Question to You Guys: What Do You THINK is the Main Driver for Muscle Growth?

Yes eventually the body adapts to anything you’re doing. Hence why after 2-3 sessions of stagnation Dante would have guys rotate that movement out and put something else in its place.

Now you’re having to adapt to a new movement which keeps the gains coming.

1 Like

Not sure how long ago this was, but were you using the original A/B split protocol along with the prescribed diet, stretching and all?

Yes. To the letter. Along with all the drug users. And made awesome gains.

2 Likes

I know you’re an advocate of 1g/lb protein intake and have said more is unnecessary, but do you attribute any of that success to the 2g/lb consumption that DC calls for? Or is it just the intense training coupled with the super high caloric intake that accompanies taking in 4-500g of protein a day?

1 Like

I’ve seen people mention Israetel quite a bit here. From what I’ve read on IG, it his recommendations and personal practices can have one living part-time in the gym. Last month he wrote he and his training partner had a schedule of eleven sessions a week! A few days ago he recommended training side delts two to six times per week for three to twelve sets. How can someone deal with this?

You know that Mike openly admits to using steroids, right?

First it was squat every day, now it’s side delts every day.

I think Mike Israetel is getting nostalgic for the USSR, him and Renaissance Periodization are going to open a Soviet training camp soon.

1 Like

Not sure how that will work out. He’s a Randist. :grinning:

He looks his best ever though.

Pretty sure he meant number of clients based on training methods.

Do you think staying in the 90% of 1rm for your working sets has any negative or positive sides?

Definitely

4 Likes

I’d rather follow someone who believes less is more and minimum effective dose. Not fun to be a stimulus addict. Gym can easily become an addiction.

1 Like

CT has a good post here I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I... - Christian Thibaudeau - Thibarmy | Facebook

1 Like

Care to elaborate?

What does that have to do with the fact that he’s calling out people for drug use while talking about the success of others who also happen to use drugs?

And what does your comment even mean? How is a number of clients based on training methods?

"Outside of Mike do any of those guys look jacked at all? Who have they actually produced with a training system? I mean with any significant amount of muscle that didn’t have any before?

I’ve got a long list of clients, including IFBB pros, that are bigger now than they were before they worked with me. Does Brad have a system that has produced a bunch of mass monsters? Eric? Nuckols?"

This is what Paul wrote, a pretty straight forward response was given I don’t understand your confusion.

You responded to me, not Paul. And you still aren’t making a whole lot of sense.

The other guy is trying to argue that the successful training systems that use low volume and hard sets are only successful due to steroids and Mike and his clients are clean, but Mike doesn’t hide the fact that he uses steroids so his argument is totally baseless.

As for you, I’m not even sure what you are trying to say or who you are arguing with, despite the fact that

Maybe you need to improve your communication skills.

Our very own @The_Mighty_Stu and had a conversation about the topics and debacles discussed here. At the 25:00 mark it really gets good.

Mike Mentzer

"The idea is not more is better or less is better but that precise is best. Precision is the key. Exactly how many sets per workout and how often? It’s similar to what happens when you take a medication. Once you discover what medication is required, the next logical step is to discover how much’the dosage. How much of the drug should you take and how often? In fact, I make the point again in Heavy Duty II that exercise science should be properly viewed as flowing from medical science, with some of the principles from medical science carrying over and having application to exercise science.

In medicine the first job of the researcher is to discover exactly what chemical compound will effect the desired physical result. And as I said, the next step is to discover how much and how often. In bodybuilding we’re also looking to effect the desired physical result, in this case not by taking a drug but by imposing the appropriate training stimulus, namely high intensity. Once we know that, the next ineluctable, logical step is to discover how much in terms of volume and frequency.

The majority of volume bodybuilders are performing a random, arbitrary number of sets, with the exercise science establishment advocating up to 60 sets a day, six or seven days a week. You and I both know that represents gross overtraining, and for the bodybuilder who is not genetically gifted or taking steroids, it’s useless. For those not taking extremely large amounts of recovery-ability enhancers, such as steroids and growth hormone, it’s even counterproductive."

1 Like

“Dorian does not follow Heavy Duty training to a T. He’s making the mistake of thinking, as I mentioned earlier, that less is better, not that precise is best. Beyond that, he uses momentum, thrust and ballistics to get the weight started and keep it moving. That’s why he injured himself. We suggest safe training’again, with a higher number of reps done fairly slowly over a full range of motion. That’s the safest, most productive exercise possible. I’d like to see anyone provide evidence to the contrary.”

1 Like