Questions About Creatine

Just do 5g a day, and stop thinking about it. Creatine use does not require this much consideration.

[quote]csulli wrote:
I really hope the creatine isn’t fucking up your sleep, because I am a huge creatine fanboy (as you can probably tell by how defensive I get) and it would suck a lot if such an effective supplement hurt your sleep (which you need for recovery!). If it is, hopefully there is an equally effective workaround.

I would say 3-5 grams is good for like 99% of everyone doing anything so yeah. I don’t really think loading helps (you’ll probably pee most of it out), but creatine isn’t too expensive so if you want to do some loading just in case more power to ya.[/quote]

If the creatine was to blame for my sleep issues, do you think it was because of the specific creatine product I was taking?
It’s a reputable brand, but recognize that it’s not Creapure. So, ostensibly, it could be impure.

[quote]deadman1206 wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
I really hope the creatine isn’t fucking up your sleep, because I am a huge creatine fanboy (as you can probably tell by how defensive I get) and it would suck a lot if such an effective supplement hurt your sleep (which you need for recovery!). If it is, hopefully there is an equally effective workaround.

I would say 3-5 grams is good for like 99% of everyone doing anything so yeah. I don’t really think loading helps (you’ll probably pee most of it out), but creatine isn’t too expensive so if you want to do some loading just in case more power to ya.[/quote]

If the creatine was to blame for my sleep issues, do you think it was because of the specific creatine product I was taking?
It’s a reputable brand, but recognize that it’s not Creapure. So, ostensibly, it could be impure.[/quote]

Doubtful.

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:
Well, you’re better off taking the creatine 5 grams a day. Take it WITHOUT you’re protein shake, the creatine tends to have a fewer absorption rate when combined with the shakes. Creatine doesn;t get you lean… it gets you stronger. Creatines job is to refuel the creatine phosphate atoms in you’re muscle fibers. Thus refuels your energy. Hence why is says increases STRENGTH,ENDURANCE plus you’ll gain water weight. Take the creatine with amino pills and a carb filled drink. Gatorade? Works perfect. Hope I helped.[/quote]
I loled every five words.[/quote]

I lole’d at the fact you’re doubting a man who works at a GNC that went to college for this shit. You fucking idiot. Yeah, protein shakes like mass gainers contain creatine, afterglow has kre alkalyne, but it’s designed in a certain way. Yeah creatine will still work if you mix it with the shake. But the absorption rate is less. He explained the whole process. Give me you’re vivid and oh so TALENTED advice.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

It’s a reputable brand, but recognize that it’s not Creapure. So, ostensibly, it could be impure.[/quote]

Doubtful.
[/quote]

Quick FYI, that is a fuckload of cash to be paying for creatine. (I’m assuming you’re in the UK) Shop around and you can get it for less than half the price :slight_smile:

As to the sleep issue, what time do you train? If it’s later in the day it could be that.

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:
Well, you’re better off taking the creatine 5 grams a day. Take it WITHOUT you’re protein shake, the creatine tends to have a fewer absorption rate when combined with the shakes. Creatine doesn;t get you lean… it gets you stronger. Creatines job is to refuel the creatine phosphate atoms in you’re muscle fibers. Thus refuels your energy. Hence why is says increases STRENGTH,ENDURANCE plus you’ll gain water weight. Take the creatine with amino pills and a carb filled drink. Gatorade? Works perfect. Hope I helped.[/quote]

I lole’d at the fact you’re doubting a man who works at a GNC that went to college for this shit. You fucking idiot. Yeah, protein shakes like mass gainers contain creatine, afterglow has kre alkalyne, but it’s designed in a certain way. Yeah creatine will still work if you mix it with the shake. But the absorption rate is less. He explained the whole process. Give me you’re vivid and oh so TALENTED advice. [/quote]
This is gold, thank you!

I take it you majored in broscience?

