Reaching Goals to Compete in First Strongman Competition

Squat
5x6@225 (65%)

Bench
9x2@235 (85%)

Deadlift
6x4@290 (75%)

Had to do this workout a day early due to scheduling conflicts tomorrow. Days 7 and 8 of each wave are back to back lifting days, so I will just place an active rest day between those two to compensate for my change in the program today.

Front Squat
9x2@175 (85%)

Strict Overhead Press
6x4@135 (75%)

Power Clean
5x6@135 (65%)

I had to do this workout really fast today. Did the whole thing with a warmup in around 45 minutes. So I guess I got a little conditioning as a byproduct.

Squat
6x4@260 (75%)
Superset with leg curls
Bench
5x6@185 (65%)
Superset with one arm dumbbell rows
Deadlift
9x2@330 (85%)

The squats and sumo deadlifts with hook grip felt really good. Tweaks to my form are really coming together. When I am doing sumo deadlifts I grab the bar and move all my weight to my heels and pull the slack out of the bar. The pull feels really good compared to conventional.

Front Squats w/ pause
5x6@135(65%)

Superset:
Strict Press
9x2@150 (85%)
with
Cyclist Squats same weight

Squat
9x2@315

Bench
6x4@225

Deadlift
5x6@275

Some Posterior Chain Hypertrophy work
5 rounds Giant Set
Barbell Good Morning 10x135
Leg Curl 60x10
One Arm Dumbbell Row 70x10

Front Squat
6x4@165

Overhead Press
5x6@120

Did one 15yd carry with a 175lb sandbag after every working set. Tried to work on speed in both picking up the bag and traveling the distance. By the end I was able to pick up the bag and start running without having to lap it. I want to get good with these because I heard if you can pick up a sandbag and run with it, then atlas stones and kegs are no problem.

Squat
5x6@245

Bench
9x2@255

Deadlift
6x4@315

Split the deadlift sets in half. Did three sets sumo and three sets conventional. My conventional deadlift always feels better the more I pull sumo.

Some Posterior chain work
Giant Set
Seated Good Morning 10 reps
135, 155, 185
Barbell Row 10 reps
135, 155, 185
Single Leg Curl 10 reps
35, 35, 35

Then did 40 more total reps of 185lb barbell rows

Yesterday’s Training

Front Squat
9x2@185

Strict Press
6x4@140

All of these sets were supersetted with a 15yd sandbag carry with 175lb sandbag

Squat
6x4@280

Bench
5x6@205

Deadlift
9x2@355

Deadlifts felt terrible. I had heartburn/acid reflux during them and it literally hurt in my chest just to setup for the deadlifts. But I did them anyways. The first eight sets were conventional. Then I went stupid and did an ugly single @405 doing sumo. Then I went back to 355 and did the last set of 2 sumo. I dont know why I do stupid stuff.

@garrison074 Im training for two strongman comps right now(one in a week and another mid april) will be checking in on your log and looking forward to seeing your progress. Best of luck with training for your upcoming meet!

@theonecamko Good to have you along for the ride.

If there is any info about my training or something like that just ask. I usually keep my workout info pretty basic on here so far.

1 Like

Some posterior chain work
Giant Set
Seated Good Morning 10 reps
Barbell Row 10 reps
One Arm One Leg Deadlift 70lbs
Bodyweight Reverse Hyper
5,5,5 very slow reps

Then
Seated GM 10@185

Then I did a variation of barbell row where I alternate between my sumo and conventional stances/grip and do 50 total rows at 185. The rowing motion is a combination of a row with knee extension. Basically a row/deadlift hybrid. It felt really good. Hopefully there will be carryover to my deadlift.

Front Squat
5x6@145

Strict Press
9x2@155

Superset all working sets with 2 15yd picks and carries with a 175lb sandbag.

This was one of the hardest workouts I have done in a while. The whole time I was doing front squats I was huffing and puffing. This workout is gonna do a lot for body comp and conditioning.

Yesterday’s Training
Squat
9x2@335

Bench
6x4@245

Deadlift
5x6@295

Today I decided just to work that deadlift/row hybrid with conventional and sumo stance.
10@95
10@135
10@155
10@185
10@205
50total reps@225 alternating stance througout

Did some pinch grip work between sets. I need to do some more of this. I figure the deadlifts and rows work my crush grip, the sandbag works the flat hand grip, so I’ll do some pinch grip to round it out.

Front Squat
6x4@175

Strict Press
5x6@125

In between all the working sets, I attempted a clean and press with my 175lb sandbag. Out of the 11 working sets I was able to clean the bag every time and I managed to press it 5 different times. It felt awesome to be able to press the thing, especially when I struggled to pick it up off the ground a little over a month ago.

So let me give a brief history of my lifting career so that you might understand some of my decisions in regard to training. I started lifting weights with football when I was in the 7th grade. I wasn’t really a natural at it. I had to work at it to make my gains. Fast forward to 11th grade and I discovered the super squats book and tried it out. I worked my way up to 245x20 and thought I was pretty strong.

After that I figured I would see what I could do. My weight set only went up to 300lbs, so I loaded that up and did three very ugly reps. All felt fine though. The next day I had varsity baseball tryouts. At the end of practice we were running the bases and when I rounded first I felt something catch in my back. For the next few weeks I had some of the worst back pain. I went to a chiropractor, but it was a basic, regular yoga routine that fixed the issue.

Ever since that point in time I have had to struggle with flare ups of this back pain. I have found that back squats, the thing which hurt my back in the first place, are usually the key contributor. Deadlifts don’t bother me, arching my back for bench does not bother me, and front squats don’t bother me. Back Squats do. I can do them for one or two months, but the pain eventually hits.

So that is where I am at now. My back started hurting last night and a little worse this morning. I have been doing yoga and mobility stuff but it still came on. With all of that being said, I decided to drop back squats to just one day a week until I do this competition in February. After that I will just compete in push/pull powerlifting competitions until I feel ready for a strongman competition. I will still do lots of front squats and I may even try to rig up a ssb to squat with in the future. My end game is strongman competitions and I haven’t seen too many local strongman comps with a back squat event.

So since my back hurt today, I just did the bench portion of my workout and it went amazing.

Bench
9x2@275
I walked a lap around my yard after every set for some active rest time. When my training kind of dropped off about a year and a half ago my max was 285. So this is really exciting to see.

I just did a competition this weekend in Maine that had Axle Back Squats for reps, it turned boys into men.

1 Like