 3plate dumbbells.

I remember when I was impressed watching a “jacked dude” repping 315 in the shrugs.

I remember when I approached every big guy in the gym that gave me mixed opinions, and came to the same conclusion that there are many ways to increase muscle mass.

…when I began to be more perceptive, and distinguish between the truth and just plain bullshit.

…when I already knew if people knew what they were talking about, or if they just were some of those guys that had 19"+ arms and shrinked for some reason.

…the first time I put 4 plates in the DL, 3 in the squat and 2 in the bench.

…when I followed the simple advice of eating more than I spent and lifting heavy, which made me increase my bodyweight by more than 45 pounds.

When I learned from 90% of my questions on T-Nation forums, instead of learning from 50%- and the other 50%+ dealing with pricks.

That last one from DG: I’m going to a point where I have reached my maximum potential, without incurring onto abuses that increase slightly my benefits and double my side effects.

I remember when the mountain in the distance looked like green carpet…

Now I see more mountains of green carpet in the distance…

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
I remember when squatting 225 for a max lift.

I remember using the decline bench to stroke my ego because I couldn’t do 135 on a regular flat bench…and even then I cheated myself with form…

I remember when I didn’t even deadlift because it hurt.

I recall the first time I sqatted over 400lbs for reps

I recall using 135 to stretch and ‘get the blood flowing’ before my workout even started.

I recall cranking out reps with over 500lbs on the bar…bending like a f*ckin horshoe as I deadlift it off the floor.

I remember using the words ‘throw another plate on there’ compared to ‘I hope to lift a full plate on there’

I look forward to putting the number 5 in front of all my numbers for the big three… and possibly even a 6 someday if I’m blessed…

I look forward to having my name amongst the gods, the legends, the supreme beings in bodybuilding and weight lifting as a sport in general.

I look forward to the haters…

[/quote]

That almost put a tear in my eye, bro sniff (its something in my eye.) Arm day, shall begin on that note! For the time the first time any of us shyly did a double bicep pose in front of a mirror. For the first time, I grabbed the 50lbers and called my first working set on alt. DB curls, and for the first time that my arms cramped for no apparent reason. GB out! Lets get some more of these going this thread is kicking ass!!

I remember when I ditched the old bodybuilding.com workouts.

I remember when I realized that Squats and Deadlifts arent the only leg exercises.

I remember when I overhead pressed my bodyweight.

I remember asking for advice from experts, trusting that advice and then applying it.

I remember when I finally stopped caring about being able to see my abs.

I remember when I realized it’s not how much weight I do on squats but how deep I go (then how much weight). I had to realy swallow some pride when I started squating past parallel.

I remember seeing the ‘huge’ guys in the college weight room benching 2 plates a side.

I remember buying Weider Protein chewables and thinking that popping a couple after each workout would make me huge by the end of the term.

I remember eating egg white omlettes thinking this is what all the pros do with no clue that I wasn’t getting anywhere near enough calories to even maintain my puny 150 lb frame.

I remember the first time I had to buy a Large t-shirt because the Medium was finally too tight in the shoulders.

I remember the first time I benched 185 lbs, more than I weighed at the time, and thinking I was well on my way.

I remember getting buried in the power cage when I tried squatting 385 lbs for the first time (I later got close to 600, but who’s counting -lol)

I remember discovering deadlifts and thinking it was the missing ingredient that was keeping me from getting huge.

I remember the morning after my first deadlift session, I missed all my classes because I couldn’t get out of bed. My roomate seriously considered calling an ambulance.

I remember the first time I tried a ketogenic diet (this was before the internet!). I figured that the sooner I depleted all my glycogen, the sooner I’d be ripped. I spent 4 hours on the treadmill and then went to my girlfriends’ parents house for the weekend, armed with pepperoni and beef jerky, the only foods I thought I’d be eating. Again, the people around me ended up seriously considering calling an ambulance -lol.

And lastly… I remember running into a very attractive girl I knew in high school, about 10 years after graduation, one day on the Long Island railroad. I was wearing a short sleeve polo shirt and khakis (sporting some good bicep veins -lol). I graduated high school weighing 150 lbs. I had gotten up to about 210 at this point. She recognized me and said “so, you’ve been working out… it looks good” :slight_smile:

S

As a newbie, this is great stuff to read.
If only i could filter out all the bullshit.

[quote]WILSIAN wrote:
As a newbie, this is great stuff to read.
If only i could filter out all the bullshit.[/quote]

What bullshit? Its all pretty solid.

I remember maxing out at 135 on the bench, and now I use that weight plus some on my working sets for curls.

I remember when I finally started to eat a high protein, high calorie diet and soon after gained 40 solid pounds.

I remember when I only bench pressed for 6 months straight 4 times per week. With a pec injury soon after I learned about proper rest and that I needed to train my whole body to look good.

I remember when I quit the football team and only concentrated on lifting. The new gains were incredible, and it was such a good decision.

I remember the day when something clicked inside my head that said “hey I’m becoming a professional bodybuilder and the strongest mother fucker on the planet no matter what, I don’t care if I have no support from anybody, I’m going to do this.” Even though I do have support.

I remeber being a freshman in high school and looking at how strong I thought the football coach was for doing a few reps on the bench with 295. Now I can do more than him.

I remeber when I realized that with consistancy you can accomplish your wildest dreams plus some.

I remember now that I need to eat, train my pathetic calves, and go to bed.

i remember when i weighed 170 and i was looking in the mirror like “id be jacked if i was 180”

i remember when i used to take multivitamins

i remember when i used to do cardio

i remember getting 5 reps with 225 and thinking “im finally getting somewhere”

Growing boy,

I mean all the bullshit on other threads.
Good to see you jump on me so quick though;)

[quote]WILSIAN wrote:
Growing boy,

I mean all the bullshit on other threads.
Good to see you jump on me so quick though;)[/quote]

No, no, no lad didn’t jump on you. I feel that I can write well enough that my written voice would indicate that I was jumping on you. I agree, there is some fecal threads out there.

I spend more time reading here than i do posting, so i’m a little rusty. It’s been a good read this thread, period.

I remember not being able to do 135 for a rep on the bench.

I remember my first leg workout and how I could barely walk out of the gym (and I hadn’t even done a single squat)

I remember deadlifting for the first time and feeling like I finally felt like I was on the good side.

I remember hitting 225 for the first time on the bench.

I remember 3 plates on the deadlift…the first time I had ever put 3 plates on anything. I remember how amazing that felt, and nothing has rivaled that feeling yet…until I get 4 for reps.

I remember hitting 200 lbs for the first time.

I remember the first time I could start adding weight to my back for dips and pull ups.

I remember the first time I REALLY busted my ass in the gym, and how good I felt that I gave it my all.

I remember the times when I finally understood my body for the first time…how many calories I needed, what exercises worked and what didn’t…and coming to those realizations on my own through careful observation rather than by fanboy ideology.