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:

I lole’d at the fact you’re doubting a man who works at a GNC that went to college for this shit. You fucking idiot. Yeah, protein shakes like mass gainers contain creatine, afterglow has kre alkalyne, but it’s designed in a certain way. Yeah creatine will still work if you mix it with the shake. But the absorption rate is less. He explained the whole process. Give me you’re vivid and oh so TALENTED advice. [/quote]
This is gold, thank you!

I take it you majored in broscience?[/quote]

I loled at the fact that someone with a college degree would work at a GNC (outside of corporate). I also loled at the fact that you think employment at a GNC means ANYTHING.
I loled at ‘went to college for this shit’. And I loled at the dirty PM you sent me.

And I ALWAYS lol at 17 year old know-it-alls.

[quote]Jaycuts wrote:
I lole’d at the fact you’re doubting a man who works at a GNC that went to college for this shit. You fucking idiot. [/quote]

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

I loled at the fact that someone with a college degree would work at a GNC (outside of corporate). I also loled at the fact that you think employment at a GNC means ANYTHING.
I loled at ‘went to college for this shit’. And I loled at the dirty PM you sent me.

And I ALWAYS lol at 17 year old know-it-alls.[/quote]

The kid’s a troll. Best way to deal with a troll is to simply ignore him. He just craves attention, and he’s getting it, so he’s encouraged to continue. If we ignore him, eventually he’ll stop. And with time he’ll hopefully grow up and mature.

All that said, I was struck by one of the things you wrote. Much respect to you, flipcollar. I just want to point out that with the economy not doing so well, lots of college grads these days are having a tough time finding jobs. Maybe the best a guy could do right now is a job at GNC. At least he’s doing something productive. Or maybe it’s a second job, because his other job is only part-time, and everyone needs to pay the bills somehow. Or maybe he took that job to be close to a sick or ailing family member who needs help. There are lots of different possibilities, and we have no way of knowing any particular individual’s circumstances.

Again, much respect, man. Just wanted to point out that work is honorable, whether it be at the corporate level of GNC or in one of their stores as a salesman (or saleswoman).

WTF is with Jaycuts? That kid snaps at anything. I like his trolling though. Makes me LOL. Puts a smile on my dial.

IRT Creatine, you can’t really ‘deload’ from it. You will be absorbing creatine through the foods you eat. Mostly red meats. Just get back on it, and reap the benefits that you were experiencing before.

Love the “I work at GNC - respect me” comment. That made me chuckle all the way over here in the land of Oz!

[quote]anomie_nomad wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

The kid’s a troll. Best way to deal with a troll is to simply ignore him. He just craves attention, and he’s getting it, so he’s encouraged to continue. If we ignore him, eventually he’ll stop. And with time he’ll hopefully grow up and mature.

All that said, I was struck by one of the things you wrote. Much respect to you, flipcollar. I just want to point out that with the economy not doing so well, lots of college grads these days are having a tough time finding jobs. Maybe the best a guy could do right now is a job at GNC. At least he’s doing something productive. Or maybe it’s a second job, because his other job is only part-time, and everyone needs to pay the bills somehow. Or maybe he took that job to be close to a sick or ailing family member who needs help. There are lots of different possibilities, and we have no way of knowing any particular individual’s circumstances.

Again, much respect, man. Just wanted to point out that work is honorable, whether it be at the corporate level of GNC or in one of their stores as a salesman (or saleswoman).
[/quote]

You’re right. There’s nothing wrong with a job like that. My experience with GNC has been overwhelmingly negative, but I do know that it’s certainly possible, given the economy and all that, this kid may have found a reasonably educated, competent employee there.

One of my best friends from a major private university with an electrical engineering degree worked at Fuddruckers after college. So I get it.

Also, well put Nomad. very much appreciate the civility, and I always welcome being called out.

