Questions About Creatine

[quote]Govi wrote:

[quote]deadman1206 wrote:

[quote]Govi wrote:

[quote]deadman1206 wrote:
Hey guys I used creatine (monohydrate) for a few months previously but I don’t think that I got the most out of it. I’ve been off it for 3-4 weeks and I want to start using it again, since I can feel that I’m losing a few reps, and because I am trying to lean out, so I need any boost I can get with lifting. I have some questions.

Would you recommend loading or not? Last time I just started taking 1/2 a teaspoon daily and that eventually increased to a full teaspoon. Should I load this time? Last time I didn’t load because I was worried that something bad would happen with all that creatine, but now I think that it is a safe supplement.

When’s the best time to take it? Before, I either took it in the morning or after training on training days (with the post workout shake). It seemed to me that the time you take it doesn’t make much difference. But one problem I had was some trouble sleeping. It felt like my brain was always “on” and I couldn’t get to sleep. Sometimes I would get to sleep but wake up after a few hours with this “on” feeling. This was beneficial at first (studying when tired etc.) but soon got tiresome. What’s the best time to take it so that I can avoid his problem?

Thanks for any help.[/quote]

Even though this is an old thread, I had to make an account to comment on this subject because I’ve been having this same problem with creatine mono. I’ve been having some sleep issues also while on creatine. I just recently started taking it this month and been having a real hard time falling asleep. I only take 3-5grams and I didn’t load. I don’t take any other supps besides a Whey Isolate and I train in the morning, so I just take it pre workout and sometimes post.

Its like my brain doesn’t want to shut down. I never had this problem before. I’ve been getting at max 2-4 hour sleep a night. My friend told me that I should just relax and im psyching myself out. Im using ON Creatine Mono creapure. I was considering buying a different brand or even a more expensive version of creatine like a Kre alk or Green Magnitude to see if it makes a difference.

Im curious to see how you combated this problem and if you’re still taking creatine.

[/quote]

I am still taking creatine. I was taking Universal Nutrition’s Creapure (probably the same as yours) and now I’m taking another Creapure. Fortunately, I don’t really have the sleep problems or buzzing feeling any more. I haven’t really had the issues come back, but it also doesn’t seem to make me thirsty like it did before, and I can’t really tell if it’s giving me a boost.

I take mine in the morning right after breakfast. I simply mix it into (warm or hot) water but I keep stirring and make sure it is fully dissolved before drinking. To be sure that the creatine is causing it, try taking a week off from creatine and see what happens. Creatine stays in your system for a while (like a month or more) but people who have sleep issues from it seem to have those issues go away within a few days of ceasing supplementation.

All I can recommend trying is a magnesium supplement. It doesn’t have to be taken at bed time (I take mine in the morning). Your issues might be due to unbalanced calcium and magnesium.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I’m glad you found a way around this. Funny thing is that im taking Orange Traid multi vitamin during the day and im taking a Jamieson brand Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement at night(Kind of like a shit version of ZMA)So im not sure if its an unbalanced, but it could be.

I’m going to take next week off the gym and recooperate and try and get my sleep in check. I’m going to take your advice and go a week without the creatine to see how things go. I kind of got anxious today and ordered some Melatonin, GABA and ZMA. When those come in, im going to introduce them one at a time and play around with each to see if I can regulate my sleep cycle.
I don’t plan on dependning on these things, but I just need it to help get this in order.

Thanks again, im glad everything worked out for ya. I guess there is hope for me yet! :D[/quote]

Don’t take calcium with zinc and magnesium…what a stupid product. On the ZMA bottle, it specifically says to not take with calcium.

GABA and ZMA are great night time supplements and help me sleep well. I’m not sure if taking a week off of creatine will have much effect, due to creatine levels being elevated for a long period of time. Your creatine levels will be near what they currently are after taking a week off(at least from my experience).