Reaching Goals to Compete in First Strongman Competition

That sounds rough. How did you do in the competition? Any advice?

I ended up placing third in my weight class(220-, weighed in at 219.4lbs), My log has all the events and a general recap if you wanna look at how everything went down
My advice would be to make sure you have some practice with the implements they will be using for the comp you are competing in, learning the proper technique beforehand instead of on the fly(Which I did, for the most part) will be a huge game changer. Also, if the events are timed, do not hesitate and dont stop trying to move that weight until times up. I missed out on a few reps here and there because I still had time left but didnt think i could do anymore
Bring plenty of water, pedialyte, gatorade, caffeine, etc on game day, it will be a long day and you will need to stay energized and hydrated. Food too if you can stomach it, im never able to eat during comps, but i always bring food just in case.

Well, I have been kind of slack with recording training. I have been taking it cool recently because of my back. It’s finally feeling pretty good. I have two weeks until my powerlifting competition, so I am doing a semi-5/3/1 setup for bench and deadlift to sort of peak for the competition. Basically I estimated a max based on my rep work. I did this before a competition two years ago and it worked pretty well.

Wedensday Jan. 24
Bench
200x5
230x5
260x5

Paused Front Squats
Worked up with 3 reps

Then yesterday Jan. 27
Deadlift
265x5
305x5
345x2 My back felt a little funny on these so I stopped and moved to front squats

Paused Front Squats
135x3
155x3
185x3
205x3

Did some suitcase holds with a 70lb dumbbell in between sets. My abs were killing me after all these.

I also bought me an ab wheel. I am gonna start doing these a lot to build up ab strength. That is usually my issue when I start having back pain. Ab strength and not overworking myself.

Bench Press
215x3
245x3
275x3

Did some back squats to hold over until the competition
135x5
185x4
225x3
275x2
315x1
345x1

Then I experimented with some box front squats
135x3
135x3
155x3
185x2
185x3

These felt really good. I think they will have some pretty good carryover to deadlifts and events like atlas stones. I am gonna post my workout plan for after the competition on the 10th.

So this is gonna be my training plan for the foreseeable future. It’s based on 5/3/1 and it holds to my goals and such.

Training will be 3x a week in order to promote recovery. I might move to 4x a week in the future but for now I want to be safe rather than sorry.

Day 1
Deadlift 5/3/1 Setup
Then First Set Last for 3x5

Paused Oly Style Front Squats
Pick a weight and go up 10lbs every set until I can’t get 5 reps.
Superset with:
Ab wheel Rollouts

Day 2:
Bench 5/3/1 Setup w/Band pull aparts between sets
Then First Set Last for 3x5

Box Front Squats in flat shoes 3 rep sets
Pick a weight and go up by 10lbs every set until I can’t get three reps.
Superset with:
Suitcase Holds

Day 3:
5 Total sets of sandbag clean and press
Superset with:
Pullups

Then I have some fun and just do a bodybuilding day for assistance/joint health.
Just Pick some exercises from among these
Curls
Skull Crushers
“Back and Forth” Shoulder Presses
Leg Curls
Dumbbell Flyes
Rows
Calf Raises

I am hoping this 3 day setup will work well for me. I am currently on a caloric deficit. A few weeks ago I was around 310. I weighed 300.4 this morning. I am trying to shoot for the 198lb class by September of 2019. I am trying to hit 242 by this September for a powerlifting competition.

After that, I will reverse diet to find my maintenance calories for 242. Then I will start another cut to get down to the 200 mark. So being in a caloric deficit kind of necessitates the 3x per week training.

I worked on deadlifts today. All of these sets are double overhand and beltless
285x3
325x3
365x3
385x1
315x3 Paused just below the knee

Then I did some curls and skull crushers to get some blood flowing in the elbows.
45x10,10
55x10,10
65x3x10,10

If you want blood flow to the elbows then cable tricep extensions with a rope are a much better alternative then the skullcrushers.