So I’ve been taking the stuff for a while (teaspoon per day) and here’s what has happened: nothing! I’ve had no insane thirst, no water weight gain, ostensibly no boost in performance and none of the sleep issues. I think that the creatine product I am using is garbage. When I first used creatine (different brand),

I was only taking half a teaspoon per day yet (no loading phase) it made me insanely thirsty and I could tell that it was working when I went to lift by less rest time between sets, being able to push out more reps at a given weight, and my 1RM bench looked very smooth and fast (increased explosiveness). I’m going to finish what I have of this product and then buy Reflex’s creapure creatine. I’ll use that stuff with a loading phase. At least then I will be able to know that it’s working.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]anomie_nomad wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[/quote]

You’re right. There’s nothing wrong with a job like that. My experience with GNC has been overwhelmingly negative, but I do know that it’s certainly possible, given the economy and all that, this kid may have found a reasonably educated, competent employee there.

One of my best friends from a major private university with an electrical engineering degree worked at Fuddruckers after college. So I get it.

Also, well put Nomad. very much appreciate the civility, and I always welcome being called out.[/quote]

EE degree and didn’t get a job? He must have been doing something wrong because they hand out EE jobs like candy.

OP,
5g/day after a workout is fine. A week of loading at the start of a cycle(20g/day) can be beneficial. Some people say loading is pointless, other live by that idea. I personally load it but I’m not sure if it makes much difference. You can argue with getting “maximum absorbtion” taking it with simple sugars, not mixing with your shake, blah blah. At the end of the day, it probably doesn’t matter at all. Better to keep things simple :slight_smile:

Hey guys I used creatine (monohydrate) for a few months previously but I don’t think that I got the most out of it. I’ve been off it for 3-4 weeks and I want to start using it again, since I can feel that I’m losing a few reps, and because I am trying to lean out, so I need any boost I can get with lifting. I have some questions.

Would you recommend loading or not? Last time I just started taking 1/2 a teaspoon daily and that eventually increased to a full teaspoon. Should I load this time? Last time I didn’t load because I was worried that something bad would happen with all that creatine, but now I think that it is a safe supplement.

When’s the best time to take it? Before, I either took it in the morning or after training on training days (with the post workout shake). It seemed to me that the time you take it doesn’t make much difference. But one problem I had was some trouble sleeping. It felt like my brain was always “on” and I couldn’t get to sleep. Sometimes I would get to sleep but wake up after a few hours with this “on” feeling. This was beneficial at first (studying when tired etc.) but soon got tiresome. What’s the best time to take it so that I can avoid his problem?

Thanks for any help.[/quote]

Even though this is an old thread, I had to make an account to comment on this subject because I’ve been having this same problem with creatine mono. I’ve been having some sleep issues also while on creatine. I just recently started taking it this month and been having a real hard time falling asleep. I only take 3-5grams and I didn’t load. I don’t take any other supps besides a Whey Isolate and I train in the morning, so I just take it pre workout and sometimes post.

Its like my brain doesn’t want to shut down. I never had this problem before. I’ve been getting at max 2-4 hour sleep a night. My friend told me that I should just relax and im psyching myself out. Im using ON Creatine Mono creapure. I was considering buying a different brand or even a more expensive version of creatine like a Kre alk or Green Magnitude to see if it makes a difference.

Im curious to see how you combated this problem and if you’re still taking creatine.

[quote]Govi wrote:

Hey guys I used creatine (monohydrate) for a few months previously but I don’t think that I got the most out of it. I’ve been off it for 3-4 weeks and I want to start using it again, since I can feel that I’m losing a few reps, and because I am trying to lean out, so I need any boost I can get with lifting. I have some questions.

Would you recommend loading or not? Last time I just started taking 1/2 a teaspoon daily and that eventually increased to a full teaspoon. Should I load this time? Last time I didn’t load because I was worried that something bad would happen with all that creatine, but now I think that it is a safe supplement.

When’s the best time to take it? Before, I either took it in the morning or after training on training days (with the post workout shake). It seemed to me that the time you take it doesn’t make much difference. But one problem I had was some trouble sleeping. It felt like my brain was always “on” and I couldn’t get to sleep. Sometimes I would get to sleep but wake up after a few hours with this “on” feeling. This was beneficial at first (studying when tired etc.) but soon got tiresome. What’s the best time to take it so that I can avoid his problem?

Even though this is an old thread, I had to make an account to comment on this subject because I’ve been having this same problem with creatine mono. I’ve been having some sleep issues also while on creatine. I just recently started taking it this month and been having a real hard time falling asleep. I only take 3-5grams and I didn’t load. I don’t take any other supps besides a Whey Isolate and I train in the morning, so I just take it pre workout and sometimes post.

Its like my brain doesn’t want to shut down. I never had this problem before. I’ve been getting at max 2-4 hour sleep a night. My friend told me that I should just relax and im psyching myself out. Im using ON Creatine Mono creapure. I was considering buying a different brand or even a more expensive version of creatine like a Kre alk or Green Magnitude to see if it makes a difference.

Im curious to see how you combated this problem and if you’re still taking creatine.

[/quote]

I have never heard of these sleep issues. Yes, creatine increases your cognitive brain function. That is proven. But it sounds like you’re just having a hard time winding down from this elevated cognitive state. Try some deep meditation before bed and see if that helps.

atp-pc

How about the effects of creative and elevated liver enzymes? Would creatine cause your liver enzymes to spike?

[/quote]

I have never heard of these sleep issues. Yes, creatine increases your cognitive brain function. That is proven. But it sounds like you’re just having a hard time winding down from this elevated cognitive state. Try some deep meditation before bed and see if that helps. [/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Last night I took one of my wifes old prescription sleeping pills and it was the first time in amonth I got 7hour sleep. I feel great today.

I’m probably just psyching myself out and like you said, I need to wind down and relax some how.

I was considering just going off the creatine for a week to see if my sleep returns to normal. Would you recommend this? Or should I just continue taking it and focus on relaxing? I was also considering Valerian root or even ZMA.

[quote]Govi wrote:

[/quote]

I am still taking creatine. I was taking Universal Nutrition’s Creapure (probably the same as yours) and now I’m taking another Creapure. Fortunately, I don’t really have the sleep problems or buzzing feeling any more. I haven’t really had the issues come back, but it also doesn’t seem to make me thirsty like it did before, and I can’t really tell if it’s giving me a boost.

I take mine in the morning right after breakfast. I simply mix it into (warm or hot) water but I keep stirring and make sure it is fully dissolved before drinking. To be sure that the creatine is causing it, try taking a week off from creatine and see what happens. Creatine stays in your system for a while (like a month or more) but people who have sleep issues from it seem to have those issues go away within a few days of ceasing supplementation.

All I can recommend trying is a magnesium supplement. It doesn’t have to be taken at bed time (I take mine in the morning). Your issues might be due to unbalanced calcium and magnesium.

[quote]Govi wrote:

[/quote]

I am still taking creatine. I was taking Universal Nutrition’s Creapure (probably the same as yours) and now I’m taking another Creapure. Fortunately, I don’t really have the sleep problems or buzzing feeling any more. I haven’t really had the issues come back, but it also doesn’t seem to make me thirsty like it did before, and I can’t really tell if it’s giving me a boost.

I take mine in the morning right after breakfast. I simply mix it into (warm or hot) water but I keep stirring and make sure it is fully dissolved before drinking. To be sure that the creatine is causing it, try taking a week off from creatine and see what happens. Creatine stays in your system for a while (like a month or more) but people who have sleep issues from it seem to have those issues go away within a few days of ceasing supplementation.

All I can recommend trying is a magnesium supplement. It doesn’t have to be taken at bed time (I take mine in the morning). Your issues might be due to unbalanced calcium and magnesium.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I’m glad you found a way around this. Funny thing is that im taking Orange Traid multi vitamin during the day and im taking a Jamieson brand Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement at night(Kind of like a shit version of ZMA)So im not sure if its an unbalanced, but it could be.

I’m going to take next week off the gym and recooperate and try and get my sleep in check. I’m going to take your advice and go a week without the creatine to see how things go. I kind of got anxious today and ordered some Melatonin, GABA and ZMA. When those come in, im going to introduce them one at a time and play around with each to see if I can regulate my sleep cycle.
I don’t plan on dependning on these things, but I just need it to help get this in order.

Thanks again, im glad everything worked out for ya. I guess there is hope for me yet! :smiley: